Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Best intake/exhaust mod for gains

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-11, 10:30 AM
maticcis
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best intake/exhaust mod for gains

hey guys,
new to the fourms just sold my car a couple weeks ago and am going to pick up a 2007 is350 (x /sport/prem. package black/black) on sunday!!!

and me being the person i am, sadly cant take how quiet the car sounds, SO i gotta do something to it and fast haha

I was just wondering what simple mod, like an intake or mid pipes or w/e that i could get done that would give me the most HP gains and hopfully also a bettter sound to the car???

thanks,
maticc
Old 11-25-11, 10:38 AM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the car!!

There aren't many mods available for the car that will give you significant horsepower gains. But for sound there are several intakes and exhausts to choose from. I've heard the F-Sport intake and exhaust in person and they sound great, I'm working to put those on my car here in the next few months.

Search YouTube, you'll find plenty of videos to get an idea of what the sound will be like. Here is one of an IS250:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOA8f...eature=related
Old 11-25-11, 10:47 AM
maticcis
Rookie

Originally Posted by greg0126
Congrats on the car!!

There aren't many mods available for the car that will give you significant horsepower gains. But for sound there are several intakes and exhausts to choose from. I've heard the F-Sport intake and exhaust in person and they sound great, I'm working to put those on my car here in the next few months.

Search YouTube, you'll find plenty of videos to get an idea of what the sound will be like. Here is one of an IS250:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOA8f...eature=related
thanks! im really excited to get it
and that combo dose sound really good, dont you think itll be louder on a 350 too instead of a 250? idk thinking bigger engine more noise haha
and ive been looking into getting like a short ram intake i think but i just dont know the diffrence really in intake size and what would in the end give me more gains hahaha *still on my mind* cause i mean one has to give more then the other right?
Old 11-25-11, 10:52 AM
dragnz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by maticcis
thanks! im really excited to get it
and that combo dose sound really good, dont you think itll be louder on a 350 too instead of a 250? idk thinking bigger engine more noise haha
and ive been looking into getting like a short ram intake i think but i just dont know the diffrence really in intake size and what would in the end give me more gains hahaha *still on my mind* cause i mean one has to give more then the other right?
Not much louder as I have that combo, that voice is as close as it gets. If you need another let me know :P
Old 11-25-11, 11:52 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

as far as budget you can get the Joe Z intake tube and an HKS filter for about $160. The F Sport exhaust is really nice but a bit pricey. You can also look at the HKS Hi Power axle back exhaust. Although I like the look of the F Sport better though. Just a thought. Welcome to CL. You got the best color and post a pic when you get it. Use the search tool to see if it can answer any of your questions.
Old 11-25-11, 12:53 PM
2genIS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by maticcis
hey guys,
new to the fourms just sold my car a couple weeks ago and am going to pick up a 2007 is350 (x /sport/prem. package black/black) on sunday!!!

and me being the person i am, sadly cant take how quiet the car sounds, SO i gotta do something to it and fast haha

I was just wondering what simple mod, like an intake or mid pipes or w/e that i could get done that would give me the most HP gains and hopfully also a bettter sound to the car???

thanks,
maticc
Here you go... F-sport intake discount price..... read this thread...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...y-deals-6.html
Old 11-25-11, 01:50 PM
maticcis
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2genIS
Here you go... F-sport intake discount price..... read this thread...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...y-deals-6.html
Perfect! That may just be it
Was hoping to spend around 250the or less
Anyone know if theirs any gains ?
Old 11-25-11, 02:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The Joe Z intake and Joe Z true dual exhaust combo will probably give the best "gains" out there.
Old 11-25-11, 02:21 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

F-sport intake + F-sport exhaust and Nvidia midpipe.
Old 11-25-11, 06:34 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

How deep are your pockets? Lol!
Old 11-25-11, 06:58 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

More important since the OP is in California- how willing are you to drive around a car that won't pass inspection?

F-sport is the only legal intake available for you. Joe Z might get past inspectors who don't know it's not stock though.

All the axle-backs should be ok, but any midpipe, header, or "full" exhaust like the Joe Z system will fail pretty handily on a visual check.
Old 11-26-11, 04:28 PM
maticcis
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gville350
How deep are your pockets? Lol!
Never deep enough haha
But around 250
My girls actually gonna buy itdor me for christmas
Old 11-26-11, 04:50 PM
maticcis
Rookie

Originally Posted by smokyis350
F-sport intake + F-sport exhaust and Nvidia midpipe.
How much dose that midpipe cost?
And what's it for 2nd cat delete
Old 11-28-11, 10:44 PM
thISguy350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurtz
More important since the OP is in California- how willing are you to drive around a car that won't pass inspection?

F-sport is the only legal intake available for you. Joe Z might get past inspectors who don't know it's not stock though.

All the axle-backs should be ok, but any midpipe, header, or "full" exhaust like the Joe Z system will fail pretty handily on a visual check.
so how do you get a catback exhaust for the IS? its just funny to hear you say you can't get a full exhaust in cali... i've been modding cars here for years... you can do a lot here.
Old 11-29-11, 06:26 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by thISguy350
so how do you get a catback exhaust for the IS?
Legally? You don't.

Originally Posted by thISguy350
its just funny to hear you say you can't get a full exhaust in cali... i've been modding cars here for years... you can do a lot here.
Not legally you can't. If you've "got a guy" you slip a 20 to, that's your business though.

If it removes any working emissions components, which all exhausts except the axle-backs do on the 2IS, it's not legal in any US state. CA is just a lot more likely to notice than, say, Alabama.

"cat back" on the 2IS usually removes the rear 2 cats (as do the midpipes).

That's illegal in every state in the US.

Now, there's a few vendors who call their exhausts catbacks, when they're really the same as the axle-backs, but that's another story.

In CA you can't even replace a non-working emissions component unless the replacement part has an EO# from CARB. Which far as I know none of the catback exhausts do for the 2IS (because it costs like $50,000 to get an EO #).

This is also why there are no legal intakes for the 2IS other than the F-sport one...nobody but Lexus had 50 grand to drop on the certification.

You've got your pick of the axle-backs in CA, since they bolt on past any emissions components, but that's it... legally anyway.

Quick Reply: Best intake/exhaust mod for gains