Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Project beater gs drift *****: 2jzgte, single, r154, shave,flush, you get the picture

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-12, 11:11 PM
TooGoode
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project beater gs drift *****: 2jzgte, single, r154, shave,flush, you get the picture

OK, so where to start..... Ive been lurking on here for a while, and just haven't posted to much. I told myself i would start a thread and start posting once i had something worth doing so. I've been in the supra/2j world for a while, having owned almost nothing but mkiii supras. I loved the na-t capabilities of the 2j, and figured i could mess around with my first 4 door drift car with a motor platform i loved. so I picked up my 99 gs300 about 7 months ago. I got a STEAL on it at 5k. It had some hail damage, faded paint, and 476k miles on it 100% stock. Knowing that i would sooner or later swap it, i figured it would be a good candidate to start off with.

After i picked it up, i dropped it off at maaco to get me hella show car paint job on it. Single stage, 4 lbs bondo, and $300 later, it didn't look too shabby. Replaced the rear inner tails right away with some jdm deep reds, and an el cheapo replacement front grill. Knowing i would later throw a real paintjob on it later on, i was done worrying about much else. I ordered a set of some xxr 521's for it, and some ksport slide control pro coils.

This first pic is with horrible offset, oversized rear tires, cut stock springs (i couldn't wait for ksports to come in), and destroyed fenders thanks to the cut springs after hitting bumps while turning..

Cleaned up the fenders by hand as much as i could, threw some spacers on, some of my shops stickers, painted my wheel lips, and ran streched tires:

Next, is the latest pic of my car/wheel/tire combo. I polished my entire wheel, after stripping all the bs paint and powdercoat off, and repainted the centers with some transparent purple. Here are a few pics of how it sits now. (btw, still working on the front wheels)

Thats all im worried about doing for now on the exterior. I plan on a full kit, paint, and other exterior goodies after i take complete care of my motor/tranny/suspension.

Onto my plans for my motor!
Old 03-22-12, 11:13 PM
TooGoode
Driver School Candidate

Now, as far as my motor setup goes, I originally planned to go the na-t route considering the cost of the vvti 2jz, i started with a early lexus sc300 2jz, tore it apart, and had it completely gone through, magnafluxed, sonic cleaned, decked, honed, ect blah blah blah. Here are some pics after i got it back from the machine shop and had it clearanced/assembled:

Putting in mains:

hone/deck work:

crank clearanced/installed:

and last but not least, pistons:

My color theme for this car is obviously leaned towards purple, so i got bored and sprayed the freeze plugs, block, and oil pain, sealed, and installed them:

Regardless of what head i went with, i would still need a drain flange. -10 billet:

So, fast forward a bit. Working at a performance shop has its advantages. Got me a good deal on a JDM 2jzgte head. So im stuck on getting that sucker in. I love the look of the original gte over the vvti anyways I ordered me my favorite little turbo (t78), and decent little ffim, and a chinese exhaust manifold. I plan on running this exhaust setup temporarily, as im going to run a compound setup with twin scroll mani, but ill get to that later:

again, my theme is purple, so i got me a few purple goodies! Tial mvr wastegate, 4" inlet for the turbo, cam gears, custom made oil line and some other goodies. Here are some more pics of the progress :

Going an on as much as i can with this. I want minimal leaks, ease of replacement, style, looks, and strenth. Got me fittings from my turbo to the wastegate:

t78+purple 4" inlet=insert puppy here:

custom oil line:

wategate:

Cam gears/greddy timing belt. Going to go with hks, need to order!:

Welded -10 an onto my valve covers and polished them (note the 1jz intake mani was for mockup for customers harness i built)

Last edited by TooGoode; 03-22-12 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-22-12, 11:15 PM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

476k! keep us updated, car looks good.
Old 03-22-12, 11:45 PM
TooGoode
Driver School Candidate

IT keeps going!!!
Got ahold of a 22k mile r154 from a supra. cleaned, painted, polished, schweeeet.

Who has r154s? I do!

Who polished their bellhousing? I do!!

That about all i feel like posting for now. The head is still on my block until i finish up all the mocking up. Im waiting on some l19's to come in so i can get her cut and bolted on. I also have some USDM gte cams coming in the mail as well to hold me over until i get my valvetrain built.

I have so many things i have to finish/take care of on the car before i can even think of starting up my new motor setup.

Make a custom clutch pedal and install it
finish fiberglassing my custom gauge cluster for my plx gauges
install plx gauges
weld on tial flange and re route dump tube
build full exhaust
make custom ac lines (tucked)
delete master brake cylinder and install avalon setup
install ksport hydraulic ebrakes
run complete new fuel system
shave bay,
tuck,relocate,extent,shorted all bay harnesses and move computer to glove box
extent shifter,
and the list goes on..... After all i said and done, i hope to be around 700rwhp, full interior, cage, ac, shaved/tucked bay, compound turbo setup using my t78 and stock evo turbo, water to air intercooler, silent exhaust with elec. cut out, all while working 100+ hours a week trying to keep up on other peoples cars. It all comes down to me having time to work on it. The more progress i slowly squeeze out of it, ill post pics/updates. Hopefully everything starts coming together soon because i can't wait to smash at the track!
Old 03-23-12, 08:49 PM
themccoy14
Driver

This is gonna be the coolest thing ever. Way to be!
Old 03-23-12, 09:17 PM
HangLoose
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very very nice, can't wait to see this outcome.
Old 03-25-12, 11:47 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Build progress looks good man. Keep up the good work!
Old 03-26-12, 12:20 AM
GS300LUV
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wow

All I have to say is WOW!! I am very jealous right now. I so wish I had the access to a good shop! Good luck bro! Cant wait to see this thing once its running!! Please for the love of god keep on posting on you set up!
Old 03-27-12, 09:01 AM
TooGoode
Driver School Candidate

Wow, thanks guys, didn't know there would be too much interest in this. I do have a small update on my motor though. Some goodies came in the mail

Still have to order a purple hks fuel rail, purple billet throttle body ect. But its slowly coming together!
Old 03-27-12, 01:22 PM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<----jaw drops
Old 03-27-12, 01:38 PM
2GSC300
Lead Lap

Wow, 5k is high for a car with that many miles. Other than that, can't wait to see the outcome. What engine management are you gonna run?
Old 03-27-12, 05:34 PM
TooGoode
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2GSC300
Wow, 5k is high for a car with that many miles. Other than that, can't wait to see the outcome. What engine management are you gonna run?

im going to start out with aem fic running the 2jzgte with my oem electronics. I didn't want to loose ac/cruise/ect considering they are all tied in on our cars. What i will be doing is using my other extra stock engine harness and tying it into my 2jzgte harness to run along with each other so i can run ac and all the other amenities.

As i start to build my harness, tuck, shave, ect, ill throw up pics as i can. I just picked up a dd im gonna get running and driving around so i can pull my old motor and make some real progress on it!
Old 03-28-12, 05:43 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

nice nice nice very nice! can't wait to see the finished car!
Old 03-29-12, 06:57 PM
Highway
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm diggin this bigtime.. Keep grinding man!
Old 04-02-12, 02:52 PM
2GSC300
Lead Lap

Looking forward to the updated pics and write up

Quick Reply: Project beater gs drift *****: 2jzgte, single, r154, shave,flush, you get the picture