Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Black Soots From Exhaust all over rear bumper and trunk

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-15, 11:44 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Black Soots From Exhaust all over rear bumper and trunk

I have been running with FSport exhaust for 3 years now and after a few days of driving, my rear bumper and trunk gets a layer of black soots. Only the back get dusty and dirty very quickly. I do not have this problem with stock exhaust or M2 exhaust on another IS.

What exhaust are you running and do you have this problem? Thanks.
Old 04-02-15, 01:11 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Nvidia mid + F-sport and I don't have that problem. Only the exhaust tips gets really dirty
Old 04-02-15, 01:12 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Is it the IS250 that gets dirty or the IS350? If the IS250, I'd suggest it might be carbon build-up related.
Old 04-02-15, 01:34 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Smoky, you have FSport and no dusting issue on the rear bumper and trunk??

Gville350, yes it is on my IS250 2012. I thought 2012 version doesn't have the carbon issue no more. I had my car diagnosed at dealership not too long ago about rough idling and no code, no misfire, no nothing, everything checked. They even double check with a master technician.
The funny thing is I do not have this dusting issue with the OEM stock exhaust.
Old 04-02-15, 01:42 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Perhaps the OEM muffler's buffling catches the build-up and the F-sport's straight-through design doesn't as much? IDK, but I've seen several IS250 on here mentioning that issue before; even low-mileage ones.
Old 04-02-15, 01:57 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

I'm very worrying now and is calling my service adviser regarding this.

What year model does IS250 have carbon build up? Also, what are the common symptoms of carbon build up?
Old 04-02-15, 02:34 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My Acura TSX would get this really bad as well. The bumper would get stained black and I would have to use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to get it off (I wouldn't use it anywhere else on the car). But this was because a large number of the 04 TSXs had an issue where the cylinder wasn't perfectly round and oil would get past the rings and blow out the exhaust.
Old 04-02-15, 02:52 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Little confused her. Are we talking about just fine dirt and dust on the rear end or visible exhaust soot in the area around and above the exhaust tips? Provide a picture.

My starfire pearl 350 gets a layer of fine dark dust/dirt on the rear end a day after it is washed. I think it has to do with airflow around the rear of the car.

Edit: Just noticed that your 250 is starfire pearl with the myride diffuser. The exhaust tips are sunken in from the diffuser. I would bet that's your problem coupled with white paint.

Last edited by VTsuckah; 04-02-15 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-02-15, 03:09 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

4 things:
1. Black soots on the exhaust tips especially the right side. This is normal like everyone else.
2. Fine layer of black dust (look very much like the exhaust soot residues) on the rear bumper and trunk and NOT anywhere else. I wonder if people have this as well. My car is always clean and shinny except the back end.
3. It does NOT happen when I have the OEM exhaust before, same car we are talking about here so I don't think it is airflow. Well I don't know lol.
4. I don't have this issue on my IS350.
Old 04-02-15, 04:10 PM
hirsch2is
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you using 91 octane. Sounds like an incomplete burn of fuel to me.
Old 04-02-15, 04:18 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Yes I'm using 91 premium gas all times. I think that could be a possibility, I also suspect it is running rich?
Old 04-02-15, 04:50 PM
hirsch2is
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm are you a consistently spirited driver or just occasionally? Also do you fill up at the same gas station most of the time. Could be getting bad gas. Might want to try filling up at a different gas station that is fairly busy often and give it a few tank gulls to see if anything change. Also I noticed you are in California. I know emmissions out there are crazy but if you are driving a non CA emmissions car on there gas(again I have no idea if they get a diffent formula for their gas) that could be a factor
Old 04-02-15, 05:53 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have F-sport + nvidia midpipe, no dusting at all.

Only on the exhaust tips
Old 04-02-15, 06:09 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by smokyis350
I have Nvidia mid + F-sport and I don't have that problem. Only the exhaust tips gets really dirty
Originally Posted by Gville350
Is it the IS250 that gets dirty or the IS350? If the IS250, I'd suggest it might be carbon build-up related.
Originally Posted by hirsch2is
Hmm are you a consistently spirited driver or just occasionally? Also do you fill up at the same gas station most of the time. Could be getting bad gas. Might want to try filling up at a different gas station that is fairly busy often and give it a few tank gulls to see if anything change. Also I noticed you are in California. I know emmissions out there are crazy but if you are driving a non CA emmissions car on there gas(again I have no idea if they get a diffent formula for their gas) that could be a factor
Lots of time being stuck in traffic and I only run very hard on autocross/track couple times a year. I buy gas from all over as long as they have 91. This problems has been on-going for 3 years since I put FSport exhaust on. Again, I run the IS350 similarly too and buy gas the similar places, yes no dusting issue.

My IS250 is 2012 which is relatively new and it still has all cats on, no emmision issue at all.

This is really strange.
Old 04-02-15, 06:10 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by smokyis350
I have F-sport + nvidia midpipe, no dusting at all.

Only on the exhaust tips
Try lightly touch your rear bumper or trunk to see if you have a fine layer of black dust and compare that with the hood. If there is no difference, I guess I'm the unlucky one

Quick Reply: Black Soots From Exhaust all over rear bumper and trunk