Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

98 gs300 aristo swap!!!!

Old 04-16-12, 05:33 PM
GS300LUV
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 98 gs300 aristo swap!!!!

Well I finally put my A$$ in gear and started the swap. I got my engine about a month ago but I have not had time off work to even touch the car until this weekend. It took me about 4 hrs working alone to get everything removed, drained and disconnected before i could pull the NA engine. I was really happy that I didnt have to remove the hood to pull this engine as I had to in all the other swaps ive done. Finally at the end of the day a buddy showed up and helped me perform the actual engine pull. It came out smooth as ice. Heres a couple of pics I took.
Attached Thumbnails 98 gs300 aristo swap!!!!-before-pull.jpg   98 gs300 aristo swap!!!!-during-pull.jpg   98 gs300 aristo swap!!!!-engine-bay-1.jpg   98 gs300 aristo swap!!!!-engine-bay-2.jpg  
Old 04-16-12, 05:39 PM
GS300LUV
Pole Position

Default More pics

More pictures
Attached Thumbnails 98 gs300 aristo swap!!!!-2jz-ge.jpg   98 gs300 aristo swap!!!!-2jz-gte.jpg  
Old 04-16-12, 05:42 PM
GS300LUV
Pole Position

Default Question???

Please correct me if I am wrong but.....from what I read and understand, the orange and gray plugs from the Aristo harness have to be swapped out in place of the orange and black plug on the gs300 harness? Is that correct?
Attached Thumbnails 98 gs300 aristo swap!!!!-harness-plugs.jpg  
Old 04-16-12, 07:20 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Glad to see you get going on this..

Yes use the JDM termination caps on the USDM body harness. It connects the pins in a different order if you look at the bottom of them you can see the difference. This is what takes care of the shiftlock. The threads you've prob seen where people had shiftlock issues or had to repin those body connectors did not get those terminators with their engineset.
Old 04-16-12, 07:26 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

You going single, or gonna roll stock twins?

You just gotta bend that heater core nipple to clear the rear turbo housing if your staying twins.

Let me give you one piece of advice that is worth contemplating. I recommend to bend the nipple and install the heater hose and clamp on that nipple before you put the engine in. You can do it alot more carefully and cleanly before the motor goes in.

The engine will touch the nipple as is when you set the engine in. But to bend that soft nipple without kinking it, and then getting the hose it and then getting the clamp on good is a huge pain once the turbo is up on it.
Old 04-16-12, 09:35 PM
GS300LUV
Pole Position

OK I will contemplate that piece of advice for a few moments.........Yes i will follow your advice! LOL
So let me get this right, are you talking about the heater core coolant line coming off the engine, or the two on the fire wall? If you are talking about the fire wall, which nipple are you talking about? Left or right, looking at the firewall from the front of the car?
Old 04-16-12, 09:41 PM
GS300LUV
Pole Position

Oh sorry I didnt answer your question. Im going to stay stock twins. Im just looking to have the feel of my old Aristo from years ago.......I had a 1st gen when i was stationed in japan and really miss the gte feel! Plus...its not a common swap here in WA state. I like to be different than everyone else. Ive done the turbo datsun thing...the SR swap in my 240, and now I just wanna go BIG BOY!!
I will only be working on it when i have weekends off, so updates will be slow but they will happen if anyone wants to see! Please feel free to chime in with advice anytime! It will save me money and time.
Old 04-16-12, 09:46 PM
GS300LUV
Pole Position

Oh before I forget. I have read about most people having issues with fuel reading after the swap. I ordered a JDM Aristo fuel pump with hanger and sending unit. Do you think having the JDM unit might help with the issue? The only fix I read about was ordering the TRD gauge display.
Old 04-17-12, 10:28 AM
justablkv8
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

subscribed...good work man, cant wait to see it done!
Old 04-18-12, 09:48 PM
GSEL300
Driver School Candidate

Good stuff bro!
Old 04-19-12, 07:59 PM
GS300LUV
Pole Position

I was doing some thinking about the throttle cable change we all have to do with this swap and came up with an idea. Don't flame me for this because I am going to try it out!!!!! My engine came with almost the full length of throttle cable but of course it was snipped just before the fire wall. So what I was thinking of doing was buying a swedge or crimping kit and trying that out. I'm going to crimp my stock cable to the gte cable and test it out. I know they hold up well because I used them on aircraft lanyards that held up heavy doors. Its cheaper than buying the MK4 throttle cable. If it does not work well then Ill just pony up the cash for the MK4 cable. Opinions????
Old 04-20-12, 07:34 AM
justablkv8
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The mk4 throttle cable is like $90 man, dont start cutting corners now - before you know it you'll end up with a apc exhaust. lol
Old 04-20-12, 03:12 PM
GS300LUV
Pole Position

Yea I guess your right. I thought about it for a while and said to my self, If your going to do the swap...might as well do it right. So I guess Ill just order the cable. Question though, Is the MK4 cable the exact length? Or is it a bit too long? I red somewhere that the cable had to messed with after install. Cant find the post again.....FML
Old 04-20-12, 03:24 PM
GS300LUV
Pole Position

Default Ohhhh crap

Ohhh man....Let me tell you what I just did and how fu>>king awesome I am! LOL
Ok I pulled off all the coil packs and pulled out the spark plugs to do some cleaning and visual scoping of the tops of the pistons and the cylinder walls. But as I was removing the last spark plug I dropped something and it wedged between the spark plug and I couldnt get the socket over the plug with out getting it out. SOOOO, I took a piece of lock wire and put a hook in it and slid it under the object and tried to quickly hook it out. In the process of doing that I watched the object fly in the air in slow motion and land right in the #2 spark plug hole and into the engine. I instantly felt sick to my stomach. After cursing, throwing a few tools and telling my wife to get the F away from me I realized there might be a light at the end of the tunnel. I have a small vacuum with an adapter on it that fits perfectly over the spark plug hole and can create an air tight seal. BOOM vacuumed it out and even found the object in the bag!!!! Whew! So now I get to go buy a new ratchet and flashlight cuz thats what got chucked in my fit of anger. And I also get to go buy the wife some flowers.....FML
Sorry but I had to post all this babble because Im soooo happy that I dont have to pull the HEAD off!!!
Old 04-20-12, 11:41 PM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300LUV
Ohhh man....Let me tell you what I just did and how fu>>king awesome I am! LOL
Ok I pulled off all the coil packs and pulled out the spark plugs to do some cleaning and visual scoping of the tops of the pistons and the cylinder walls. But as I was removing the last spark plug I dropped something and it wedged between the spark plug and I couldnt get the socket over the plug with out getting it out. SOOOO, I took a piece of lock wire and put a hook in it and slid it under the object and tried to quickly hook it out. In the process of doing that I watched the object fly in the air in slow motion and land right in the #2 spark plug hole and into the engine. I instantly felt sick to my stomach. After cursing, throwing a few tools and telling my wife to get the F away from me I realized there might be a light at the end of the tunnel. I have a small vacuum with an adapter on it that fits perfectly over the spark plug hole and can create an air tight seal. BOOM vacuumed it out and even found the object in the bag!!!! Whew! So now I get to go buy a new ratchet and flashlight cuz thats what got chucked in my fit of anger. And I also get to go buy the wife some flowers.....FML
Sorry but I had to post all this babble because Im soooo happy that I dont have to pull the HEAD off!!!
You and your macgyver techniques lol,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 gs300 aristo swap!!!!