Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Holy Grail!!! IS350 OS Giken LSD inspection, clean-up, and install! PIC HEAVY

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-14, 06:16 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts
Default Holy Grail!!! IS350 OS Giken LSD inspection, clean-up, and install! PIC HEAVY

Yes, I've pushed my new wheels to the side to dedicate my attentions to this recent acquisition...a MINT used JDM OS Giken in a IS350 carrier.

You have to call it used because of the 30 minutes put on it, but really...it's not even "broken-in" yet! Thought I'd never own one to be honest because the retail price on one is crazy high; BUT, if you find the right person at the right time...anything is possible! After the $200 shipping price tag and weeks later, I received this gem! Near 70lbs!

Oh yes, straight-up JDM writing on it. Oh, did I mention that OS Giken themselves installed this LSD into the carrier? Just about the best situation one could ask for really.

Though I was fully confident I could have installed this thing straightway in my IS350, I decided to confirm the story I was told by removing the diff cover and check everything out for myself. Here's the first pic of the minty goodness :

Notice how brand new that fluid looks, plus internally it is spotless.

Next few pics just confirm the LSD is in fact what it is AND that some seriously skilled techs installed it judging by the paint marking on the ring gear.

I had to give the diff cover some love; so I cleaned it up a bit :

I took my Dremel and removed the casting flaws/pits/minor cracks/etc to eliminate added stress to these points :

Gave the thing a bath and removed the aluminum shavings :

Then covered the under-portion of the cover to prep it for paint :

Painted three layers of high temp metallic silver on the cover. PERFECT, though no one will ever see it! LOL

Though I was off work all last week, I had family in town and didn't have the time to install this thing. But that is the plan and see whether I like it for DD'ing. Some people say that they can be annoying on slow-speed corners and parking lots, but I'll be the deciding factor on that!

Now for the important factor I have yet to narrow down, whether it is a 1.5 way or 2.0 way LSD. Back when this LSD was purchased, the previous owner purchased the "default" LSD for their IS350. I've read online AND spoken with OSG USA that the default LSD is automatically the 1.5 way, but I have yet for OSG Japan or myself confirm that. The LSD housing itself hides the shape of the "cam", so it's difficult for me to see it.

So I took the gamble; but either way, these LSDs are VERY tunable and you can remove active plates (basically deactivating plates) internally and/or change out the cone-shaped shim for pre-load and/or change out the pressure ring springs to lessen the locking engagement. All of this easily explained and detailed in this wonderful write-up for an OS Giken install into an NSX :

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ferential.aspx

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to installing this thing and giving it a proper break-in!

Feel free to comment, asking questions, etc! I'm happy to be one of only, what...two IS350 members on CL to have mentioned having the pleasure of owning one of these toys!

Last edited by Gville350; 06-26-14 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Removed data
The following users liked this post:
Moisture (01-02-20)
Old 06-24-14, 06:36 PM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats
My ATS hasn't quite been broken in yet, but I KNOW it is going to be fun!
Old 06-24-14, 06:46 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Read about them; they seem to have more tuned LSD options right out of the box than OS Giken, plus an optional 1.8 way LSD.

Do you have an IS250 or 350?
Old 06-24-14, 07:14 PM
scott1256c
Pole Position

is350.
Yeah, they have a few LSDs. I got the Carbon. So at least for that you have the choice of 1, 1.5, 2 way that I know of. Never heard about 1.8 way. Also you can choose from 3 initial torques, which is the break away torque.
FYI, they used to be marketed in the U.S. by Carbonetic, but made by ATS. Carbonetic are defunct, I guess.
Old 06-25-14, 06:31 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

So are you installing yourself?
If so have you checked the procedure?
Old 06-25-14, 06:56 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Congrats on finally getting yourself an OS Giken LSD! Is this the used OS Giken that we were looking at on eBay that was originally on a Formula D drift car? If so, it might be the 2-way version and is tuned very aggresively but hopefully not.

Here's a diagram of the differences between the lock-up rates from various types of LSDs, including both the original OS Giken LSD and their latest model, the TCD:

You'll need a very good set of summer tires to take advantage of your LSD because you'll soon find out that your tires will end up become the limiting factor as the differential has no problems coordinating optimal torque for each wheel.

FYI as a reference for others, here's my original thread regarding the OS Giken TCD version with lots of additional details:

My Lexus IS350 w/ OS GIKEN TCD Super Lock LSD

Last edited by redspencer; 08-21-14 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-25-14, 07:04 AM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Good stuff!!!!!!

You guys should go for the 6MT IS350 some day….
Old 06-25-14, 07:22 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Congrats! Look forward to your experience with it. I still want to find one for my car this year!
Old 06-25-14, 07:43 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by Nigel-JDMParts
Good stuff!!!!!!

You guys should go for the 6MT IS350 some day….
Don't we need the SARD Japan ECU tune for that mod (and $15k for the 6MT)?

Unfortunately, it sounds like that will not be a possibility here in the United States based on our previous discussions on SARD tuning USDM IS350s.
Old 06-25-14, 08:22 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

I hate you! Lol! Congrats!!! Can't believe you found this, I've been looking on the used market for years!

We need to get a blower on your car stat Looking forward to your experiences.
Old 06-25-14, 09:37 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Omg........you definitely need to post results afterwards. I too may get one....
Old 06-25-14, 09:38 AM
azfsprt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so just to clarify when getting a new diff like this, you have to turn off traction control all the time?
Old 06-25-14, 10:03 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by azfsprt
so just to clarify when getting a new diff like this, you have to turn off traction control all the time?
No, you can drive with VSC On or Off. The LSD will still keep the wheels more aligned as far as wheel speed/spin is concerned. You will get the most out of the LSD with VSC off though.

The IS350 VDIM system will not recognize that you have a LSD installed so depending on the degree of your steering input, the system will still attempt to cut back power and steering angle as it assumes you will be having wheelspin soon.

I noticed that when I installed the '11 IS-F Steering ECU, the parameters of the VDIM settings had changed to allow more aggressive cornering before the system feels it needs to interfere. Based on my observations, when I leave VSC on, the eLSD brake function is active and works pretty well with the LSD but since the braking of the inner rear tire leads to additional tire wear, I prefer to drive with VSC off to allow the TCD to operate unhindered as it also deactivates the eLSD function.
The following users liked this post:
Moisture (01-02-20)
Old 06-25-14, 10:14 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

This is all I could think of when I saw this thread:
Originally Posted by mikellucci
I hate you!
Then I thought I shouldn't be a hater, so I thought this:
Originally Posted by mikellucci
Lol! Congrats!!! Can't believe you found this ...snip... Looking forward to your experiences.
Seriously, congrats! Where did you get it and how much (so the rest of us can keep dreaming)?
Old 06-25-14, 10:59 AM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
Oh yes, straight-up JDM writing on it. Oh, did I mention that OS Giken themselves installed this LSD into the carrier? Just about the best situation one could ask for really.
+10HP!!!

Truely an awsome situation. This is in the cards way down the road for me but Im glad to see another member with one.

Originally Posted by redspencer
Don't we need the SARD Japan ECU tune for that mod (and $15k for the 6MT)?
Yeeeaaahhh I dont think thats happening. Unless they get inspiration for the 3IS, but I doubt that...

Quick Reply: Holy Grail!!! IS350 OS Giken LSD inspection, clean-up, and install! PIC HEAVY