Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

want to turbo my VVTi GS300 - yes, I've searched

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-15, 07:33 AM
mulasien
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default want to turbo my VVTi GS300 - yes, I've searched

Greetings all.

Right now, this idea is purely in the pipe-dream stages of planning, so it's not like I'm pulling the trigger on this soon.

I have searched and read at length about the issues of adding a turbo to a 2jzge with VVTi, as it has thinner than usual connecting rods, so I am aware of that issue. I have read numerous threads of people yelling at each other on both sides of the issue. I'm aware of the arguments.

So here is my deal:

I don't want to swap it with a GTE.
I don't want to go through the process/expense of replacing the connecting rods.
My HP goals are modest, 350-400rwhp would be great.
I just want to add a well sourced turbo kit (and whatever else is necessary) to the existing engine setup as is.

Yes, I know that if I wanted to make a 600rwhp and up monster, then either an engine swap or replacing the connecting rods would be required. But I'm not doing that.

I've read threads on clubna-t stating that for that hp goal, then the stock VVTi connect rods are more than strong enough, however that place is a ghost town that doesn't let new members post, so I can't get clarification on there.

Long story short, if I'm not going for ridiculous HP numbers, would I be fine adding a quality turbo setup to my stock GE, thinner connecting rods and all, for a somewhat faster daily driver. Doing the swap or replacing rods "just to be on the safe side" is still more than I'm willing to do and I'll just forget about it in that case. Has anyone here done the same thing and how has it gone?

Last edited by mulasien; 04-02-15 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-02-15, 11:36 AM
GS3KID
Driver

a well known member on here has his own company catered to our cars as kits are not readily available specifically to GS

http://powerdynamix.com/upgrades

this link has a break down of what is neccessary in a "kit" to hit your goals
Old 04-02-15, 12:00 PM
mulasien
Rookie

Originally Posted by GS3KID
a well known member on here has his own company catered to our cars as kits are not readily available specifically to GS

http://powerdynamix.com/upgrades

this link has a break down of what is neccessary in a "kit" to hit your goals
Thanks for that link. It looks like they have options for stock connecting rods in the lower packages along with stronger builds with new rods. I'll reach out to them for more info. I just keep seeing so much "don't bother with the stock block" posts always assuming that everyone wants a 600hp+ monster.
Old 04-02-15, 12:41 PM
GS3KID
Driver

Originally Posted by mulasien
Thanks for that link. It looks like they have options for stock connecting rods in the lower packages along with stronger builds with new rods. I'll reach out to them for more info. I just keep seeing so much "don't bother with the stock block" posts always assuming that everyone wants a 600hp+ monster.
yeah I'm in the same boat with you but you also have to think the more milage on your motor now It'll get weaker and weaker so you'll have to swap to a GE motor with lower miles or rebuild. and if your going to rebuild why not use really strong rods.

currently I'm saving either to rebuild or swap a new GE becuase i want my car to be legal and i doubt a GTE will pass inspection in my state.
Old 04-02-15, 12:42 PM
mulasien
Rookie

My car only has 63000 miles on it. It's a young'un . Otherwise, yes, if I was at the point of actually rebuilding it that would make sense. No point opening up a basically new engine, though.

Last edited by mulasien; 04-02-15 at 12:47 PM.