Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS250 MT: Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel and Spec Stage 2 Clutch Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-17, 10:33 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jayzgte
Just bought an 06 is250 mt, 69k miles, transmission is a little grindy, does anyone know if the transmission is covered under tsb still?
Unfortunately the car would be too old for it to be covered any longer.

Jeff
Old 01-10-19, 01:41 PM
tposey3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I was trying to browse this thread to figure what I should do about my current clutch & flywheel situation. I have a 2007 is250 MT RWD. My clutch is completely worn out & I'm not sure of the condition of my flywheel. I've purchased an Aisin OEM replacement (unsprung) clutch kit but I wanted to avoid spending $2k on a replacement dual mass flywheel if it turns out that it needs to be replaced. I saw that Fidanza & Spec had some single mass flywheel options for a large price difference. I saw some things about changing from dual mass to single flywheel, but I would like to know will I run into any issues with replacing my clutch, with an Aisin unsprung OEM option with a Fidanza or Spec single mass flywheel. I tried to reach out to Fidanza directly but haven't heard anything back yet. Any helpful advice would really help me out. Thanks
Old 01-19-19, 08:04 AM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tposey3
Hey guys, I was trying to browse this thread to figure what I should do about my current clutch & flywheel situation. I have a 2007 is250 MT RWD. My clutch is completely worn out & I'm not sure of the condition of my flywheel. I've purchased an Aisin OEM replacement (unsprung) clutch kit but I wanted to avoid spending $2k on a replacement dual mass flywheel if it turns out that it needs to be replaced. I saw that Fidanza & Spec had some single mass flywheel options for a large price difference. I saw some things about changing from dual mass to single flywheel, but I would like to know will I run into any issues with replacing my clutch, with an Aisin unsprung OEM option with a Fidanza or Spec single mass flywheel. I tried to reach out to Fidanza directly but haven't heard anything back yet. Any helpful advice would really help me out. Thanks
To be honest, the Fidanza flywheel and unsprung clutch replacement completely destroyed my car and made it undrivable. I don't know if it's because my mechanic installed it incorrectly, but the clutch was completely worn out by the time I traded the car in. And I got rid of the car in months, not years, after the change. The sad reality is that the IS250 has a Tacoma transmission. Nothing is going to change the fact that it feels clunky. If I had to do it all again, I would just get OEM parts and not try to make any modifications.

To your specific question, you shouldn't have to replace your flywheel. It's a tank and designed to last pretty much forever, so I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to install the unsprung kit, go ahead, but I believe it will feel heavier and more abrupt.

I just saw a PM sent two years ago from another owner who tried out this install too. He ended up going back to the OEM setup because he hated it.

Last edited by mikeho; 01-19-19 at 08:06 AM. Reason: adding note about a PM
Old 09-19-19, 12:03 PM
LiquidLaos
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeho
To be honest, the Fidanza flywheel and unsprung clutch replacement completely destroyed my car and made it undrivable. I don't know if it's because my mechanic installed it incorrectly, but the clutch was completely worn out by the time I traded the car in. And I got rid of the car in months, not years, after the change. The sad reality is that the IS250 has a Tacoma transmission. Nothing is going to change the fact that it feels clunky. If I had to do it all again, I would just get OEM parts and not try to make any modifications.

To your specific question, you shouldn't have to replace your flywheel. It's a tank and designed to last pretty much forever, so I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to install the unsprung kit, go ahead, but I believe it will feel heavier and more abrupt.

I just saw a PM sent two years ago from another owner who tried out this install too. He ended up going back to the OEM setup because he hated it.
I just wanted to chime in on this topic since I just got this setup installed not too long ago. I've read this thread a few times before making my decision on buying the Fidanza flywheel and Spec D stage 1 (rigid disc) clutch kit.

Firstly, I ended up replacing both because I had the issue where I had a fairly loud chatter during idle (clutch not depressed) and it was starting to get embarrassing at stop lights which I've read in other forums that it could be a multitude of things such as pilot bearing, release bearing, input shaft bearing etc. Although my clutch was not slipping at all, I figured it was time to upgrade the system anyways at 190,000km. I was wary about the overall lifespan of the clutch/flywheel system. I'm still in the break-in period but here are my thoughts:

- I do have chatter around 2000-2200rpm like a few others in thread
- It's very hard to get into first, third to fourth and fifth to six. I really don't want to believe that my syncro's are shot simply because of a clutch/flywheel replacement and I'll comment more about this 1000km's time.
- If this clutch is going to only last a few months then I definitely made the wrong choice (and a very expensive one at that) I would classify myself as a fairly conservative driver.

You're right about it being a Tacoma transmission and no amount of modifications to the clutch or flywheel will make it feel like a compact luxury sedan. Having the last of the manual Lexus cars is now a love/hate relationship.
The following users liked this post:
DaveGS4 (09-19-19)
Old 09-23-19, 12:55 AM
Perica
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LiquidLaos
I just wanted to chime in on this topic since I just got this setup installed not too long ago. I've read this thread a few times before making my decision on buying the Fidanza flywheel and Spec D stage 1 (rigid disc) clutch kit.

Firstly, I ended up replacing both because I had the issue where I had a fairly loud chatter during idle (clutch not depressed) and it was starting to get embarrassing at stop lights which I've read in other forums that it could be a multitude of things such as pilot bearing, release bearing, input shaft bearing etc. Although my clutch was not slipping at all, I figured it was time to upgrade the system anyways at 190,000km. I was wary about the overall lifespan of the clutch/flywheel system. I'm still in the break-in period but here are my thoughts:

- I do have chatter around 2000-2200rpm like a few others in thread
- It's very hard to get into first, third to fourth and fifth to six. I really don't want to believe that my syncro's are shot simply because of a clutch/flywheel replacement and I'll comment more about this 1000km's time.
- If this clutch is going to only last a few months then I definitely made the wrong choice (and a very expensive one at that) I would classify myself as a fairly conservative driver.

You're right about it being a Tacoma transmission and no amount of modifications to the clutch or flywheel will make it feel like a compact luxury sedan. Having the last of the manual Lexus cars is now a love/hate relationship.

Hi all ill throw in what I did when my clutch was ready to be changed about 4 years ago now, I just got the F sport clutch, and its been pretty good besides sometimes when I downshift it does a bit of a weird grind, it doesnt happen often so I live with it. Got 226000 km on it now and its good