Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Full Cat back 2.25" custom Maganflow exhaust installed today.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-13, 03:31 PM
Jcorwin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

That was the other question I had - why the xpipe. Without knowing for sure, I'm speculating that xpipe is just another resonator? I went to the shop today, the owner actually suggested JUST the xpipe as opposed to having both of the additional mufflers( resonators) mentioned in this thread. What I 'think' that means is, the resonator is acting as additional method to quiet the car at cruising speed, and nothing else? Anyone can correct me - all new to me!

Thanks!
Old 06-25-13, 09:27 AM
rwheelz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adding resonators will definitely smooth out the exhaust tone. Usually they sound less "boomy" with resonators. It seems many people on here add X-pipes as well, and I know they are popular with the V8 muscle car crowd. An exhaust shop told me I should build a system that runs dual pipes front to rear without any X- or Y- pipes, but I have not found a single thread on here where someone did that and did not get any responses when I posted asking about it.
Old 06-29-13, 06:11 AM
GS4hunnit
Driver

Are you sure that the exhaust shop said to build an exhaust system WITHOUT a crossover? Because, though not necessary that crossover pipe is there to balance and synchronize exhaust pulses, it also promotes scavenging to further efficiency therefore power. If you run 2 seperate pipes from each bank im sure youll lose power and most likely sound like crap.
Old 06-30-13, 04:21 PM
Jcorwin
Driver School Candidate

Default Here's the breakdown

Opinions are welcome.......

Option 1 from the muffler shop based on this post
So I took a look, and did some math and some homework on this and here are the two scenarios we have:

You order the magnapacks and muffler/tips ($460-$480 @ summit) and we charge $540 for the labor and the piping and x pipe ($39.99 in stock on our shelves) = $1000 plus any taxes...
BUT, no warranty on the mufflers....

OR
We bring in all your parts, and do the piping and what not, with FULL warranty on the whole system (parts and labor) for $1140 plus taxes....

Either way, that is one HELL of a nice sounding system there. I enjoyed the video sound byte. Makes me want a Lexus....... almost.

Option 2 from the Muffler shop
I have another option below... with 2 MAIN differences. One - non high polished stainless mufflers... so it wont be as "flashy" looking. Two, instead of the 2 magnapacks and xpipe connector, we could use a dual in / dual out tru x muffler (what I have on my Jeep).
The tru x muffler basically combines the magnapacks with the x pipe in ONE assembly, so it also yields a very good, clean looking system with less components.

We can build that system here in shop for roughly $879 plus any taxes.... with a pair of stainless tips out the pack. SO, it will look clean with nice tips, and sound just as great. Just no "high polish" on the mufflers.

Last edited by Jcorwin; 07-01-13 at 04:04 AM.