Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Synthetic Oil - Change Interval

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-11, 05:02 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OT0814
I cant even lie after reading this i am going to prolong my oil changes... I know i have been stupid and i change mine out every 3k with synthetic. I was just always scared bc of the age old 3000 mile rule. I might start stretching it to 10k now if not more.
Waste of money there.

I'm now entering my third year of running exclusively with synthetic oil and so far I've changed the oil twice each year. Once in spring and again sometime in late fall. I still check the amount and condition of the oil here and there but more so in the summer because of the hot weather and that I tend to push the car much harder. So far I'm pleased with this and the fact that I've always been able to catch the synthetic oil and filter on sale.
The following users liked this post:
QLex300 (01-13-22)
Old 03-12-11, 11:13 AM
OT0814
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
Waste of money there.

I'm now entering my third year of running exclusively with synthetic oil and so far I've changed the oil twice each year. Once in spring and again sometime in late fall. I still check the amount and condition of the oil here and there but more so in the summer because of the hot weather and that I tend to push the car much harder. So far I'm pleased with this and the fact that I've always been able to catch the synthetic oil and filter on sale.
just wondering but how many miles you drive a year?
Old 03-12-11, 03:00 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

AZ-Dave: with the money saved doing 50k intervals (which is A LOTTT!!!) is it cool if you can get your oil checked at that one oil lab?? It will give all of us GREAT data since i think you are the one doing 50k intervals. Curious to know how the oil contains after its checked out by experts.

im at 4300 miles now and im debating if i should change it... lol
Old 03-12-11, 04:04 PM
AshburnM3
Pole Position

i change oil and filter every 5000 miles, sometimes maybe a few hundred miles over.
Old 03-13-11, 01:12 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by OT0814
just wondering but how many miles you drive a year?
Hmm... I would say between 11-12K It's rough estimate though.
Old 03-13-11, 03:01 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

at 4300 miles... my oil looks perdy clean still right?? oil drop on a white index card facing outside in the garage.
Old 03-13-11, 04:27 PM
OT0814
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
Hmm... I would say between 11-12K It's rough estimate though.
Yea i drive 20-25k a year so maybe it would put me out to changing it every 10k. Still im surprised to hear that the old 3000 mile rule isnt needed anymore. wont be wasting money on those oil changes anymore lol

Originally Posted by vwynn

at 4300 miles... my oil looks perdy clean still right?? oil drop on a white index card facing outside in the garage.
That does look pretty clean
Old 03-13-11, 05:39 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

I've been using Mobil 1 synthetic for the longest time on all my cars, recently switched to Penzoil Ultra synthetic. My personal opinion is people are definitely wasting money switching out synthetic at 3k miles, that being said according to others, I maybe wasting my money by switching it out every 5k

I just say change it out at internals you feel comfortable at, sometimes it's just that placebo effect that helps...
Old 03-14-11, 08:49 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

L-A-M-E...very Lame.

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
I think az-dave is bored and he needs company, therefore, this post. lol
There is an "Oil Conversation" in the Maintenance thread if you want to check it out AZ-Dave.
Old 03-14-11, 08:56 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would do this, however the is a problem...all my old oil is gone, and the oil in there now is 2-1/2 weeks old.

I used to drive my car about 20-25K/yr, now its a second car and may see 5K/yr...so there is a problem with having the oil analyzed with my 50K. My bad in throwing the last oil change away.

I may have a tiny amount left in the OCV Valve I replaced, but not sure how much oil these labs need to perform an accurate test. ?

Originally Posted by vwynn
AZ-Dave: with the money saved doing 50k intervals (which is A LOTTT!!!) is it cool if you can get your oil checked at that one oil lab?? It will give all of us GREAT data since i think you are the one doing 50k intervals. Curious to know how the oil contains after its checked out by experts.

im at 4300 miles now and im debating if i should change it... lol
Old 03-14-11, 10:06 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ot0814
yea i drive 20-25k a year so maybe it would put me out to changing it every 10k. Still im surprised to hear that the old 3000 mile rule isnt needed anymore. Wont be wasting money on those oil changes anymore lol

that does look pretty clean

x2............
Old 03-14-11, 10:33 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by az-dave
I would do this, however the is a problem...all my old oil is gone, and the oil in there now is 2-1/2 weeks old.

I used to drive my car about 20-25K/yr, now its a second car and may see 5K/yr...so there is a problem with having the oil analyzed with my 50K. My bad in throwing the last oil change away.

I may have a tiny amount left in the OCV Valve I replaced, but not sure how much oil these labs need to perform an accurate test. ?
hahaha i think u need more than some droplets. oh wellz it was worth a shot

after reading this thread imma just change my oil reaches like 6k... gunna do a poor mans test then .dont think i wanna leave it for 50k tho since im just **** like that haha
Old 03-14-11, 11:47 AM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by habeeb89
I've been using Mobil 1 synthetic for the longest time on all my cars, recently switched to Penzoil Ultra synthetic. My personal opinion is people are definitely wasting money switching out synthetic at 3k miles, that being said according to others, I maybe wasting my money by switching it out every 5k

I just say change it out at internals you feel comfortable at, sometimes it's just that placebo effect that helps...
How do you like the pennzoil ultra over Mobil 1? I've been wanting to make the switch for some time now.
Old 03-20-11, 09:17 AM
bacardi
Lead Lap

I feel, I've been using the best synthectic oil made and the first made. AMSOL and Amsol Absolute Oil Filter. If you do your search, you will find this to be true. You can't go wrong with AMSOL PRODUCTS. I change my oil every 5000 miles.

Last edited by bacardi; 03-20-11 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-20-11, 09:38 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by TLcoats
How do you like the pennzoil ultra over Mobil 1? I've been wanting to make the switch for some time now.
I switch between the two brands and there is nothing really to like or not to like. The car was made to run on conventional oil so as long as you're getting the proper oil change interval, the engine will be happy. You will not notice any measurable difference in performance between the two in a daily driven passenger car.

I've ran so many different oil from Pennzoil, Amsoil, Mobil 1, German Castrol, etc. They're all the same for what I do. Hell conventional oil is fine if I want my engine to last more than 350K miles. I'm stuck with synthetic oil because family members keep on buying me boxes of synthetic for Christmas.

Any difference between the oil is down to the microscopic and/or psychological level
The following users liked this post:
QLex300 (01-13-22)

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil - Change Interval