Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Front License Plate Bracket

Old 10-18-13, 08:46 AM
jokim
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front License Plate Bracket

So in NJ we are required to have a front license plate. I dont like how the plate is in the middle of the grill on the f sport so anyone have other options on where the plates go? I saw a IS on the street the other day with it on the side, where can I get brackets like that?
Old 10-18-13, 08:49 AM
jokim
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, ment to have this on the main 3IS forums, mods can you please move ?
Old 10-18-13, 10:41 AM
sarcoptic
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Grimmspeed makes the bracket you need...you need the 250/350 kit not the IS-F kit.
Old 10-18-13, 05:02 PM
Oxytocin
Driver

I didn't want to drill the bumper, but I don't like to have the license plate off set, so I mounted it slightly under the bumper through the grille patterns. I think it looks better in this position because it's not in the direct center of the grille, which allows the grille to still be the focal point.
Old 10-18-13, 08:21 PM
xbigboix83
Rookie

Originally Posted by Oxytocin
I didn't want to drill the bumper, but I don't like to have the license plate off set, so I mounted it slightly under the bumper through the grille patterns. I think it looks better in this position because it's not in the direct center of the grille, which allows the grille to still be the focal point.
Can you take a pic and show me where u mounted it. Thanks
Old 10-19-13, 02:37 PM
Oxytocin
Driver

The first picture the frame looks slated but its just how I took the image. Sorry I parked facing away from the sun, didn't want to repark.

Old 10-19-13, 04:51 PM
xbigboix83
Rookie

Originally Posted by Oxytocin
The first picture the frame looks slated but its just how I took the image. Sorry I parked facing away from the sun, didn't want to repark.
Did you zip tie it ?
Old 10-19-13, 09:13 PM
Oxytocin
Driver

That was going to be my quick fix, but my boyfriend scolded me for 10 minutes saying how ugly it'd be, then decided upon himself to solve the problem. Eh, free labor.

He used these:

Sorry, don't know what that's called so I had to link the image. I would use the phrase I put into google but I don't think that's what it's called either. He removed the grille top cover and used those to anchor the plate bracket to the grille slots.
Old 10-20-13, 10:23 AM
alexlude
Lead Lap

Exactly what you referred them as

Butterfly anchor bolts.
Old 10-20-13, 01:39 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I like the hide-a-plate setup. It folds out from under the car and you can even get an automatic one so it goes up when you start the car and goes back down when it's off
Old 10-20-13, 04:38 PM
Oxytocin
Driver

Originally Posted by alexlude
Exactly what you referred them as

Butterfly anchor bolts.
Really? I typed "spring loaded nut" into google search, and had to scroll through several pages to find the correct image.

Originally Posted by LexusNN
I like the hide-a-plate setup. It folds out from under the car and you can even get an automatic one so it goes up when you start the car and goes back down when it's off
That's mostly an okay idea, I was going to go that route. But after research and careful consideration, it's not a good option. You will need to drill mount it under the bumper, which defeats the drilling part and also decreases your clearance. It's better on BMW's cause you can put it into the bumper space. The motorized one is not good cause it pops up really fast and hard, which may scratch your bumper. I've seen videos where the bumper has two indentations from the screws on the plate bracket. You can add some weather stripping to the back, but at the point there's too many con's to make it a good solution, for me anyway.

Plus, the only time you can have it hidden is when you're at home or an auto show/meet up, cause having it down when you're driving still puts you at risk of being pulled over. So it will be up more times than it will be down. Gimmick and waste of money. Go to Lowes, buy the 'butterfly anchor bolts' and screw it into the grille, it wont take long to take it off if you need to.
Old 10-22-13, 11:33 AM
jokim
Driver School Candidate

That is a good idea, I might do that too.

Might go with the tow hook mounts but not sure if they get loose
Old 10-22-13, 02:44 PM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

License Plate Bracket is now a part of performance
Old 10-24-13, 10:34 AM
bucanero
Pole Position

Purchased the "Rear Sunshade" button to put next to the BSM which will be hooked up with a motorized front plate rack that will hide/display when engaged. Took 1 month to arrive from Japan! (The Rear Sunshade Button) The plate was purchased with hidetheplate.com, they have the manual one, but I want it tricked out a bit more so got the motorized, now just need to wire it to the button and hope for the best! I would post pictures, but don't know how to upload them.

As far as putting zip ties or butterfly bolts on the grill, I call that nonsense. Lexus designed that to be a focal point on the vehicle so I'm going to do my best to preserve that even though Texas law is pretty harsh at time for those minor details. I hope I can get away with it sometimes with this mod though. Wish me luck!
Old 07-07-14, 10:04 AM
shadow1
Driver School Candidate

Any cooling issues with the butterfly bolt method? The plate mounts over the radiator inlet that way.