Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Holy Grail!!! IS350 OS Giken LSD inspection, clean-up, and install! PIC HEAVY

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-14, 06:32 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

When you finally get to open up your "Formula D" LSD, check to see how many clutch disks are included inside. If the differential housing is the same size as the one I have (I believe it is), you should be able to fit the maximum of 28 clutch disks. Typically more plates means more assured lock, better durability, and wider range of performance settings.
Old 07-02-14, 07:23 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Redspencer: do you have any notes from your 1.5 way OS unit? I'm trying to confirm the angle and lock timing OS uses out of the box for the ISF/is350 1.5way.

The numbers on the 2-way we have are 55/55-224-8-16S

The 2-way OS unit is an extreme drift spec or standard "Super Lock" unit with a 55/55 angle. The lock timing is 224 which is said to be set for an aggressive and snappy response.

OS comments were that the unit will basically be a spool that briefly unlocks when the gas is neutral, only very briefly though.

In speaking with the original owner/user he was kind enough to provide his impressions of the unit on both street and track. While usage was limited he indicated that he would try the 2way on daily driving before modifying it to a 1.5way. It seems most of the concern is around aggressive decel into a tight curve. Talking with Dan we made the point "most of our harsh braking and decel is done in a straight line." The lockup wouldn't really be a factor in this scenario. However, with the use of my s/c I do often come in hot to a curve with rapid decel needed. I would need to be more cautious and become familiar with the 2way or risk demise of my car into a wall. Lol
Old 07-02-14, 09:53 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by mikellucci
Redspencer: do you have any notes from your 1.5 way OS unit? I'm trying to confirm the angle and lock timing OS uses out of the box for the ISF/is350 1.5way.

The numbers on the 2-way we have are 55/55-224-8-16S

The 2-way OS unit is an extreme drift spec or standard "Super Lock" unit with a 55/55 angle. The lock timing is 224 which is said to be set for an aggressive and snappy response.

OS comments were that the unit will basically be a spool that briefly unlocks when the gas is neutral, only very briefly though.

In speaking with the original owner/user he was kind enough to provide his impressions of the unit on both street and track. While usage was limited he indicated that he would try the 2way on daily driving before modifying it to a 1.5way. It seems most of the concern is around aggressive decel into a tight curve. Talking with Dan we made the point "most of our harsh braking and decel is done in a straight line." The lockup wouldn't really be a factor in this scenario. However, with the use of my s/c I do often come in hot to a curve with rapid decel needed. I would need to be more cautious and become familiar with the 2way or risk demise of my car into a wall. Lol
Unfortunately, I don't have the specs that came with my TCD model as there were no markings on my differential. I was told by OS Giken that the lock up rate of my TCD is tuned to be much less aggressive than the one you have as yours was built specifically for competition drifting and it uses the standard super lock discs (hence the aggressive and snappy response that you mentioned). That's also why I recommend you add more plates if your spec-x unit comes with less than 28. This should help reduce the aggressiveness of your LSD with a more progressive lock-up rate (in addition to the other tweaks you'll be doing).

Yeah, Dan is correct that most of your braking will be done in a straight line prior to entering a corner. From my experience, one significant thing I've noticed with having this 1.5 way OS Giken TCD is that you have to relearn your ideal racing line when entering and exiting a corner. Compared to when I was on an open differential, I'm now able to brake late before turning into a corner and while turning, I can apply the throttle well ahead of reaching the apex point. This allow the rear outer wheel to guide me to my desired apex point and it reduces my turning radius (ala Torque Vectoring). I'm not yet certain if this is the ideal racing line for my current set-up and I still have a lot more to learn but so far it's been an interesting and eye-opening experience!

I'm not sure if the above technique would work in your case so be careful when it's time for you to finally take your maiden test drive!

Last edited by redspencer; 07-02-14 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-02-14, 12:57 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Yeah, see if by chance you can cram more plates in there. Like what was mentioned, more the merrier!

I also agree with running it as-is before spending monies on parts to tune it that you might not want.

I love these two pics, as it gives examples of two different center split sections (two different ramp angles), it shows the tapered cone shim at the very top pic, AND shows how you can "tune" the progessiveness of the lock by arranging the plates differently :

Old 07-03-14, 01:15 PM
1999bluer6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice purchase!
Old 07-03-14, 05:24 PM
Gville350

So I did some research about the original owner today while things were slow going into the holiday weekend. Check this out :

http://www.wreckedmagazine.com/blog/tag/drifting-lexus/

http://www.monsterarmy.com/members/c...8d6cf97d8.aspx

http://www.everythingdrift.com/blog/?p=272

http://www.sfldrifters.com/forums/th...o-lexus.31814/

http://talkdrift.com/archive/index.php/t-914.html
Old 07-07-14, 01:02 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

OS is making it increasingly difficult to mod this outside of their dealers. I'm a bit annoyed as there's no point in buying such a scalable unit if you can't adjust it yourself....

"As of 2013, we have stopped the sales of LSD parts to the general public as stated in the previous email.
Even if the dealer were to take your order, we would not release the products if they inquire to order from us."
Old 07-07-14, 06:56 PM
Gville350

^Well that's disappointing to hear. Perhaps a good customer of OSG like Tuner Motorsports would have some advice on obtaining additional components for their LSDs?
Old 07-12-14, 12:57 PM
rawr2is250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the find, definitely looking forward to the results.
Old 07-17-14, 06:16 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok Mike, any update on the status? Are you going to try it out first before trying to change it? If so, when will it be in the car?
Old 07-26-14, 08:20 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

I honestly don't know if my car will see the streets before 2015. I still have to put the stock wiring back in along with the engine/tranny and all related items. I don't see a break in my schedule for at least a few months :/
Old 07-26-14, 09:23 PM
Gville350

More miles for the Honda Pilot huh?
Old 07-26-14, 11:49 PM
badx33
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I hope he doesn't use that Anceltion lip when drifting. I'd hate to see a rare lip like that get destroyed..
Old 07-27-14, 05:49 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gville350
More miles for the Honda Pilot huh?
Might as well put it in Longterm parking at the airport

I gotta pull the LSD from the housing and I promise ill open it up and take pics before I send it off for reconfiguration. I'm going to request the 2way hardware be returned to me in case I ever want to convert back. If I keep the is350 it may very well become a dedicated track/road course car in the future....that would be ideal since I don't have the heart to part with it
Old 07-27-14, 06:38 PM
Gville350

^Good plan; just keep us updated on the progress!

Quick Reply: Holy Grail!!! IS350 OS Giken LSD inspection, clean-up, and install! PIC HEAVY