Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Thinking about going turboed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-13, 07:37 PM
BoostdIS30
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turboed vs LSx swap

Hey guys I'm new on here and I have a 2005 is300-auto and I've been looking at going boosted or maybe a LSx swap. i know there are plenty of ways to so it but its going to be a daily so don't need too much maybe 400-500hp not sure. Wanted to know what people think about best daily driving setup and what would be a good setup to go with. I'm getting ready to order coil overs and new rims and powder coat them black. Let me know what y'all think. Id appreciate any help I can get. Thanks will post pics gotta clean her up first.

I know the LSx swaps take some work but the more I look at them the more I like it and want to do it. If anyone has any info on the LSx swap or could help me out in any way I'd appreciate it. Maybe after the LSx swap I might end up still going turboed and get a new daily driver.

Last edited by BoostdIS30; 06-13-13 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-17-13, 11:12 PM
BoostdIS30
Driver

Anyone's input would be great I know I'm a newbie on here but if anyone could help me out that'd be great.
Old 06-26-13, 02:22 PM
Bezik777
Driver

Some quick advice , do alot of research and reading on Boosting 2jz and LS swap ...cost $4000-$10,000
First research
2 make decision on which route your going
3 check the health of your engine if staying with 2jz
4 get all maintenance up to date
5 upgrade things like suspension , trans etc
6 put together a plan for parts and power goals
7 buy stuff ( dont cheap out )
8 keep educating your self
9 install
10 Tune (most important part of boost)
11 Enjoy

some links to get your started
http://my.is/forums/f114/how-make-yo...owered-442176/
http://my.is/forums/f114/new-forced-...inside-346858/
http://my.is/forums/f114/engine-mana...mation-346856/
http://my.is/forums/f221/diy-auto-tr...e-rods-441283/
Old 06-30-13, 05:44 AM
Willmkent
Driver School Candidate

There is also the 1uz swap if you haven't looked into that yet
Old 06-30-13, 10:06 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The only two questions you need to answer are

1) how much power do you want to make

2) do you prefer turbo or naturally aspirated engines

Answer those two and I can give you some advice...
Old 07-01-13, 10:40 AM
BoostdIS30
Driver

Thanks for the advice guys and Mitsuguy I want to hopefully make at least 450-500 and definitly go boosted.
Old 07-01-13, 10:42 AM
BoostdIS30
Driver

I will do a lot of research here in the next few days while I'm off work and see what I can find but I think I might end up staying with the 2jz boosted build and maybe once I've got more $$$$ ill do a LSx build.
Old 07-01-13, 11:06 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

no reason for LS motor if you are going to turbo the 2J...

your power goals are relatively easy...

build the stock motor, install AEM EMS, big injectors, fuel pump, install turbo kit, tune, done...

factory trans will survive for a little while at the lower end of that power level... when it blows up, build it or swap a R154 or V161...
Old 07-01-13, 08:05 PM
BoostdIS30
Driver

What size injectors would you suggest and what would be the best kind of fuel pump be? What size turbo would you suggest and should I go with a full turbo kit or piece it together? What kind of engine building would you do? Cam or cam gears?
Old 07-01-13, 08:16 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by BoostdIS30
What size injectors would you suggest and what would be the best kind of fuel pump be? What size turbo would you suggest and should I go with a full turbo kit or piece it together? What kind of engine building would you do? Cam or cam gears?
If you plan on making the power on pump gas, 650's or similar, if you want to run E85, 1000's... Either way, Aeromotive A340, Walbro 400 or Deatschwerks 300 - any of the three will get you there with room to spare...

Turbo size - no question about it, Precision 6262 - its a great turbo, spools well, will make 700+ if you ever want it to and won't be stressed at 500...

Piecing it together is a great way to watch for deals, just watch for parts that aren't compatible with one another... I pieced mine together and she runs great, but it was kind of a slow road getting there...

What I did - I wanted to stay relatively high compression ratio, so I swapped in some pistons and rods out of a mid 90's SC300 motor... this should keep me between 10 and 10.5:1 for great off boost response and more power per lb of boost as well - the downside is that tuning is a little more finicky and a little less forgiving, unless you run E85... I have three E85 stations in town, so, no problem for me... To do this, a standalone, such as AEM EMS or ProEFI will be absolutely required, honestly, to boost one of these cars, it is pretty much required anyways... There are obviously better options to build the motor, it is just absolutely required at 500 whp to get rid of the junk that they put in these motors from the factory - anything is an upgrade, essentially...

Cams are always a great idea, though you can make good power without them... Cam gears dont work on the intake side of VVTI motors, and their usefulness is probably not worth the cost for just the exhaust side...
Old 07-01-13, 09:59 PM
BoostdIS30
Driver

So with all the mods put on there and what brand pistons did you go with? Is the stock block going to be able I handle the power of the precision 6262 and should I bore or sleeve the block? I just want to make sure when I do this I do it right the first time I've seen to many people put cheap parts together and then BOOM. They have to start all over. I appreciate the help.
Old 07-01-13, 10:03 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

So with all the mods put on there and what brand pistons did you go with? Is the stock block going to be able I handle the power of the precision 6262 and should I bore or sleeve the block? I just want to make sure when I do this I do it right the first time I've seen to many people put cheap parts together and then BOOM. They have to start all over. I appreciate the help.
Haha, its not a Honda... there are no sleeves, boring is only needed if clearances are not correct...

literally, my pistons are out of a mid 90's SC300... the block, as is, has handled over 1500 hp, those pistons and rods have handled over 700 hp, and stock GTE pistons and rods (which are also a direct swap into our motors) have handled over 1000 hp...

For comparison, I have a Precision 6765...
Old 07-02-13, 02:53 AM
BoostdIS30
Driver

Ok just making sure my bad man I guess I've been working on Hondas and integras too long. Do you have any other tips or parts that you know of that I will need? What kind of Intercooler do you run?
Old 07-02-13, 06:41 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Ok just making sure my bad man I guess I've been working on Hondas and integras too long. Do you have any other tips or parts that you know of that I will need? What kind of Intercooler do you run?
So long as it is a bar and plate style intercooler, and as big as possible, should be good... I actually need to go to a larger core - when I first started my build, I didn't have quite the goals I do now...
Old 07-02-13, 08:18 PM
BoostdIS30
Driver

Well if I when I'm running a precision 6262 turbo what size Intercooler should I go with? What in your opinion is the best brand Intercooler? What kind of wastegate and bov setup would be best or work best? Should I build a custom exhaust manifold or is there enough of a verity on the market?

Quick Reply: Thinking about going turboed!!!