Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Computer Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-13, 09:26 PM
sux2b
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer Questions

I have been doing a bunch of research and i am trying to figure out a few things about the AEM EMS.

To give some background on the car it is an 01 IS 300 with a 2jzgte bottom end. Still running the stock head and injection from IS. It also has the GTE auto tranny as well.

I know Dezod Motorsports AEM EMS has everything you need but unfortunately im not a big baller. With that being said :
What is the part number for the aem ems i need to get?
I heard Mitchell Pederson makes a harness for it. (although i have not been able to contact him...sure he is busy)
Will it run stand alone or piggy back?
With the above harness and computer will it be able to control the VVTI?
With the above harness and computer will it be able to control the trans?
The car currently has a apex boost controller im sure the AEM will replace it. Correct. Also i was wondering if it could still be connected to be the digital all in one gauge(s) but not control anything?

Please let me know if you need any other information or if you can point me in the right direction for information. I am located in san diego and would love to see anyone else that has got this dialed in and can share the wiZdom of the trip into the IS boosted world.

Thanks again in advance for info, links, jokes and i'm sure chastising for not searching better
Old 09-01-13, 08:26 PM
sux2b
Driver School Candidate

Default hummm

wow nothing........am i trying to do something weird ?
Old 09-02-13, 06:03 PM
Turbocivic
Driver School Candidate

Mitsuguy has all the information that you need to make your own harness. You can run 2 different AEM boxes. IS ecu have to stay in the car, GTE transmission needs to be controlled by AEM. AEM can control boost solenoid. Oem ecu will control VVTI.

Its much harder to have AEM control VVTI and trans. You need someone who has a lot of experience with AEM.
Old 09-02-13, 06:15 PM
sux2b
Driver School Candidate

Thanks i have a private message out to him now.
Old 09-02-13, 09:47 PM
BoostdIS30
Driver

He doesn't get on all the time but he will get back to you as soon as he can and he knows his stuff. Good luck.
Old 09-10-13, 04:18 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry I missed this, was on vacation the last couple weeks!!!

Alright, so, couple things don't add up - what computer is currently in the car? Does it run and drive currently?

The reason I ask is the stock IS ECU will not control the GTE transmission (A340e, 4 speed auto), it will also not control the larger injectors that a factory GTE comes with (440-550cc, depending on origin, IS factory are less than 300CC, more like 265cc).

If you search on here, I think I titled the thread something along the lines of "AEM EMS IS300 plug and play what"

Essentially, you can use almost any AEM box, some are better than others however. If you have an a340e transmission, the supra TT box, 30-6100, is the way to go as it will control that transmission. If you have a factory IS Auto, A650e, 5 speed, the AEM box will NOT control that transmission, and you are better off going with the non turbo Supra AEM box, the 30-6101... These boxes are both much better than the Honda boxes that Dezod uses - they allow for high or low impedance injectors, for one, which is killer, they also allow for a much better idle air control (factory supra) if needed versus hacking a Honda idle air motor...

You don't have to use the AEM boost control, however, I've been playing with it recently and it is pretty badass once you get it tuned in the AEM... You could potentially keep your current boost controller if you want.

You can control VVTI from the AEM, on AEM's forums, there is a stock VVTI map you can use that I and a guy from the forums there were able to make/build... Good starting point at least, that being said, I am using the factory computer and it works just fine for me so far. One of these days, I'll get it wired in and set up properly...

If you maintain the factory computer, the wiring harness is a pain in the ***, but I did mine by myself, simply cutting and splicing wires and ran a harness for the EMS to under the drivers seat - there is a lot of room to work there with the seat out of the way, which is a total of 4 14mm bolts... In this configuration, you will have a hybrid setup, with the AEM controlling the engine completely by itself, but the factory ECU monitoring all the sensors as well... It is explained in depth in my other thread with wiring diagrams and more...
Old 10-04-13, 10:05 PM
sux2b
Driver School Candidate

i too have been away for a while. Thanks for the post.

Current computer is stock computer and it is currently running. with ignition retard piggy back.

Not sure on the injectors. I have a set of RC 500 or 550cc sitting here but not put in.

Who if i didn't want to do the harness is there a company /person that does them?

How much boost are you running currently?

Can you send me or post the link to that thread you mentioned.

When you say " they also allow for a much better idle air control (factory supra) if needed versus hacking a Honda idle air motor..." that i should switch out existing is for supra idle air controler?

Thanks again.
Old 10-05-13, 04:51 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by sux2b
i too have been away for a while. Thanks for the post.

Current computer is stock computer and it is currently running. with ignition retard piggy back.

Not sure on the injectors. I have a set of RC 500 or 550cc sitting here but not put in.

Who if i didn't want to do the harness is there a company /person that does them?

How much boost are you running currently?

Can you send me or post the link to that thread you mentioned.

When you say " they also allow for a much better idle air control (factory supra) if needed versus hacking a Honda idle air motor..." that i should switch out existing is for supra idle air controler?

Thanks again.
No idea on someone making a harness for you... Dezod does it but IMO, their implementation is a little hacked anyways and they only give you a Honda AEM box whereas the Supra boxes are far superior...

When I get home tonight or tomorrow, I can send you a link, but if you search aem is300 just on the internet in general, you will find my posts...

I am currently limited to 20 psi, as I get ignition breakup at 23 psi at higher rpm... Just ordered GM LQ9 coils and the boost will only stop when the trans dies... I have a PTE 6765, good for 40 psi plus if I need it... (I won't)

If you are still running the drivebywire throttle, you don't need the supra idle air, but if you ever delete the drive by wire, you'll want to go supra IAC...

So, pretty sure I understand now, you have an is300 with a gte block, an na-t turbo kit and that's it, no fuel, stock trans, etc?
Old 03-06-14, 11:48 PM
sux2b
Driver School Candidate

Default Ok so im back at it

So currently it has only the stock computer and a electronic boost controller. I guess the car has the stock 5 speed (A650e) as the stock computer will not run anything else. I have not put in the bigger injectors yet but have some 550cc sitting here.. You are correct that the car is the is300 with a gte block, an na-t turbo kit and that's it, and stock trans. It has dual fuel pumps but i believe it has the stock fuel rail. It is still using the drive by wire.

So if i understand you the way to go would be leave the stock ecu to run gauges and tranny. Get the AEM supra TT box 30-6100 (Because a buddy of mine has a spare TT Tranny sutting around) Find the harness to piggy back or build my own. I have the AVCR boost controller already should i keep that or switch over to the aem boost controller?

Am i missing anything? Will i need to replace the fuel rail? What is the stock one good for boost PSI wise? Does the aem have any kind of protection? IE can you wire in a wideband so it for some reason something goes wrong it will back off the boost to protect the motor? Does it read the knock sensor for protecting the motor? Sorry for all the questions. Hope all is well.

Last edited by sux2b; 03-06-14 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-07-14, 12:14 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

AEM v2 allows for full protections when set it up correctly. You will have to have a wideband for it... Factory fuel rail is good for at least 450-500 whp, I changed mine around that area but out of want not necessity. Dump the avcr and get a MAC boost solenoid wired to the aem, part number is 35aa-something.. Its the same as the aem boost solenoid and works the exact same... Then you can have boost by speed, boost by gear, boost by rpm, etc... Aem can be setup to retard timing and add fuel if knock is detected