Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

F Sport Intake or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-18, 06:40 AM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Do you guys know whether the F-Sport lid would be compatible with the stock air filter element, or only compatible with the blue re-usable performance filter?

Looks like you can't really buy these off ebay or Amazon, so I have to get them through my dealership (in Canada). Thx in advance!
Old 09-18-18, 09:11 PM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

I joined the money-wasters club ($230 CAD!) and also ordered the lid just for that cooler OEM look when I open the hood. It does look nicer in the engine bay though.

I'm not convinced the performance air filter will lead to any noticeable gains despite the principle behind the higher flow, so I'm sticking with replacing my air cleaner w an OEM unit annually so there's never too much restriction caused by excessive dirt (and able to immediately install a new one vs having to clean and then let dry).
Old 09-18-18, 11:45 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I think it's correct to be skeptical of drop in filters. But there doesn't seem to be any reason to doubt that the F Sport filter, particularly combined with a charcoal filter delete (Do the 350s come with the charcoal filters? I don't see why they wouldn't) would definitely improve airflow. Now the question is is this increase in airflow called for by the engine @ WOT throughout the powerband. My guess is you'd see a benefit at the very top end but negligible at best. You definitely wouldn't feel it on a butt dyno. It's really a cool factor mod.

For me cleaning it is easy. i just buy the K&N cleaner, spritz it on, rinse it, and let it dry. The day it's drying in the sun is the day I use my stock filter i saved
Old 09-19-18, 11:18 AM
osiriskidd
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

or you can buy the f sports filter, lid, and cut a hole at the bottom of the stock airbox to cut costs
Old 09-19-18, 01:19 PM
JeffreyVay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticker?

I'm thinking of keeping the oem box and add an fsport or k&m filter... Had anybody ever seen a blue sticker or vinyl cutout to throw on a stock box
Old 11-07-18, 11:43 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Sybaritic
I joined the money-wasters club ($230 CAD!) and also ordered the lid just for that cooler OEM look when I open the hood. It does look nicer in the engine bay though.

I'm not convinced the performance air filter will lead to any noticeable gains despite the principle behind the higher flow, so I'm sticking with replacing my air cleaner w an OEM unit annually so there's never too much restriction caused by excessive dirt (and able to immediately install a new one vs having to clean and then let dry).

Would love to see a photo comparison of the inside of both boxes ..
Old 11-08-18, 12:04 AM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TOPENDMS
Would love to see a photo comparison of the inside of both boxes ..
looks exactly the same inside as the stock one
Old 11-09-18, 01:45 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sybaritic
looks exactly the same inside as the stock one
It's not exactly the same, the outside shape is clearly different. From what I can see, it may be designed to pull in colder air thats closer to the front grill cold air intake duct.

Which brings me to my next point .. I hope no one is replacing the factory intake (cold air) with a 'short ram' intake (hot air).
Old 11-09-18, 01:49 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by E46CT
I think it's correct to be skeptical of drop in filters. But there doesn't seem to be any reason to doubt that the F Sport filter, particularly combined with a charcoal filter delete (Do the 350s come with the charcoal filters? I don't see why they wouldn't) would definitely improve airflow. Now the question is is this increase in airflow called for by the engine @ WOT throughout the powerband. My guess is you'd see a benefit at the very top end but negligible at best. You definitely wouldn't feel it on a butt dyno. It's really a cool factor mod.

For me cleaning it is easy. i just buy the K&N cleaner, spritz it on, rinse it, and let it dry. The day it's drying in the sun is the day I use my stock filter i saved
A good aftermarket drop-in filter should be less restrictive, while at the same time providing even better filtration. That's a win-win over the OEM filter. F Sport and TOMs Racing should be able to accomplish that.