Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Road Race Motorsports Piggy back dyno test

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-15, 02:15 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Road Race Motorsports Piggy back dyno test

I purchased the piggy back system from RRM for my 2008 IS350. I'm going to do before and after dyno runs and 1/4 mile runs. I'll try to keep everything as legit as possible.
As of today, I have the piggy back system on the way. I've done a before dyno pull and I've done a before 1/4 mile run. I was told the system will get here mid next week. I'll drive it for about a week then for my after tests. So after tests should be June 4th, if shipping and etc go as planned.

Here are my before numbers. 3 runs in snow mode, 4th gear, VSC off. Outside conditions (temp and humidity) are attached as well.

!!!!!!AFTER!!!!!!
Here are the results of the piggy back. It was installed on my car for 224.1 miles before the "After" runs. Looks like the best HP increase was 254hp, But I'll let the dyno sheets do the talking. As for the piggy back's tune, my tuner said it could use some work. Said it should be leaner at the top end and richer til max torque rpm. But again, I'll let the dyno sheets talk.

Last edited by skyshadow; 06-03-15 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-21-15, 05:27 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Cool, can't wait to see the results!

Could you imagine how cool it would be if this car actually has huge potential but no one ever knee because there was no one to tune these vehicles? I'm honestly just excited to know that someone's at least trying and if this nets at least 8-10whp I'm all in on ordering mine next. Good luck!!
Old 05-21-15, 05:52 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I agree. Like the Nissian and Infifity z's / g's, a tune with bolt-ons net a pretty nice power gain. I'm dreaming of 20-30hp whp. I'd be happy to see 10plus
I was told the tq curve is nearly the same but a few bar up on the graph. Meaning drivability is there just more responsive.
Old 05-22-15, 05:17 AM
badx33
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Is it me or are those HP and TQ numbers really low..
Old 05-22-15, 06:25 AM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by badx33
Is it me or are those HP and TQ numbers really low..
They look proportional to where the dyno pulls are being taken; Oklahoma is at least 1,300 ft above sea level (lowest place in OK). How high are you above sea level affects how much air the engine gets (even with a fan and the car compensating). Of course besides the elevation, other factors are to be considered (age, mileage, mods, etc.).
Old 05-22-15, 07:57 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do they look proportional? I can't find much on any "spec" of whp, only bhp. For whp, the number I could find was done as a "before" for the Joe Z intake. That showed around 265 whp.
From here
I plugged in
70 degrees
28.9 in. mg
32 percent humid
and it showed 98.5% adjustment, which would bring the whp to 261. So skyshadow's number does look a little low. I know very little about dyno'ing cars, but I'd like to know the source of the discrepancy.
How many miles?
Mods are injen air intake and a custom exhaust with x-pipe. Supposedly that should increase HP, not reduce it, although I certainly have no idea how good the custom exhaust is. Any other mods?
How often should a dynojet be calibrated?
When I do see dyno runs, all plotted on the same sheet, you typically see several hp difference between highest and lowest runs, but not around 15 hp, which is what we see here, though admittedly when comparing dyno runs between 2 different cars I'd expect a larger difference than between 2 separate runs on the same car.

Anybody with more explanation??? Please weigh in.
I hope skyshadow's car is running ok
Old 05-22-15, 09:20 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

The car has 47k miles on it. My exhaust set up is true dual, cat back, resonators deleted, with a stamped x pipe. The shop is 1261ft above sea level.
I agree, the numbers are not as high as I would wish. But if you think about it, I have premium Lexus wheels which are heavy. That could count for a lot of parasitic loss. The numbers are 19% below crank power number released by Lexus. Honestly not that bad. The dynojet could be calibrated low, I'm not sure. The shop is a Corvette based shop, seeing rather large numbers regularly. But honestly the numbers are erroneous, the change after the tuner is plugged in is what matters. Bret (my tuner) will not calibrate between before and after, I will not change anything else either. If there is a power difference, you will see it on the dyno pulls.
Also, I don't think the exhaust and intake are hurting the power output.. I am going by what my tuner said but he has tested 2 other IS350 and a ISF on NOS. He said the AFR, HP, and TQ look accurate to the type of car.

Last edited by skyshadow; 05-22-15 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-22-15, 03:07 PM
massaker
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet! Thanks for stepping up and taking a risk on it. I'm hopeful!
Old 05-22-15, 03:24 PM
lexus316
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for testing
We dont care about peak hp.
What we want to know the gain of rrm piggy back

There isnt any dyno that give the same hp

Thanks again
Old 05-22-15, 03:57 PM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you know how heavy your wheels are compared to stock?
Old 05-22-15, 05:38 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I assume that the dyno runs after the install will be done on this same dyno for sake of correct comparisons?

Does the RRM piggyback offer tuner/PC inputs to dial-in the car while on the dyno? Will your tuner assist with tuning your piggyback?

Also, do the instructions dictate for how long after the initial install that you should let the car re-learn everything? I assume that you'll follow these instructions in order to get the most accurate dyno data?

Lastly, does the RRM piggyback offer long-term effects that last longer than the 1 week period that the all other piggybacks previously installed on our IS350s did? Perhaps too early to tell, but will you be able to do a follow-up post dyno session two weeks or so after the initial install to ensure the piggyback hasn't been "over-run" or corrected by the OEM ECU?

Looking forward to your results!
Old 05-23-15, 08:37 AM
WillK
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't read up on the 350 yet- Is dynoing in snow mode the standard and 4th gear? Is 4th one-to-one?

I would think snow mode would cause to to pull some timing and power...(?)

As for variances in dyno numbers, it could be many things- age, mileage, air temp,humidity, elevation, the dyno itself, spark plug wear, quality of gas, mods... the list goes on...

But the OP is seeing 19% drivetrain loss, which isn't too bad.
He might be right, his wheels might not be helping that.

As for the piggyback- I wish you luck. I know it's been a huge issue for years. IMO, I don't think there's too much left to tune for NA set-ups. We're getting a lot of power out of a V6, RWD 306 hp set up. I hope I'm wrong though...
Old 05-23-15, 09:59 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Yes, The "after" pulls will be on the same dyno. Nothing will change except the RRM piggy back. Of course, some things I can not keep from changing like Humidity and temp. My tuner agreed to make pulls at whatever time of the day is closest in temp to the before run. I should have the same tank of gas as well, I got a full tank right before the "before" pulls.

Snow mode was done because that was what was asked for. I'm not sure why you guys wanted me to do that, But it was requested so I did it. It will remain in snow mode on the after pulls.

RRM told me to put 100 miles on the car after plugging in to ensure the tune sets. No time line was asked for though. I will do a 3rd pull set but after my tuner works some magic on the RRM piggy back to try to pull more power out of their tune. The good part of that is it will be much more than a few weeks after initial plug in. Bad news is the tune will be changed anyways.

Yes 4th gear is a 1-1 ratio. That is the gear the pulls were done in.

I hope you're wrong about the original tune as well haa. My tuner did say he saw potential with my current AFR numbers and such. Said he could get some more power out of it.
Old 05-23-15, 05:44 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by WillK
IMO, I don't think there's too much left to tune for NA set-ups. We're getting a lot of power out of a V6, RWD 306 hp set up. I hope I'm wrong though...
Surprisingly, there's still a lot of available horsepower to extract from the 2GR-FSE with a more aggressive tune.

In Japan, SARD was able to get an additional 40rwhp out of a JDM IS350 by tuning the ECU and raising the rev limiter. Similar horsepower gains were extracted out of the JDM IS-F via an ECU tune.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...rwhp-gain.html

Unfortunately, the JDM IS350 dyno sheet with the + 40rwhp gain that Nigel-JDMparts had posted on the original thread is no longer available.
Old 05-24-15, 08:55 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
Surprisingly, there's still a lot of available horsepower to extract from the 2GR-FSE with a more aggressive tune.

In Japan, SARD was able to get an additional 40rwhp out of a JDM IS350 by tuning the ECU and raising the rev limiter. Similar horsepower gains were extracted out of the JDM IS-F via an ECU tune.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...rwhp-gain.html

SARD ECU Max RPM - 7230 - YouTube

Unfortunately, the JDM IS350 dyno sheet with the + 40rwhp gain that Nigel-JDMparts had posted on the original thread is no longer available.
Huh, I had always thought that SARD only made a tune for the ISF?

So then if this is true, then simply raising the rev limiter and tuning the ecu a bit can bring a big increase in power to the is350? That would be awesome if this is true. But I can't help but wonder how this affects the reliability of the vehicle in the long term

Quick Reply: Road Race Motorsports Piggy back dyno test