Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS250 MT: Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel and Spec Stage 2 Clutch Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-12, 08:43 PM
iTaLiAnO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would like to see the TSB as well. what would be the pros/cons to getting it done. sorry im a litte confused
Old 03-13-12, 07:55 PM
iTaLiAnO
Driver School Candidate

can anyone with the TSB send me a PM? id really like to see it!
Old 03-13-12, 09:24 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

I'd like another copy of it as well. It is no longer listed in Canada's system, I'd prefer the Canadian copy of it, but I'd settle for the USA copy.

Thanks!

Jeff
Old 03-14-12, 06:27 PM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Jeff, PM me your email and I'll send it to you.
Old 03-29-12, 09:27 AM
Moekind
Driver School Candidate

Can somebody pm me the Canadian version of the TSB. Thank you so much.
Old 03-29-12, 10:13 AM
iTaLiAnO
Driver School Candidate

^^ PM me ur email
Old 04-13-12, 06:55 AM
bennzies
Driver School Candidate

Default @Mikeho in regards to fidanza/spec swap

Originally Posted by mikeho
I know this thread has been talking about the TSIB update for a while now, but I wanted to give an update on my Fidanza/Spec swap.

I found a fix for the squeak: San Francisco hills. Being on the hill at a stoplight and being forced to dump the clutch at 4K to keep from rolling back temporarily cured the issue. For the rest of the day, there was no more squeak!

The squeak came back later, but it's definitely less noticeable. I'll have to do it one more time and I think that might get rid of the issue entirely.

Overall, aside from the squeak, I'm happy with the change. The shifting is smoother. The clutch is lighter than my OEM clutch (but pepos said the opposite, so YMMV) and much, much shorter. The OEM clutch used to be gradual over the entire length of the pedal travel; this clutch has about a 1 inch distance between disengaged to engaged.
Hey Mike,
I live in Sydney Australia so I want to be sure that the parts i purchase are going to fit my vehicle with no problems. I have been reading all your updates on the fidanza/spec swap. I understand the only problem you had was the squeaking from the spec clutch?

I am a little confused? Did you say the spec stage 2 clutch was or wasn't a sprung clutch? It appears an un-sprung clutch can damage the transmission?

You also mentioned the bolt sizes were incorrect?

Cheers, Ben
Old 04-23-12, 11:45 AM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bennzies
Hey Mike,
I live in Sydney Australia so I want to be sure that the parts i purchase are going to fit my vehicle with no problems. I have been reading all your updates on the fidanza/spec swap. I understand the only problem you had was the squeaking from the spec clutch?

I am a little confused? Did you say the spec stage 2 clutch was or wasn't a sprung clutch? It appears an un-sprung clutch can damage the transmission?

You also mentioned the bolt sizes were incorrect?

Cheers, Ben
Hey Ben,

Sorry it took so long for me to respond. Yeah, the clutch still squeaks, but it's been getting better. I'm not sure if it'll go away entirely, but at least it's not as loud as before.

Get the Spec Stage 2 Sprung Clutch. You might have to call them to order, since the OEM is an unsprung one. Yes, the unsprung can damage the transmission.

You will have to cut the bolts a bit to get the fitment correct.

If your car is still under warranty, I would take it in for the transmission replacement first to see if it's any better. I like the way my car drives, but of course, it's no longer whisper quite at idle.
Old 01-27-14, 09:34 AM
arpegius
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikeho
Hey Ben,
You will have to cut the bolts a bit to get the fitment correct.
Do you happen to know what is the right lenght?? My mechanic did not cut them, he used washers and I want to have it checked and remounted with the proper bolts, any idea of teh size or where to get them?? Please and thanks...
Old 01-31-14, 10:25 AM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by arpegius
Do you happen to know what is the right lenght?? My mechanic did not cut them, he used washers and I want to have it checked and remounted with the proper bolts, any idea of teh size or where to get them?? Please and thanks...
Unfortunately, no, I don't. My mechanic handled that. To be honest, some people had some great experiences with this setup, but I didn't. My clutch wore out in less than 2 months. I don't know if it's the fitment, but it didn't work for me. I ended up getting rid of the car.

Sad to say, but when I had a BMW 128i manual as a loaner, that transmission was more fun to drive and smoother, even if the engine itself wasn't as powerful.
Old 04-15-15, 12:22 AM
CXYIS250
Driver School Candidate

anybody else here the conversion. I am just about to order parts for my 06 IS250. I am in Australia and ordering parts from USA any recommended suppliers?

Last edited by CXYIS250; 05-08-15 at 02:56 AM.
Old 05-23-15, 01:25 PM
drtag
Driver School Candidate

Hi Everyone:

Just got my 2006 IS250 6MT back from my mechanic yesterday. Had him install the SPEC Stage 1 clutch and their aluminum flywheel manufactured specifically for the IS 250. I ordered them off two different sellers on eBay, who I later discovered, simply ordered them from SPEC directly. After reading various issues related to mating the SPEC Stage 2 to the Fidanza flywheel, I decided to try using their version of the replacement single-mass flywheel designed to work specifically with their clutch. My vehicle had 129,000 miles on the original clutch and flywheel and it was starting to slip a bit. I'm an older driver so my "clutch-dumping" days are behind me but I like the feel of a responsive clutch/gearbox so decided to give the conversion a try.

The only issues with installation were that my mechanic found that the M10 X 1.25 45mm long bolts supplied by SPEC were too short for the install as the would only tighten about 3 thread turns into the crank. I actually ended up calling SPEC directly and their guy told me that 45 mm was the length that their engineers specified for that kit. My mechanic felt that 50 mm would be more appropriate and he was convinced that they must've shipped the 45 mm's in error. I was able to get him a set of 50 mm bolts yesterday, which worked out great. Very little time behind the wheel but so far i like it. More responsive than before. Just need to tackle that poor throttle response next.
Old 05-23-15, 05:04 PM
CXYIS250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by drtag
Hi Everyone:

Just got my 2006 IS250 6MT back from my mechanic yesterday. Had him install the SPEC Stage 1 clutch and their aluminum flywheel manufactured specifically for the IS 250. I ordered them off two different sellers on eBay, who I later discovered, simply ordered them from SPEC directly. After reading various issues related to mating the SPEC Stage 2 to the Fidanza flywheel, I decided to try using their version of the replacement single-mass flywheel designed to work specifically with their clutch. My vehicle had 129,000 miles on the original clutch and flywheel and it was starting to slip a bit. I'm an older driver so my "clutch-dumping" days are behind me but I like the feel of a responsive clutch/gearbox so decided to give the conversion a try.

The only issues with installation were that my mechanic found that the M10 X 1.25 45mm long bolts supplied by SPEC were too short for the install as the would only tighten about 3 thread turns into the crank. I actually ended up calling SPEC directly and their guy told me that 45 mm was the length that their engineers specified for that kit. My mechanic felt that 50 mm would be more appropriate and he was convinced that they must've shipped the 45 mm's in error. I was able to get him a set of 50 mm bolts yesterday, which worked out great. Very little time behind the wheel but so far i like it. More responsive than before. Just need to tackle that poor throttle response next.
Hi,
I received the spec 2 clutch kit, which I advise against(not a smooth take off with the brass material). Ive also been experiencing a grinding sound in my clutch after only 600 miles of installing, anybody experienced this?
Further I had same issue with bolts. Do you mind telling me what sellers you purchased your parts. I bought mine from ultrarev
Old 05-23-15, 06:07 PM
drtag
Driver School Candidate

Bought the Stage 1 clutch from Ultrarev and actually bought the SPEC SL25A aluminum flywheel from Innovative Performance (best price). Spoke to Jeremy at SPEC once I discovered the issue with the bolts. May want to call him at customer support to let him know if you're having a bolt issue but if you're not using a SPEC flywheel don't know if he can help.

I am getting a buzzing sound when accelerating with RPM less than 2000 which goes away once rpm hit about 2200, Can't lug this setup at low rpm like you could with the dual-mass flywheel.
I think the "buzz" may be some vibration at low RPM from the sprung clutch disc. Could be wrong. Thoughts anyone?
Old 10-20-17, 06:46 PM
2jayzgte
Driver School Candidate

Just bought an 06 is250 mt, 69k miles, transmission is a little grindy, does anyone know if the transmission is covered under tsb still?

Quick Reply: IS250 MT: Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel and Spec Stage 2 Clutch Review