Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Synthetic Oil - Change Interval

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-11, 10:56 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

JeffT:

Good point, if I was Turboed, I would not attempt 50K , The heat in the Turbo indeed is extreme.

Where you using 100% Synthetic when you did your 1st and 2nd Turbo Oil changes? Or was it normal Oil?

What Brand ?

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Only one exception to this rule lol. Do not go with long oil change intervals on a boosted engine! I also used to do this on my older cars and run long oil change intervals when it was NA and it was perfectly fine. On a turbo car, the oil runs through the turbo bearing cartridge and the oil gets superheated near its coking/flash point at times. The hitting the turbo cartridge can sometime get in the area of 300-400F+ or so. I was testing this theory and ran my car on 5w-40 full synthetic oil...
Old 03-10-11, 11:00 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah it was 100% synthetic. I actually use Synthetic 5w-40 Shell Rotella Turbo Diesel oil in all of my boosted cars to great success. The 40wt helps when the engine gets nice and warm to provide that extra cushion when the oil is heated to higher than NA temps. That oil is designed for extreme duty in a big turbo diesel truck towing a big load. Still, it breaks down with how hard I run my car lol
Old 03-10-11, 11:00 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I use Royal Purple engine oil and STILL change it every 3000 miles...perhaps overkill but it's piece of mind. Oh, BTW I switched over to synthetic at around 110,000 miles. I now have 125,000 miles on the clock.
The following users liked this post:
QLex300 (01-13-22)
Old 03-10-11, 11:22 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

I have plenty of piece of mind changing Valv 100% Syn oil every 50K with changing filters at every 5K and adding the new Qt....Ive done it on 6 vehicles, and 2 of them over 200K.

I completely understand the uneasiness of that idea, since we are all educated on the 3000 thing....but whats funny is now many car mfgrs are saying 5000-7000 is perfectly fine with normal oil, and now you even have a few saying 10,000 to 12,000.

So...what gives? I think the 3000 thing was something the oil companies pushed in the 60's-90's to sell more oil...oh, and American V8's in the 60's-80's didnt have the best of tolerances....so probably best to change oil more often on those older engines.

Im really liking all the comments and views. Keep em coming in.

Anyone else ever run an engine to 250K miles (and still running) only changing Oil every 50K ?

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
I use Royal Purple engine oil and STILL change it every 3000 miles...perhaps overkill but it's piece of mind. Oh, BTW I switched over to synthetic at around 110,000 miles. I now have 125,000 miles on the clock.
Old 03-10-11, 01:43 PM
RLGS300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been using Castrol GTX not syntec 5w-30 since the car was new and do a change every 3k sometimes earlier never later. I guess the synthetic oil never grew on me however on my newer cars Mobil 1 5w-30 or 0w-30 is all they see. Has anyone Here tried the Bosch DIRT filters, they are the most expensive that i have seen out there, is it worth paying the price for it, because what I have been running on my GS are Group 7 filters V241???
Old 03-10-11, 02:58 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by az-dave
So...what gives? I think the 3000 thing was something the oil companies pushed in the 60's-90's to sell more oil...oh, and American V8's in the 60's-80's didnt have the best of tolerances....so probably best to change oil more often on those older engines.
You gave the engine makers credit, but you should actually give the Oil companies equal credit as well instead of disparaging them.

Oil Fluid chemical technology has improved same as any other technology.

That probably is the biggest change. Stick some preserved oil from 1960s in your modern car and it won't perform well at all. Stick some modern oil in your old car (to some degree, you may require special oil if it's truly a classic) and it'll run quite well.
Old 03-10-11, 03:19 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

True True, but by using Synthetic, and having described that Syn Oil has a slightly different molecular make-up, in that the oil molecules are smaller, and all of uniform size, I did give Syn oil some credit...but I agree, the Quality of Petrol Oils, and the additives are far superior today than in the 60's.

Im still trying to figure out why people would change oil at no more than 3000 miles...even standard oil can easily go to 5000, and some new non-syn oils guarantee 8,000 and even 10,000.

If I have 6 engines with changes at 50,000 intervals, 2 of which have gone way over 200K and still run strong, what exactly are people going for with 3000 mi changes?

Who honestly keeps a car as long as me? My GS at almost 250K, my RX300 at 160K+ my old car at 265K, and prior to that 180K and another almost 200K (both had other issues non-engine related, the body's wore out before the engines)

So...How many people plan to keep a car past 150K? Seriously...other parts of the car literally start falling apart before the engine does...???

Originally Posted by raytseng
You gave the engine makers credit, but you should actually give the Oil companies equal credit as well instead of disparaging them.

Oil Fluid chemical technology has improved same as any other technology.

That probably is the biggest change. Stick some preserved oil from 1960s in your modern car and it won't perform well at all. Stick some modern oil in your old car (to some degree, you may require special oil if it's truly a classic) and it'll run quite well.
Old 03-10-11, 10:01 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

I love the Idea of just changing the filter but wow 50k miles...

Why not get a $25. standard analysis from Blackstone Labs to verify the condition and wear of your motor. I for one would love to see the report after 50,000 miles.

Here is a sample report...

Last edited by FrankT; 03-10-11 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-11-11, 06:24 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Well, as I see it...for my $60 for every 3,000 miles versus your $60 for every 50,000; yes, you are saving about $1,000 over my choice, during a 4yr span of driving (assuming 12K/yr). So, for $1,000 over 4yrs IMHO for me, I am fine with this. I DO NOT have the luxury if my car fails to simply...get a better and newer Lexus; and coming from my car - it would have to be replaced with something real special.

Oh, and BTW Royal Purple is 100% full synthetic; has great reviews and I love it. Your system may be working for you but you could be the minority. I bet if 100 people with the same make/model tried your system perhaps 25% IF THAT would make it to 200K+ miles on the odometer.

Me personally, for $1000 bucks I wouldn't take that chance...no need to. Perhaps I would consider extending the oil change intervals to 5000 miles or so to save some bucks while not taking any unnecessary chances...
Old 03-11-11, 07:39 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Me personally, for $1000 bucks I wouldn't take that chance...no need to. Perhaps I would consider extending the oil change intervals to 5000 miles or so to save some bucks while not taking any unnecessary chances...
especially not when the work to repair it would EASILY cost over $1000. im on mobile 1 full synthetic and i stretch mine out to about 5-6k in mileage and its normally fairly clean so i may start making a switch to 8k but not till i FINALLY send in my oil from my oil evaluation from this thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...the-gs300.html
Old 03-11-11, 11:03 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Ahhh...Finally some criticizing posts...thats more like it. :-)

FrankT: Great Idea, I may do an oil analysis, however I just changed the Oil at 248,900 mi....Id have to wait another 50K to just under 300,000 miles. Maybe I will have it tested in 10 or 15K but I drive the car little now, so it could take some time. I used to be a road warrior, now this is my second car. Still great idea. Ad for the "condition of my engine"...well, No Sludge in the Oil Pan, No Sludge under the Valve covers, compression on all cylinders at 200psi or above, and no visible wear on the Cam Shafts, Valve lifter or other parts. I raced my friends 2004 GS300 with 95K mi last year on the way to Vegas, we were a dead tie, we let off at about 125 mph. In other words, the internals of the engine are good, as indicated by its operation.

Rock-a-Lex: 3000mi...where are you coming up with that number? Not even Lexus recommends interval of 3000, in the 90's Lexus owner manual recommended 5000 mi, then they bumped it to 6000/7500, and now in 2011 Lexus and Toyota officially recommend 10,000 in between changes. 3000 mi is not based on mfgr recommendations or any scientific facts...just saying.

Sakataj: The Proof is in the puddin...Its not about me saving money per se, its about knowledge and physical proof. Its about my understanding that different types and brands of oils break down differently. Your internal combustion engine is a low-tech oil refinery of sorts. The oil is exposed to pressures, heat, and contaminants from the exposure to small amounts of exhaust that blow past the rings and escape thru the Valve train and enter the oil system. Petrol Oils are easier to "refine" and thus break-down into other compounds much easier than Synthetic Oil does, there are numerous reasons for this. Actually the Oil itself after XXXXX amt of miles is still good, its whether ot not it is carrying too many particles of contaminants, and whether or not its too mixed-up with non lubricating oil-derivative compounds that inhibit the remaining oil from lubricating.

I love the criticism, I really do, thats what this thread is about...ideas, and experiences,. The fact is...Im still driving the car and it sees 6,000 rmp daily at almost 250,000 miles...the body and chasis have more wear and tear and damage due to rain than the engine does. Im more worried the gas tank will start leaking, or the rubber body mounts are hardened and cracked, than I am about the engine thats clean and running strong.
Old 03-11-11, 12:43 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Well, the 3000 mile oil change interval is VERY old school...I realize that. This is why I think I am going to extend it to 5000 miles or so. My car is a 2000. If it were a newer lexus perhaps I would feel more comfortable at the current lexus recommendations of 6000/7500. Eventhough it is most likely wasteful and unnecessary I would think changing the oil more frequently is better for the engine than keeping it in the engine for a prolonged period of time. Even without knowledge of cars this is logical and makes sense. Are you suggesting that the car runs better with more "worn" and "broken in" oil?
Old 03-11-11, 03:07 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Yes, the 3000 is old school, mostly from the engines american cars were making in the 60s and 70's that honestly had really bad ring and bearing tolerances. I believe our manuals for 98-2000 GS300 recommend 6000, using standard oil.

With that said, I completely understand your concerns on the long intervals I say I use, in fact, I think most people must think im crazy, or that my engine inside is trashed...but...how much can I really worry when I drive the car on 500 & 600+ mile round trips several times per year, and Ive driven it from the mid 30,000 mi range until now at almost 250,000 miles...

I guess what Im saying is unless anyone really intends to drive their car as long as I drive mine...what do they really care? My car has too many miles to sell or trade in...its really only valuable to me at this point...and most people would agree, if they drive the car to 150,000 miles, they are ready for a new one...at 150,000 miles I had changed the oil only 3 times :-)

At this point my seats are showing fatigue, and other parts of the car are far more tired than the engine...the glow behind the instruments isnt as bright, and the radio lights burned out, which Ive replaced with LED's...its darned near a project car...lets see how far it will go before the doors fall off!

I honestly thought when I changed the valve cover gaskets 2 weeks go that I would find bad sludge...when I dididnt I just laughed.

Well, the 3000 mile oil change interval is VERY old school...I realize that. This is why I think I am going to extend it to 5000 miles or so. My car is a 2000. If it were a newer lexus perhaps I would feel more comfortable at the current lexus recommendations of 6000/7500. Eventhough it is most likely wasteful and unnecessary I would think changing the oil more frequently is better for the engine than keeping it in the engine for a prolonged period of time. Even without knowledge of cars this is logical and makes sense. Are you suggesting that the car runs better with more "worn" and "broken in" oil?
Old 03-11-11, 04:16 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I think az-dave is bored and he needs company, therefore, this post. lol
There is an "Oil Conversation" in the Maintenance thread if you want to check it out AZ-Dave.
Old 03-11-11, 04:32 PM
OT0814
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant even lie after reading this i am going to prolong my oil changes... I know i have been stupid and i change mine out every 3k with synthetic. I was just always scared bc of the age old 3000 mile rule. I might start stretching it to 10k now if not more.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil - Change Interval