Synthetic Oil - Change Interval - Page 3 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion


Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Synthetic Oil - Change Interval

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-11-11, 06:02 PM   #31
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (14)
 
MrG4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: DE <---> NY
Posts: 3,299
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OT0814 View Post
I cant even lie after reading this i am going to prolong my oil changes... I know i have been stupid and i change mine out every 3k with synthetic. I was just always scared bc of the age old 3000 mile rule. I might start stretching it to 10k now if not more.
Waste of money there.


I'm now entering my third year of running exclusively with synthetic oil and so far I've changed the oil twice each year. Once in spring and again sometime in late fall. I still check the amount and condition of the oil here and there but more so in the summer because of the hot weather and that I tend to push the car much harder. So far I'm pleased with this and the fact that I've always been able to catch the synthetic oil and filter on sale.
MrG4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-11, 12:13 PM   #32
OT0814
Lead Lap
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 466
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG4Life View Post
Waste of money there.


I'm now entering my third year of running exclusively with synthetic oil and so far I've changed the oil twice each year. Once in spring and again sometime in late fall. I still check the amount and condition of the oil here and there but more so in the summer because of the hot weather and that I tend to push the car much harder. So far I'm pleased with this and the fact that I've always been able to catch the synthetic oil and filter on sale.
just wondering but how many miles you drive a year?
OT0814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-11, 04:00 PM   #33
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 5,776
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

AZ-Dave: with the money saved doing 50k intervals (which is A LOTTT!!!) is it cool if you can get your oil checked at that one oil lab?? It will give all of us GREAT data since i think you are the one doing 50k intervals. Curious to know how the oil contains after its checked out by experts.

im at 4300 miles now and im debating if i should change it... lol
vwynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-11, 05:04 PM   #34
AshburnM3
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 235
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

i change oil and filter every 5000 miles, sometimes maybe a few hundred miles over.
AshburnM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-11, 02:12 PM   #35
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (14)
 
MrG4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: DE <---> NY
Posts: 3,299
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OT0814 View Post
just wondering but how many miles you drive a year?
Hmm... I would say between 11-12K It's rough estimate though.
MrG4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-11, 04:01 PM   #36
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 5,776
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default



at 4300 miles... my oil looks perdy clean still right?? oil drop on a white index card facing outside in the garage.
vwynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-11, 05:27 PM   #37
OT0814
Lead Lap
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 466
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG4Life View Post
Hmm... I would say between 11-12K It's rough estimate though.
Yea i drive 20-25k a year so maybe it would put me out to changing it every 10k. Still im surprised to hear that the old 3000 mile rule isnt needed anymore. wont be wasting money on those oil changes anymore lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwynn View Post


at 4300 miles... my oil looks perdy clean still right?? oil drop on a white index card facing outside in the garage.
That does look pretty clean
OT0814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-11, 06:39 PM   #38
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver
iTrader: (3)
 
habeeb89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: IL
Posts: 1,501
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I've been using Mobil 1 synthetic for the longest time on all my cars, recently switched to Penzoil Ultra synthetic. My personal opinion is people are definitely wasting money switching out synthetic at 3k miles, that being said according to others, I maybe wasting my money by switching it out every 5k

I just say change it out at internals you feel comfortable at, sometimes it's just that placebo effect that helps...
habeeb89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 09:49 AM   #39
az-dave
Lead Lap
Thread Starter
 
az-dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AZ
Posts: 410
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default



L-A-M-E...very Lame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend View Post
I think az-dave is bored and he needs company, therefore, this post. lol
There is an "Oil Conversation" in the Maintenance thread if you want to check it out AZ-Dave.
az-dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 09:56 AM   #40
az-dave
Lead Lap
Thread Starter
 
az-dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AZ
Posts: 410
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I would do this, however the is a problem...all my old oil is gone, and the oil in there now is 2-1/2 weeks old.

I used to drive my car about 20-25K/yr, now its a second car and may see 5K/yr...so there is a problem with having the oil analyzed with my 50K. My bad in throwing the last oil change away.

I may have a tiny amount left in the OCV Valve I replaced, but not sure how much oil these labs need to perform an accurate test. ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwynn View Post
AZ-Dave: with the money saved doing 50k intervals (which is A LOTTT!!!) is it cool if you can get your oil checked at that one oil lab?? It will give all of us GREAT data since i think you are the one doing 50k intervals. Curious to know how the oil contains after its checked out by experts.

im at 4300 miles now and im debating if i should change it... lol
az-dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 11:06 AM   #41
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (14)
 
MrG4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: DE <---> NY
Posts: 3,299
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ot0814 View Post
yea i drive 20-25k a year so maybe it would put me out to changing it every 10k. Still im surprised to hear that the old 3000 mile rule isnt needed anymore. Wont be wasting money on those oil changes anymore lol



that does look pretty clean

x2............
MrG4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 11:33 AM   #42
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 5,776
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by az-dave View Post
I would do this, however the is a problem...all my old oil is gone, and the oil in there now is 2-1/2 weeks old.

I used to drive my car about 20-25K/yr, now its a second car and may see 5K/yr...so there is a problem with having the oil analyzed with my 50K. My bad in throwing the last oil change away.

I may have a tiny amount left in the OCV Valve I replaced, but not sure how much oil these labs need to perform an accurate test. ?
hahaha i think u need more than some droplets. oh wellz it was worth a shot

after reading this thread imma just change my oil reaches like 6k... gunna do a poor mans test then .dont think i wanna leave it for 50k tho since im just **** like that haha
vwynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 12:47 PM   #43
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver
iTrader: (11)
 
TLcoats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 1,451
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by habeeb89 View Post
I've been using Mobil 1 synthetic for the longest time on all my cars, recently switched to Penzoil Ultra synthetic. My personal opinion is people are definitely wasting money switching out synthetic at 3k miles, that being said according to others, I maybe wasting my money by switching it out every 5k

I just say change it out at internals you feel comfortable at, sometimes it's just that placebo effect that helps...
How do you like the pennzoil ultra over Mobil 1? I've been wanting to make the switch for some time now.
TLcoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 10:17 AM   #44
bacardi
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 698
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I feel, I've been using the best synthectic oil made and the first made. AMSOL and Amsol Absolute Oil Filter. If you do your search, you will find this to be true. You can't go wrong with AMSOL PRODUCTS. I change my oil every 5000 miles.

Last edited by bacardi; 03-20-11 at 10:21 AM.
bacardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 10:38 AM   #45
GSteg
Rookie
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 15,949
Thanks: 0
Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLcoats View Post
How do you like the pennzoil ultra over Mobil 1? I've been wanting to make the switch for some time now.
I switch between the two brands and there is nothing really to like or not to like. The car was made to run on conventional oil so as long as you're getting the proper oil change interval, the engine will be happy. You will not notice any measurable difference in performance between the two in a daily driven passenger car.

I've ran so many different oil from Pennzoil, Amsoil, Mobil 1, German Castrol, etc. They're all the same for what I do. Hell conventional oil is fine if I want my engine to last more than 350K miles. I'm stuck with synthetic oil because family members keep on buying me boxes of synthetic for Christmas.

Any difference between the oil is down to the microscopic and/or psychological level
GSteg is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
synthetic oil Edgardo73 LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) 17 07-31-17 09:52 AM
P0012 help!!!! UNOCAM IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) 0 03-15-17 10:16 AM
2003 RX300, 3 weeks of trouble, need some help singleslam RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) 13 11-14-16 07:33 AM
1997-2001 ES300 Engine Sludge Problem DallasLex ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) 12 06-09-16 12:57 AM
Facts about oil and what grade to choose RgSc Performance & Maintenance 39 04-21-16 06:09 PM


Tags
2004 , 2008 , 300 , 30000 , car , change , changing , es350 , gs , interval , is250 , lexus , miles , oil , synthetic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:33 AM.


Copyright © 2000-2017 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: