Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

roots blown gs430

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-17, 06:37 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
Default most recent video

Old 06-08-17, 06:47 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Default most recent pics

heres some most recent exhaust mods. went to full stainless thick walled 409 at 2 1/4 inch diameter to get the exhaust velocity up. so its now 2 1/4 all the way down. and I wrapped the front half of the exhaust pipe to keep it hot as possible to help keep up the velocity.
Attached Thumbnails roots blown gs430-img_0043.jpg   roots blown gs430-img_0025.jpg  
Old 06-18-17, 08:58 PM
GS400V8
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

How are you liking the stock converter back in the car? I've been thinking of doing this too, I feel like at WOT it is slipping too much. I'm not talking about during shifts because those are snappy now with my valve body mods, but rather the way that the power is delivered in each gear and I believe it might be worse with the procharger.

Also are you getting more attention with that hood, like people asking what the car is, etc?
Old 06-18-17, 09:09 PM
GS400V8
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Also can you describe the acceleration of that thing? I love to hear this type of stuff when Im building mine up. I'm also thinking of putting my stock 3.23 ring gear back in mounted to the LSD unit. I miss that 150mph

Last edited by GS400V8; 06-18-17 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-20-17, 08:25 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS400V8
How are you liking the stock converter back in the car? I've been thinking of doing this too, I feel like at WOT it is slipping too much. I'm not talking about during shifts because those are snappy now with my valve body mods, but rather the way that the power is delivered in each gear and I believe it might be worse with the procharger.

Also are you getting more attention with that hood, like people asking what the car is, etc?
the car does get alot more looks. especially since im rocking the much larger tires now. today a state trooper pulled up beside me and gave me a thumbs up. I would of raced him or tried if there wasn't so much traffic.
after i put the stock torque converter back in, i noticed much firmer shifting and it hasn't bounced off the rev limiter once. long story short, the stock converter is a better part. less heat on trans. too.
Old 08-20-17, 01:04 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Default Update

The game has changed completely for this car now. The entire intake system has been revised and once done with that, I felt it was time to go with an even smaller supercharger pulley to get it to a whopping nine psi. All on stock computer at that. The car is an absolute beast now. Going up from 6 psi. to 9 awoke a sleeping giant deep within the bowels of the supercharger. Here's the break down.

While doing research into the benefits of the intake system on positive displacement superchargers breathing better, I found that guys are getting more boost just from enlarging their intake systems and throttle bodies going to the supercharger. So I felt the next step was to revisit my current setup from the air filter all the way up to the side pipe that feeds the air to the supercharger. I began taking measurements with a micrometer only to quickly discover that I had a roller coaster of different inner diameter piping. So, after finding maxbore.com down in florida, I discovered that he could take my stock throttle body and gut it out and bore it out on his cnc machine and get it opened up. The stock inner diameter is 76mm. He was able to bore it to 80mm. which in the world of positive displacement breathing is huge. So, that means I now had to match that inner diameter to the rest of the system. I went and bought a 3 1/2 inch 90 degree elbow to make a new larger intake side pipe that goes from the tb to the inlet of the supercharger. Therefore it would have an inner diameter that matches the tb now. Which than led me to go off the deep end on designing the intake pipe that goes from the air filter up to the throttle body. And that is where the challenge was. Going bigger on the intake pipe that houses the MAF sensor would cause huge drive ability problems that I've managed to avoid this whole time. IF you've read my posts Im sure your aware by now what problems that can create. I had to figure out how I was going to go from 71mm inner diameter piping to 80mm while keeping fuel trims under control. All because I have no way to skew the MAF signal since I don't have any kind of piggy back computer for it. I found a percentage change calculator that allowed me to do the math and figure out what change in inner diameter would match slightly large injectors other than the factory flow rate I was running.
I was concerned that going to larger on intake diameter with matching injector flow rate differences would cause timing issues that could potentially destroy my engine (again, no piggy back). So I settled on 3 inch inner diameter just where the MAF sensor is but huge 3 1/2 pipe before it and after. And to help with the transition from 3 1/2 down to 3 1/4 than back up on the way to the throttle body, I tapered it so it created a jet like flow thru. A way to kind of speed up the air without it being a restriction. I was able to calculate that by running a 3 inch inner diameter MAF pipe I could run 330cc fuel injectors and be able to have fuel trims within an acceptable range as close to zero as possible. And I nailed it. Also when the car is started cold, it doesn't flood from being overly rich. The afr when cold started in open loop is about 12:1 which is perfect.
The only fine tuning required was adjusting the tps to make up for the larger throttle body bore. When the tb was bored out, he had to make a new throttle blade to fill the larger hole. which means that stock computer is opening the tb a certain amount that is now a larger amount due to the larger opening. At first when started the idle was almost 2,000 rpms. even after trying to reset the ecu to idle down on its own. but after a couple days of experimenting I was able to get the throttle percentage nailed down the where the car idles like stock. and not too high when first started. So! after all that said and done. The boost increased one full psi. I know, doesn't sound like alot but all I did was increase the tb 4 mm and made everything else match.
Once that was done, I felt it was time to make more boost. I ordered a smaller 2.9 inch pulley as opposed to the current one of 3.2 inches. And than made some rough changes to my fuel map for my ninth injector and increased the water flow rate for the water injection. Holy crap was all I said the first time I went out and nailed it. 285/35/19 rear tires don't stand a chance to the engines output now. On any asphalt. The car will break the tires loose at 40 miles per hour now when punched and just get squirrely until you let off. No doubt in my mind now why so many manufacturers are opting to go with positive displacement supercharger as opposed to turbos. The instant boost and torque can't be beat. Once it was all done, I treated the intake system to a much larger air filter 10 inches long 6 inches diameter and some DEI gold reflective tape to keep any heat out from the headers. Ill get some video up soon.
I forgot, I also installed the bullet cars supercharger manifold. Had to cut it up which made me cry because the hood still wouldn't close even with the hood scoop but it still serves the purpose of feeding monstrous amounts of air to the engine now.
Attached Thumbnails roots blown gs430-img_0065.jpg   roots blown gs430-img_0117.jpg   roots blown gs430-img_0119.jpg   roots blown gs430-img_0120.jpg   roots blown gs430-img_0105.jpg  

roots blown gs430-img_0107.jpg   roots blown gs430-img_0118.jpg   roots blown gs430-img_0130.jpg  

Last edited by badblackgs; 08-20-17 at 01:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GSJake (08-22-17)
Old 08-20-17, 02:40 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

what a cool read.. I've been on the Bulet website but all they offer is the lower manifold but for the LS400.. I think i messaged them at one point to make a kit. Cool you figured it out. You and GS400V8 are the only guys brave enough lol..

I did come across your youtube video on youtube lol... what a beast
Old 08-20-17, 03:53 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

MOAR VIDS! I know this is faster than my v8, I just want to see by how much. Try and get a looksy at the speedo next time if you remember...

I know you're combating knock with water/meth injection, but I'd still be nervous of the amount of ignition the stock ecu is commanding. After all it is set up for NA which will command a LOT more timing than recommended. Do you have any way of monitoring or logging ignition or knock?

I too am looking into a larger than 74mm throttle body...

Nice work.
Old 08-20-17, 04:56 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

when it knocks its louder than hell! it sounds like a coffee can full of marbles being shaken in the car. ive only heard it a couple of times during this forced induction endeavor. here in texas its been over 100 degrees and yesterday i was fine tuning the fuel map for the 9th injector and i was at nine psi. and over 6 thousand rpm's under heavy load and it started pinging bad. but i was in the middle of passing some **** head in a passat that was driving under the speed limit so i had to stay in it. i looked at the time and my afr was a little over 12:1 so when i got home i richened up the top end a bit and brought it down to 11:5 while its so hot out and than took it for another run. replicated same situation and no more pinging. plus I turned the **** up on the water flow rate. lol
Old 08-20-17, 05:09 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Originally Posted by badblackgs
when it knocks its louder than hell! it sounds like a coffee can full of marbles being shaken in the car. ive only heard it a couple of times during this forced induction endeavor. here in texas its been over 100 degrees and yesterday i was fine tuning the fuel map for the 9th injector and i was at nine psi. and over 6 thousand rpm's under heavy load and it started pinging bad. but i was in the middle of passing some **** head in a passat that was driving under the speed limit so i had to stay in it. i looked at the time and my afr was a little over 12:1 so when i got home i richened up the top end a bit and brought it down to 11:5 while its so hot out and than took it for another run. replicated same situation and no more pinging. plus I turned the **** up on the water flow rate. lol

Shoot first, ask questions later, I like your style BBGS!

Best keep your listening ears on eh? I've often dreamed of putting a GM harness and PCM on a toyota motor just for the tunability of HPTuners. I would guess it can be done if the firing order is the same on the UZ engines. Would just need the correct inputs for the cam and crank sensors.. But i'm a hack, thats probably not feasible...
Old 09-02-17, 12:01 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Default 9psi. and getting it!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by badblackgs:
bob256k (07-30-18), My1stV8GS (09-13-17)
Old 09-02-17, 12:20 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Bout 4-4.5 seconds to 60?? Nice
Old 09-02-17, 02:14 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Nice work BadBlackgs...
Old 09-03-17, 08:41 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Those Bullet guys are full of it..lol
Been asked them about a kit for the VVTi 1UZ and they keep telling me next year..lol
Nice work dude. A true enthusiast.
Old 09-04-17, 01:31 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by eskaeone
Those Bullet guys are full of it..lol
Been asked them about a kit for the VVTi 1UZ and they keep telling me next year..lol
Nice work dude. A true enthusiast.
I"ve contacted them also about a kit also.. So next year a kit for us 1UZ guys lol

Quick Reply: roots blown gs430