Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Paddle Shift / Eshift GS430 A650E transmission HOW!? Transmission control unit

Old 10-21-14, 02:08 PM
Lexobenz
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paddle Shift / Eshift GS430 A650E transmission HOW!? Transmission control unit

What's up all, I've spent countless hours trying to figure out how to use my JDM Aristo blackwood wheel w/ a GS430.. lol.. major dilemma right..

From what I gather I need a transmission control unit, like:
http://www.powertraincontrolsolution...oduct/TCM2000/

or the Supra Stick (?)

I've contacted PCS, they advised their unit would technically work however:

"For awhile now we have been trying to find a source for the connectors on that transmission but have not yet located one. Usually for transmissions we can't get connectors for we have the customers send in a junk yard harness and build our harness using the existing connectors. As for a shop to go to we have multiple dealers in Florida but most of them only deal with our D200 so they are not going to know how to tune the transmission controller. Any competent shop that installs vehicle electronics should be able to install the controller with no problems. Tuning it would either require someone who is already familiar with it or someone willing to take the time to learn how it works."

I'm in FL, can anyone advise if they know a shop that could create the magical things needed to get that TCU and a GS430's tranny speaking sweet nothings to one another to allow my stupid steering wheel to do something, other than look pretty??

OR advise if there's another unit, method, etc to accomplish what I'm after?

Hopefully this helps connect some dots for others too. Thanks in advance!!
Old 10-21-14, 04:01 PM
Lexobenz
Pit Crew

OK, OK! Now I'm excited, I just heard from the maker of the SUPRASTICK transmission controller, his product works for the 4 speed transmissions, but is not currently designed to work w/ the GS430's 5 speed...
HOWEVER, he advised that he'd definitely be open to exploring getting us (GS430, SC430, etc) owners a solution to this!! He said his largest hurdle was "testing"... and that he just hasn't had access to a car w/that tranny in it...

You know where this is going.. If anyone in the SAN DIEGO, CA. area has a:

1998-2005 Lexus GS 300 (2nd Generation)
1998-2000 Lexus GS 400
1998-2000 Lexus LS 400
2001-2005 Lexus GS 430
2001-2005 Lexus IS 300 (1st Generation)
1998-2005 Lexus RS 200 (jdm Altezza)
2001-2003 Lexus LS 430
1998-2000 Lexus SC400
2001-2005 Lexus SC 430

Please drop me a PM... and let's see what we can do to get us a paddle shift / auto - manual tranny control thing going!!
Old 10-21-14, 04:30 PM
Lexobenz
Pit Crew

Lightbulb WOO HOO! Paddle Shift / E-Shift on GS430!! ......................... Almost ;)

**Link from merged thread was here**

Who wants to button control their shifts!? ..Like an Aristo, GS400, etc, etc!?

I'm trying to have a manual transmission control unit developed for the A650e tranny, I've circled the globe so far, and no one makes something for us right now.. I did just speak to MR. SUPRASTICK (which makes this possible, but only on a 4speed tranny), he said he be very interested in trying to get us something.. IF he can get his hands on a car with that tranny for a bit for "TESTING" purposes.
So.... we need a car that can get to San Diego, CA.

Anyone with any interest please PM ME!

And if anyone knows of any existing kits to manually control the A650e, please stop me from reinventing the wheel, and advise me what & where. I'm ordering!

Thanks everyone!!

Last edited by Lexobenz; 10-23-14 at 05:41 AM.
Old 10-21-14, 07:39 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just thinking ... would it work with the 1st 4 gears of the '02-'05 SC430 and then turn off for normal drive using the OEM ECU? I only use 4 gears on the track ...
Old 10-21-14, 08:27 PM
Lexobenz
Pit Crew

^^ Idk bro, I'm non technical...but I do know that:

http://twistmachine.com/index.php?ma...&products_id=8

The people there are also getting back to me, as they make the kit for other Toyota transmissions, but not for the A650E, but the gal said she'd speak to the main guys who work there to see if there's anything they could do for me.

IMO, best bet is the maker of the SUPRASTICK.. he sounds very down to make this happen, he just needs access to someone's Car for a bit, so I hope this thread finds the right person (NEAR SAN DIEGO, CA.) ...
Old 10-21-14, 10:51 PM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Seems like a lot of money to be spent just to get two buttons/flaps to work.
If money's not the problem then why not.
Old 10-22-14, 04:33 AM
Lexobenz
Pit Crew

^^ Personally, I find paddle shifting (it's been in my last few cars) a preference for "sporty" maneuvers.. and seeing as how the OG SUPRASTICK is only $4XX.XX I'm AOK with that expense; if you're referring to the $1k+ systems I linked (for reference).. I do think that's a bit much...but they don't currently have anything for us anyway.. But I'm hoping a Californian who's interested in this sees this thread... and hoping that leads to a breakthrough!
Old 10-22-14, 05:07 AM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexobenz
^^ Personally, I find paddle shifting (it's been in my last few cars) a preference for "sporty" maneuvers.. and seeing as how the OG SUPRASTICK is only $4XX.XX I'm AOK with that expense;
That's more reasonable price.

Originally Posted by Lexobenz
if you're referring to the $1k+ systems I linked (for reference).. I do think that's a bit much...
I did and I agree with you, therefore the earlier post.
Old 10-22-14, 12:49 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Might wanna check this out for some ideas.

Post #198

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...-2-0-a-14.html
Old 10-22-14, 02:17 PM
Lexobenz
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by clos430
Might wanna check this out for some ideas.

Post #198

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...-2-0-a-14.html
Thank you! .... however because I'm no mechanical or technical genius, I'm not certain if the problem is solved, is he saying all you need is an e-shift wheel (or paddle kit) and the correct clock spring??

"I also just finished installing IS350 paddle shifter to my steering wheel. My GS originally doesn't have e-shift but later found out ALL GS/Aristo ECUs support the e-shift option. But you'll need a few things. First you'll need the clock spring from a model with e-shift (got mine from empera). 2nd you need the paddle shifter from the IS350 and plugs (Thanks mikellucci for the hook up!). I was going to get them from the IS-F but I wasn't feeling the blue +/- . 3rd you will need to make your brackets to make them mount the the steering wheel.

Read more: I also just finished installing IS350 paddle shifter to my steering wheel. My GS originally doesn't have e-shift but later found out ALL GS/Aristo ECUs support the e-shift option. But you'll need a few things. First you'll need the clock spring from a model with e-shift (got mine from empera). 2nd you need the paddle shifter from the IS350 and plugs (Thanks mikellucci for the hook up!). I was going to get them from the IS-F but I wasn't feeling the blue +/- . 3rd you will need to make your brackets to make them mount the the steering wheel.

Read more: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...#ixzz3GuWIi4vO

And that's it!?? Is it really that simple? Just need someone to pinch me!? lol.. Please help me out
Old 10-22-14, 09:08 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Link doesn't work....

I think the DOWN switch is shorted to disable E-Shift (obviously it doesn't have the buttons on the wheel, but jumpered or a pull down resistor in the Trans ECU), if the switch is open the trans controller allows E-Shift. I need to see the wiring, but I am pretty sure that is what is going on.
Old 10-23-14, 05:55 AM
Lexobenz
Pit Crew

Hey RamAir, thanks for your response, although I get what you said, I have no idea how to make that happen, lol, I do have friends who work at dealershships though, is there some file / doc I can get you that might help? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-29-14, 11:47 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww where was this thread when i still had my car o.O
Old 12-14-14, 07:04 PM
929rider
Driver

I am very interested to get one if they make it work for the gs.
Old 12-15-14, 01:29 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 929rider
I am very interested to get one if they make it work for the gs.
you didnt read the thread. people have made it work

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paddle Shift / Eshift GS430 A650E transmission HOW!? Transmission control unit