Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Removed resonator on is250 Intake tube, anyone else try this? noticed no change

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-19, 04:47 AM
soulific
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Removed resonator on is250 Intake tube, anyone else try this? noticed no change

I didn’t originally want a intake since the gain is so minimal, but after getting my exhaust I was curious of how a intake would make the car sound as well.

I may eventually get a legit intake tube such as the fsport one, but in the meantime I removed the stock resonator and plugged it to see if there was any difference. From looking at after market tubes compared to stock. The biggest difference was the resonator box on the intake tube.

I got a pvc plug that fit perfectly from Home Depot and plugged the hole after removing the resonator. I reset the ecu and went for a drive. I didn’t really noticed any sound change from having the resonator box, at any rpm. Not sure if I was imagining it but it seemed to make my tanabe exhaust drone more.

The stock intake tube is surprising smooth inside. There is only about 1.5 inches of ripples at one end. The rest even though outside shows grooves, the surface inside is smooth. So not sure how getting a intake pipe such as fsport or joe z really makes a huge difference from just removing and plugging the resonator. I’d also rather have plastic then aluminum also, as it’s a little less prone to heat soak.

i know cutting and smoothing the lower box to emulate the fsport box will gain sound, and I may just do it when I’m bored.

any one else try what I have done? And what were your thoughts? I may also try the plug the inlet where the valve vents into the intake tube, and run a breather filter on the valve cover as well.

Old 03-04-19, 06:55 AM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

I think the intake induction sound is less from the tube and more from the extra hole in the air box. So you could just cut a hole in the box and probably get a similar sound. I posed the heatsoak question on Redspencer's build thread asking if the carbon intake tube by RR racing would help since it's carbon and not aluminum but I think one member chimed in that the ambient air temps of the engine bay would make the intake as hot regardless of material. I'd probably assume that the plastic and carbon wouldn't get as hot as fast though.

If you do decide to get the intake tube, I'd prob go for the RR racing one unless you can find one used. Idk if there are any new ones even left at this point, and even if they are, it'd prob be more expensive than the RR carbon one.
Old 03-04-19, 09:37 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

The RR carbon one doesn't have the valve cover breather if anyone cares. Me personally I'd drill it and make one because being open and breathing well is the difference between an engine not building internal pressure should that filter plug (from oil saturation) and lack of maintenance.

Once crankcase pressure builds seals get compromised and engines seep oil. Some blow the dipsticks out as pressure spikes. It just seems stupid to go back to the stone age of venting the crankcase to atmosphere.

If it already burns oil, fix it or put a CC on it.

As for materials, heat soak is heat soak. It matters more how it is driven. If stuck in traffic temps will rise. If cruising at 1/4 throttle they drop as air is being replaced. Actually it seems funny they made the F-sport bottom. In traffic it makes heat soak worse. It's made for sound....
Old 03-17-19, 05:20 PM
soulific
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Well I decided to just design and build my own intake. I used diameter piping closer to oem as my goal was to just get better throttle response, and I got it. Hp from all after market intake tubes are around 5hp, and I’m pretty sure I got that with mine without a dyno test.

I may be offering my kit to anyone that wants to purchase. Aluminum piping would be cheaper and carbon fiber would be pricier obviously.... aluminum would work the same and carbon fiber would on have a benefit of slight less heat.

With my original test of the resonator box plugged on original rubber pipe I really didn’t notice a great sound increase, but I did get slightly better throttle response.

With my custom intake I got the best throttle response and a slight throaty sound. I would say day and night difference being that the pipe is now straight thru and solid, not rubber with some grooves like oem.

So a hard pipe intake is worth it, for feel and response even though hp gain is minimal. I notice and feel the pedal more as I have a manual IS250. Any change in throttle response is more noticeable as you feather the gas and clutch while driving manual.

temperature even after driving hard for a half hour is cool to touch. A aluminum pipe would be too hot to touch. I even checked temperature with a laser reader.

I got a cel due to lean condition from a coupler not tightened hard enough... So while I had the intake I made off before retightening , I wanted to check/test the oem rubber pipe again but with the vacuum fitting plugged and the valve cover venting to atmosphere like the intake I made. The result of this was same throttle response as having only the resonator box plugged. No gain in feel... The problem with oem piping is that it’s soft rubber and flexes. So throttle response lacks compared to having a solid hard pipe.

i prefer venting the valve cover to atmosphere as it didn’t seem to gain or decrease performance from feel I can tell you. However there are other benefits you can read online on your own. And risk factors as another member explained in this thread. I would gladly take the benefits, as the risks can be avoided from proper maintenance.

Last edited by soulific; 03-17-19 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-09-19, 01:11 PM
IS250DIYER
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was also wondering if you could prevent the valve cover like that. Has anyone tried to run a hose from the intake tube to the upper part of the intake manifold where it has a plug I was thinking maybe since that part is sucking air to it might suck air faster through the intake and bring more air in or will that have no affect. I did a quick intake by cutting right behind the stock air box where it starts to turn circular and I just threw an air filter on that it was kind of short but it work. I notice a difference in both sound and response I ran that for a little while but then I just bought one