Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ECU "re-learning" after K&N FIPK install?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-11, 06:35 PM
jmahes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok since i am having the same issue with the same car and same intake i will work with my neighbor who is a mechanic. He says its most likely cause i have a vacumn leak somewhere. He will do the soapy water spray bottle thing and i will let you know the outcome.
Old 01-08-11, 04:27 PM
jmahes
Driver School Candidate

so i reset the engine light and drove 70 miles so far light has not came back. A number of people said because i didnt disconnect the battery terminal thats why i came on, so i will keep driving see if it comes back on.
Old 01-10-11, 09:02 PM
7MGTEPOWA
Rookie

an intake does not increase air flow at all!! .. its a very complicated subject but i will tell you the gist of it!! almost all stock cars are adjusted to a rich fuel setting for warranty and long life expectancy...when u add an intake such as k&n and srt etc etc.. you actullay lean the mixture causing the car to gain a few more hp by tricking the ecu that there is less air coming in, thus cutting back the fuel....an intake tricks the ecu and maf . an intake does not let in more air but actually less... giving some cars the error codes especially on highly monitored cars. the maf is reading less air and the ecu does too .. its supposed to respond by leaning out fuel... i personaly stay away from air intakes.. since it leans your mixture and puts your car in danger.. the advantages are not worth the risks...i just used the drop in k&n ..
Old 01-10-11, 10:52 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 7MGTEPOWA
an intake does not increase air flow at all!! .. its a very complicated subject but i will tell you the gist of it!! almost all stock cars are adjusted to a rich fuel setting for warranty and long life expectancy...when u add an intake such as k&n and srt etc etc.. you actullay lean the mixture causing the car to gain a few more hp by tricking the ecu that there is less air coming in, thus cutting back the fuel....an intake tricks the ecu and maf . an intake does not let in more air but actually less... giving some cars the error codes especially on highly monitored cars. the maf is reading less air and the ecu does too .. its supposed to respond by leaning out fuel... i personaly stay away from air intakes.. since it leans your mixture and puts your car in danger.. the advantages are not worth the risks...i just used the drop in k&n ..
I'm confused...so a lean mixture now gives you MORE HP?
Did I miss the memo?
Old 01-10-11, 11:13 PM
7MGTEPOWA
Rookie

Originally Posted by fordsvtmfl
I'm confused...so a lean mixture now gives you MORE HP?
Did I miss the memo?
yeah if you dont know this its sad.....catch up on some basics on how engines work.. a richer engine mixture will have less hp than a slightly leaner mixture.... intake manufacturers know that most cars out there are set at a coservatively rich mixture...the intakes reduce air flow > then the ecu registers less air entering the engine> ecu cuts back fuel mixture = slightly more hp..
Old 01-11-11, 11:15 AM
fastryan
Driver

Originally Posted by 7MGTEPOWA
with a larger intake pipe and less of it (than stock), added to a higher flowing filter, how is the result "less air flow than stock". i know where you coming from with the lean condition being monitored and adjusted, but the explain doesnt make sense. my fix was a replaced fuel filter. light never came back.
Old 01-22-11, 08:45 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, so I got around re-installing the K&N FIPK but with my MAF this time. I swapped out the one the seller provided me. Again, I did triple checks of everything. After having the negative battery cable off for about 2 hours, I drove about 80 miles and no CEL. Well, the CEL came back on and this time it gave me 2 codes; P0171 and P0171 pd. I don't know what the "pd" symbol after the code means. Anybody know? I erased the codes twice tonight with my OBDII reader and the CEL keeps coming back on.
Old 01-25-11, 09:19 AM
fastryan
Driver

so did you ever try the fuel filter like i said ? its only 60 bucks........like i said before, i tried everything. its not a vacuum leak, its not electrical.. also, somthing i forgot was that on these cars, the front two injectors get REALLY dirty. clean and inspect. fuel filter first!
Old 01-25-11, 04:42 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fastryan
so did you ever try the fuel filter like i said ? its only 60 bucks........like i said before, i tried everything. its not a vacuum leak, its not electrical.. also, somthing i forgot was that on these cars, the front two injectors get REALLY dirty. clean and inspect. fuel filter first!
I didn't. This K&N intake is driving me nuts! OK, so yesterday, I pulled the ECU fuse to reset the ECU, I plugged it back in. I started the car and CEL was still on, but after I drove about 3 miles, then the CEL turned off and has stayed off since. Weird. *sigh* I will probably move on to inspect other parts like you said if it comes back on.
Old 01-25-11, 10:58 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by fastryan
with a larger intake pipe and less of it (than stock), added to a higher flowing filter, how is the result "less air flow than stock". i know where you coming from with the lean condition being monitored and adjusted, but the explain doesnt make sense. my fix was a replaced fuel filter. light never came back.
The MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor is an element that reads the amount of air flow based on the velocity of the air.
The velocity is a function of engine demand vs pipe diameter.
When this same ELEMENT is installed in a LARGER pipe the effect is the element "see's" less air flow since the flow velocity drops for a given amount of air mass flowing in the now larger tube.
The ECU assumes less air flow based on this measurement and reduces fuel flow.
Of course the air flow did not drop so less fuel with the same air flow creates a leaner mixture.
Combine this with less fuel pressure due to a dirty fuel filter and the lean condition becomes even leaner and triggers the ECU.
Old 02-01-11, 12:43 PM
fastryan
Driver

Thumbs up

that makes complete sense now. ^^^^^ larger dia. pipe = lower velocity read by the m.a.f.= lean condition