Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GS430 Better Tranny shifts just by adjusting dial?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-14, 11:36 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

was it actually worth spending that much? did it help that much?
Old 07-29-14, 05:48 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

<-------------- Staying with factory setting.. we are not smarter or know better than what Lexus Engineers know...
Old 07-29-14, 08:24 PM
RoMiLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ILL05GS
You're forgetting that the clutch slippage takes away torque applied to the gears. Less slippage causes more stress on the gears instead of the clutch plates. A good ATF, such as Amsoil's, can take the heat all day long so heat isn't a really big factor.
I didnt forget. But the shifting is so ridiculously soft that a little firming up isnt going to shatter the gears. They arent made of glass. And i know different fluids and big front mount trans coolers can assist in keeping temps down. But the majority of the time 1) heat kills transmissions, 2) slipping and long shifts make heat. Its one big reason you see guys with more stall go with trans coolers. So if it shifts quicker and it has the stock stall the trans temps should end up being slightly lower at certain times, like in a traffic jam that goes from 0-30mph for 6 miles many times.

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
<-------------- Staying with factory setting.. we are not smarter or know better than what Lexus Engineers know...
Ehh, sort of. While most of us are not engineers some of us want something different from what they set up as a kind of "this will make the majority of them happy" settings. Did you know some car manufacturers add non-structural weight to the doors to make them feel more solid? Because light feels cheap and flimsy. So the very soft transmission panders to whom they figured would be buying these cars. People who do not want to hear the exhaust tone or the intake growl or feel a snappy aggressive shift from the transmission. It always comes down to money and greed. How many fewer units of GS series cars would not get sold because the consumer reports claim that the transmission was "too harsh"? Probably alot would be not sold being that these are a luxury type car.

Last edited by RoMiLex; 07-29-14 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-30-14, 12:07 PM
ILL05GS
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GSJake
I has this installed about a month ago. Makes the shifts night and day quicker and firmer.
They drill the main passages to accept more fluid thus more pressure.

http://www.importperformancetrans.co...here-3108.html
I would love to see a video of this car shifting
Old 07-31-14, 11:33 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ILL05GS
I would love to see a video of this car shifting
I had this done with a Dragon 2300 stall TC. So between the both it really helped the lag issues that are transmission are prone to.
Old 07-31-14, 04:10 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RoMiLex
Ehh, sort of. While most of us are not engineers some of us want something different from what they set up as a kind of "this will make the majority of them happy" settings. Did you know some car manufacturers add non-structural weight to the doors to make them feel more solid? Because light feels cheap and flimsy. So the very soft transmission panders to whom they figured would be buying these cars. People who do not want to hear the exhaust tone or the intake growl or feel a snappy aggressive shift from the transmission. It always comes down to money and greed. How many fewer units of GS series cars would not get sold because the consumer reports claim that the transmission was "too harsh"? Probably alot would be not sold being that these are a luxury type car.
Yep, I agree about non-structural weight however some of that weight is also used for weight distribution to balance the car out at certain points. I can also agree with you on that the car in stock form is really soft shifting but its a luxury car but is "suppose" to be performance oriented luxury car. I added the Torque Converter and LSD and it really woke up the car.. I use to have Corvettes with shift kits and all and i kind of missed the quick shifts and chirping tires in every gear but IMO i don't think i want that in my Lexus. I think TC/LSD is enough. Plus i won't want to stray off to far with anything having to do more with touching the Tranny. I don't think it boils down to just money, I think they intended the car to have a balnace of luxury of performance ofcourse some of us want more of the lean of performance on our cars which is why I have owned a few Infiniti(s). (Infiniti is less soft and more performance oriented Luxo brand) I do agree the pre-FSport cars are very soft but I still think Lexus did a fine job for what they were trying to achieve at that time, now people want more sporty/racier cars hence voila F-Sport models.
Old 07-31-14, 07:48 PM
ILL05GS
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GSJake
I had this done with a Dragon 2300 stall TC. So between the both it really helped the lag issues that are transmission are prone to.
Still would love to see a video for comparison!
Old 08-02-14, 05:31 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Yep, I agree about non-structural weight however some of that weight is also used for weight distribution to balance the car out at certain points. I can also agree with you on that the car in stock form is really soft shifting but its a luxury car but is "suppose" to be performance oriented luxury car. I added the Torque Converter and LSD and it really woke up the car.. I use to have Corvettes with shift kits and all and i kind of missed the quick shifts and chirping tires in every gear but IMO i don't think i want that in my Lexus. I think TC/LSD is enough. Plus i won't want to stray off to far with anything having to do more with touching the Tranny. I don't think it boils down to just money, I think they intended the car to have a balnace of luxury of performance ofcourse some of us want more of the lean of performance on our cars which is why I have owned a few Infiniti(s). (Infiniti is less soft and more performance oriented Luxo brand) I do agree the pre-FSport cars are very soft but I still think Lexus did a fine job for what they were trying to achieve at that time, now people want more sporty/racier cars hence voila F-Sport models.
I really think you are missing there point here.

None of the weight added to doors has to do with balancing the car.

If you've added a TC and LSD - why would you not want to adjust the pressure setting - that the engineers PUT THERE?

At first you talked about staying stock so I said "ok" - then you tell us you modded your car but don't want to use a factory installed optional setting?

Yes they intended the car to have some balance of luxury and performance but I also know that there were many concessions mad and this shows us that they thought about how many complaints they would get because the tranny shifted too soft.
Old 08-02-14, 07:14 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by angus
I really think you are missing there point here.

None of the weight added to doors has to do with balancing the car.

If you've added a TC and LSD - why would you not want to adjust the pressure setting - that the engineers PUT THERE?

At first you talked about staying stock so I said "ok" - then you tell us you modded your car but don't want to use a factory installed optional setting?

Yes they intended the car to have some balance of luxury and performance but I also know that there were many concessions mad and this shows us that they thought about how many complaints they would get because the tranny shifted too soft.
Well I have one car thats stock and another thats modded if you're confused..

I'm actually very content with TC/LSD on my modded 400 and that as far as i'm going to go with it as far as tranny. I'm not that into neck snapping shifts as i once were.. hehe

I personally feel my mods on my GS400 is as near perfect as I can get and my 430 is stock so i'm loving that too (Jekyl and Hyde) LOL
Old 10-09-14, 09:32 PM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

So I had a car come in and had his tranny oil changed - while we were in there he asked if I could turn the dial.

I never drove the car before but I can say that it felt a little better than a stock GS - It did get me to thinking about one thing.

The IS300 always seems to shift quicker and harder than the GS - since their tranny is the same (A650E) I wonder if simply swapping the valve bodies would give us the same shifts?
Old 10-15-14, 08:38 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Is this dial actually something that can and is supposed to be adjusted? Or is it not recommended ? Because I've never heard of this. If you can possibly tell me where or point me to where it's at so I can tell my mechanic to try this.
Old 10-17-14, 09:34 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
Is this dial actually something that can and is supposed to be adjusted? Or is it not recommended ? Because I've never heard of this. If you can possibly tell me where or point me to where it's at so I can tell my mechanic to try this.
Read this thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ting-dial.html
Old 10-31-14, 01:25 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

OK, I'd like to chime in now after a little more seat time with my 99 GS4.

I did the mod and I can definitely feel the difference, the most pronounced part is the downshifts.

You can really feel it kick in and I like it - I just bought the toyomoto style "rods" and I think I may try it next - although I need to get the figs rear diff and subframe bushings first as it really moves around on the stock bushings right now.
Old 10-31-14, 05:31 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

You guys don't think this will put extra stress in the tranny and make it not last as long? Maybe the reason lexus tuned it this way?
Old 01-21-15, 04:28 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

reading through this got me thinking... since the A650E is used in the LS, GS, SC, and IS, isn't is possible that this switch is meant to be set at a certain position at the factory depending on which model the trans is going into? the comfort oriented LS would probably be on a softer setting, while the more sporty and stiffer GS would be on a higher pressure setting. this way the same trans can be used in different cars yet still allow for a different feel across the model range. either way, it's something i'd be looking to do on my LS...

Quick Reply: GS430 Better Tranny shifts just by adjusting dial?