Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ECU "re-learning" after K&N FIPK install?

Old 01-04-11, 10:47 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ECU "re-learning" after K&N FIPK install?

Hey all,

I spent the last 2 hours reading up on K&N and ECU search terms.

I recently installed the K&N FIPK (getting a dry filter soon). I'm getting a CEL and have reset the ECU via pulling ECU-B 20A fuse and removing the negative battery cable and waited for at least an hour before reconnecting. I did not do both at the same time. Am I supposed to?

Here's a list of what I've double and triple checked. 1) All 3 vacuum hoses are installed correctly and tightly secured on both ends 2) MAF is facing correct way 3) MAF and throttle body were cleaned prior to install 4) K&N oil filter was not over-oiled 5) Air filter is secured tightly and coupler at throttle body too

My car idles normal, drives normal, and feels normal. Is the CEL on because the ECU has not learned and compensated yet for the added air flow from the new intake? Will the CEL go away once it does? Should there be need for concern if it's driving normal? I haven't pulled the code yet as I'm searching to see if any of my friends might have an OBDII scanner. I just hope I'm not running lean and the ECU fails to correct that with added fuel. Any advice would be great!
Old 01-04-11, 10:53 PM
Jrezo
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How was the maf cleaned and did you check the wires for pinch or cuts?
Old 01-04-11, 11:25 PM
sleeper408

Originally Posted by Jrezo
How was the maf cleaned and did you check the wires for pinch or cuts?
MAF was cleaned with CRC MAF sensor cleaner. The MAF wire harness should be fine. When I removed the plastic clip for it from the stock airbox assembly, I was sure to be gentle and it's been virtually untouched. When I replugged the MAF wire harness into the MAF after everything was installed, it clipped securely and is not touching or rubbing anything and shouldn't have any pinches or cuts.

This just baffles me because when I was searching for threads with other members who had problems after the K&N FIPK install, I found that a lot were related to improper connection of vacuum hoses, loose vaccum hoses, not resetting ECU or disconnecting negative battery cable, dirty MAF or throttle body, failed o2 sensors, etc.

I did research before installing the intake system to make sure I do it right the first time and don't know why I'm still getting the CEL.

Last edited by sleeper408; 01-04-11 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-04-11, 11:35 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same intake and i didnt get any CEL after i installed mine. Get the codes pulled and see what they say.
Old 01-04-11, 11:56 PM
sleeper408

Originally Posted by TLcoats
I have the same intake and i didnt get any CEL after i installed mine. Get the codes pulled and see what they say.
Crap. Looks like I might have to just go ahead and buy an OBDII code scanner tomorrow.
Old 01-04-11, 11:59 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sleeper408
Crap. Looks like I might have to just go ahead and buy an OBDII code scanner tomorrow.
Now you got one for future use. Most likely it's a vaccum hose loose or broken. Best of luck to you man. If you take it to a meineke, discount tire, or pepboys i'm pretty sure they scan it for free.
Old 01-05-11, 12:15 AM
Jrezo
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, they can't scan at parts resellers anymore. Meineke might but they want biz
Old 01-05-11, 08:24 AM
sleeper408

OK, pulled the code and came up with P0171.
Old 01-05-11, 08:26 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Ah the infamous lean code. Not sure what's going on with your car, but I've had the K&N intake on my car on two occassions and never had a CEL. Is the gasket between the MAF and the intake pipe there? Check for leaks around that area.
Old 01-05-11, 08:41 AM
sleeper408

Originally Posted by GSteg
Ah the infamous lean code. Not sure what's going on with your car, but I've had the K&N intake on my car on two occassions and never had a CEL. Is the gasket between the MAF and the intake pipe there? Check for leaks around that area.
I will double check that seal. It's so weird. I was looking up P0171 and there are sooooo many things it could possibly be. I'm hoping someone else who also installed a K&N FIPK then got a P0171, then fixed it will chime in. I'm hoping to narrow it down to a simple fix.
Old 01-05-11, 09:31 AM
sleeper408

I checked the seal of the gasket on the MAF and it's tight. I'm really thinking it has to be a MAF issue or vacuum hoses. Then again, I tripled checked the hoses and they are secured and in good condition with no cracks or anything. My car idles fine so it may not be the vacuum hoses. I have an extra MAF at home that I will swap and see how that goes.
Old 01-05-11, 10:27 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had that issue when i installed an intake in my GS and it ended up being a faulty vacuum hose.
Old 01-05-11, 10:56 AM
sleeper408

Originally Posted by Infamous 1
I had that issue when i installed an intake in my GS and it ended up being a faulty vacuum hose.
I swear the hoses are in good condition, but I will remove all of them and do a very close inspection tonight. Did you purchase the new vacuum hose at a PepBoys, Kragen, Autozone, etc?

I saw the laundry list of P0171 and potential things to replace, but I am almost certain it's either the MAF or vacuum hose.
Old 01-05-11, 11:05 AM
sleeper408

Originally Posted by Infamous 1
When you had that faulty vacuum hose, did the car exhibit any strange symptoms, like sporadic idle or anything?
Old 01-05-11, 11:24 AM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

I'm willing to bet it is the MAF. If you checked all the vaccuum hoses and they all look good then that's not the problem. The CRC MAF cleaner says it's safe on MAF sensors but on the bottle it says not to use it on toyota cars. I still use it but you just gotta be careful with it because MAF sensors are like jealous GF's. It only takes a little bit to make them angry.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ECU "re-learning" after K&N FIPK install?