Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

M2 Axle-back

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-12, 02:35 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kitty2IS
I guess it's a hit or miss . . some members say fitment was spot on, while others seem to have bad fitment.

My question is: since these M2 exhausts are all manufactured the same, how can there be differences in terms of fitment?
The piping and everything is good, just the angles of the hangars may need to be tweaked a little. I only had to bend one about 1/2" to get mine to line up perfectly. I've had it on for about a week now, and it sounds wonderful. Deep and fairly quiet. It's loudest in the cabin between 2500-3000 rpm though which is where I'm usually at on the highway. Not terribly loud or anything, but the sound is present. For the money, I'm convinced this is the best deal for the IS.
Old 02-15-12, 02:45 PM
stasis3131
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kyoso23
The piping and everything is good, just the angles of the hangars may need to be tweaked a little. I only had to bend one about 1/2" to get mine to line up perfectly. I've had it on for about a week now, and it sounds wonderful. Deep and fairly quiet. It's loudest in the cabin between 2500-3000 rpm though which is where I'm usually at on the highway. Not terribly loud or anything, but the sound is present. For the money, I'm convinced this is the best deal for the IS.
I am glad you said it. Some people make you think the piping or something is messed up with the m2 when it's really just the hangers. I had to bend mine about 1/2 inch also on the left. Fits like a glove now. And for 180 bucks shipped to the door I can't complain at all
Old 02-17-12, 03:04 PM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My brother bought this exhaust and got the wrong exhaust. He is trying to contact the ebay seller and it has become so much of a hassle. Seems like no one else had this problem! Must have been bad luck or something...
Old 02-17-12, 03:45 PM
shortbus19
Pole Position

someone who has this needs to make some worth a darn videos including interior ones when driving.
Old 02-18-12, 04:44 PM
01ES300NYC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the weather's nice i'll take some vids tomorrow. its raining right now. installed my m2 a week ago. local muffler shop charged me $60 to install the exhaust, adjust the hangers and replace the large resonator with straight pipe...might be too loud for some but i'm loving it!!!

Old 02-21-12, 04:46 PM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

I recorded the sound of this exhaust in the garage so you guys can hear it more clearly
It is also recorded with my iphone4 so yeah. I listened to it on my Bose sound system on my computer and it sounds about 90% correct.
When I took it to tommys for installation, he had quite a hard time, maybe because my car is pretty old (06)
He eventually got it up and running.
It looks nice but I have something to say. The fitment is either a hit or miss. Sadly mine was a miss. Although all of the m2's will be lower on the left side, which requires you to bend the hangers, my left side was about 1/5th of an inch deeper than the one on the right.
Basically it stops at the bumper and my right side comes out just a tinny bit. You cannot tell just by looking at it but if you look at it closely, you'll see it.
I am barely breaking in my exhaust so it has a smell right now, but the sound is great.
I personally do not like the sound when I am driving because it sounds really loudl when you are inside the car, but it sounds lovely outside.
Best bang for the buck
Old 02-22-12, 01:58 PM
shortbus19
Pole Position

Thanks for the info. Any recording of the sound while INSIDE the car and driving? That seems to be the one recording we are all looking for.

Originally Posted by PlacidBoi
I recorded the sound of this exhaust in the garage so you guys can hear it more clearly
It is also recorded with my iphone4 so yeah. I listened to it on my Bose sound system on my computer and it sounds about 90% correct.
When I took it to tommys for installation, he had quite a hard time, maybe because my car is pretty old (06)
He eventually got it up and running.
It looks nice but I have something to say. The fitment is either a hit or miss. Sadly mine was a miss. Although all of the m2's will be lower on the left side, which requires you to bend the hangers, my left side was about 1/5th of an inch deeper than the one on the right.
Basically it stops at the bumper and my right side comes out just a tinny bit. You cannot tell just by looking at it but if you look at it closely, you'll see it.
I am barely breaking in my exhaust so it has a smell right now, but the sound is great.
I personally do not like the sound when I am driving because it sounds really loudl when you are inside the car, but it sounds lovely outside.
Best bang for the buck
Old 02-22-12, 01:59 PM
shortbus19
Pole Position

The weather clear up? Any vids?

Originally Posted by 01ES300NYC
if the weather's nice i'll take some vids tomorrow. its raining right now. installed my m2 a week ago. local muffler shop charged me $60 to install the exhaust, adjust the hangers and replace the large resonator with straight pipe...might be too loud for some but i'm loving it!!!

Old 02-22-12, 03:17 PM
Uda880
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its pretty hard to get a good reading on internal volume as most phone and camera microphones don't pick up the range necessary to convey the bass-like tone that the exhausts emit on the freeway, which would consist of "drone".

What I experienced is, if you even have a minimal amount of music on, you won't notice the drone. However, it is present. Anecdotally, it would not be an issue on the "non-auto-enthusiast girlfriend annoyance meter".
Old 02-23-12, 09:18 AM
shortbus19
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Uda880
Its pretty hard to get a good reading on internal volume as most phone and camera microphones don't pick up the range necessary to convey the bass-like tone that the exhausts emit on the freeway, which would consist of "drone".

What I experienced is, if you even have a minimal amount of music on, you won't notice the drone. However, it is present. Anecdotally, it would not be an issue on the "non-auto-enthusiast girlfriend annoyance meter".
Good info, thanks! What about on the "non-enthusiast wife annoyance meter"?
Old 02-23-12, 09:57 AM
Uda880
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by shortbus19
Good info, thanks! What about on the "non-enthusiast wife annoyance meter"?
That really depends on the length of marriage and the most recent Christmas and Valentine's Day gift.
Old 02-23-12, 12:47 PM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

Haha omg you guys are so funny
I tried to get a recording of the sound inside the car but it wasn't that great
I'll try again sometime today or tomorrow
It's mostly good for 2.5-4k rpms and after that, you'll hear stock aound
Old 02-25-12, 09:41 PM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

Here is a short clip that my friend took while inside my car.
I was only driving around the 2k-3k rpm zone and its pretty decent.
The noise drowns out and all you will hear is your intake after 4.5k rpm.
Old 02-27-12, 09:11 AM
shortbus19
Pole Position

Great vid. Thx!

Originally Posted by PlacidBoi
Here is a short clip that my friend took while inside my car.
I was only driving around the 2k-3k rpm zone and its pretty decent.
The noise drowns out and all you will hear is your intake after 4.5k rpm.
Old 02-28-12, 05:43 PM
AlexWEI
Driver School Candidate

After read this thread and many suggestions, i ordered M2 exhaust last week.
I got it this afternoon and just installed it.
I love its sound !!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: M2 Axle-back