Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Is a 2JZ-GTE swap truly worth it? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-10, 10:59 AM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not the VVTI GE motor ,the pistons and rods are only good for 450 RWHP at best. I went GTE for a few reasons, better resale value, it's hard to sell a car with a GE motor. I like having the oil feeds on the turbo side, and I like the GT intake manifold. Not to mention the GTE is much cleaner looking.
Old 12-21-10, 11:05 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ED alot of the guys don't understand, of of the guys even started bashing me lol on this thread i guess maybe because i don't post in the GS section that much i will say this again 8.5.1 is old technology maybe 1990.

Check my sig for the new setup, i always wanna try something new 10.5.1 C.R and 30lbs.
I will post the results.

Adam i understand where you are coming from, i still can't justify spending 1800 -2000 on a used engine and then i might end up having to rebuild it.
I refuse to do that, we are all different you might thinking what i said doesn't make any sense.

Last edited by 99SC42; 12-21-10 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-21-10, 01:22 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

yeah you're right, so much mis information, especially in your own post.
Old 12-21-10, 01:29 PM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know about 10.5:1 compression, Darin is my tuner and he had the 2JZGTE Supra 6 speed record for over 2 years with low 8's @ 170+. He doesn't run 10.5:1, he told me to buy 9:1 pistons for more low end on the street however the cars making 1200RWHP+ are all sub 9:1 compression.
Old 12-21-10, 01:31 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Originally Posted by Bippu147
yeah you're right, so much mis information, especially in your own post.
Like what? what's the wrong info in his post i would like to know and i am sure alot of other would like to know aswell.
Can you please elaborate?
Old 12-21-10, 01:57 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

read my previous posts in this thread, I'm sick of saying the same thing over and over.

The GE that comes in our cars (VVTi) is not capable of high reliable hp.

bottom line is, it doesn't matter how sweet your GE setup runs...it's proven time and time again that the GTE is more capable of big power and more reliable than a boosted GE. You can run 800whp in a stock GTE vs having to crack the factory seal and rebuild a GE to handle power reliably.
Old 12-21-10, 02:09 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

read my previous posts in this thread, I'm sick of saying the same thing over and over.

bottom line is, it doesn't matter how sweet your GE setup runs...it's proven time and time again that the GTE is more capable of big power and more reliable than a boosted GE. You can run 800whp in a stock GTE vs having to crack the factory seal and rebuild a GE to handle power reliably.
wrong info

vvti can be just fine just swap rods pistons are made the same as non vvti and gte , they are made using same material..why would a gte be more capable of say 750 rwhp then a boosted ge .. answer me that .. both at that level requires the same fueling , same timing so tell me please whaqt is different ...why would you need to build a ge , cracking open only means swapping hg .. i never changed any pistons , rods or bearings

do what you wish but i have seen more blown gte setups than na-t setups when tuned properly...i cant see buying a used gte to only have to rebuild it anyways
Old 12-21-10, 02:24 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by adamgamz
I don't know about 10.5:1 compression, Darin is my tuner and he had the 2JZGTE Supra 6 speed record for over 2 years with low 8's @ 170+. He doesn't run 10.5:1, he told me to buy 9:1 pistons for more low end on the street however the cars making 1200RWHP+ are all sub 9:1 compression.
not entirely correct.. 8:5:1 is great for boost but you have to give up some off boost driving as well as spool and need to run abit more boost then one should given the control and knowledge good tuners like alpha and darin have... that low compression is a thing of the past due to the quality of fuel back in the early 90's etc.. with full timing and fuel control theres no reason to be running such low compression... look at the 996tt porsche, they are running 9:4:1 compression from factory with boost logic and titan and few other notable tuners running them up into the 750 range without lowering compression, i wonder why...

on my setup at 19psi making 592 rwhp we saw zero , i mean zero knock anywhere during any pull.. i love the fact that it would do a easy 700rwhp on 110 oct at no more than 25psi tops.. i dont see any gte on a t67 doing that....

in fact the supra that ran 246mph making around 1300rwhp is in fact running a built ge block at 9:8:1 compression, dave h is making 1100rwhp at a tad over 10:0:1 compression

its all about tuning and proper supporting mods
Old 12-21-10, 02:42 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Dude why are taking it so serious? it's not that serious!

bottom line is, it doesn't matter how sweet your GE setup runs...it's proven time and time again that the GTE is more capable of big power and more reliable than a boosted GE. You can run 800whp in a stock GTE vs having to crack the factory seal and rebuild a GE to handle power reliably.[/QUOTE]

^That's not thru my friend but believe what you want, i don't believe and lot of other members know that your post is BS.
Old 12-21-10, 05:07 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexforlife
wrong info

vvti can be just fine just swap rods pistons are made the same as non vvti and gte , they are made using same material..why would a gte be more capable of say 750 rwhp then a boosted ge .. answer me that .. both at that level requires the same fueling , same timing so tell me please whaqt is different ...why would you need to build a ge , cracking open only means swapping hg .. i never changed any pistons , rods or bearings

do what you wish but i have seen more blown gte setups than na-t setups when tuned properly...i cant see buying a used gte to only have to rebuild it anyways
Actually, you have the wrong info.

You have obviously never pulled a VVTi GE apart. They do not have the same rods and pistons as the non VVTi GE. VVTi GE's are ELEV engines, as stated prior.

GTE's also have oil squirters.
Old 12-21-10, 05:15 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by quickGS300
Dude why are taking it so serious? it's not that serious!

^That's not thru my friend but believe what you want, i don't believe and lot of other members know that your post is BS.
Are you on crack? All of you hackjobs that run GE setups run your cars for 3 or 4 years before you change setups. How can you even compare an NA-T setup to GTE engines that have been running factory sealed since 1991.

Our One Lap Supra has ran on the same GTE engine for 15 years daily driven, raced in One lap of America for 6 of those 15 years @ over 650whp. I'd like to see an NA-T do that.
Old 12-21-10, 05:16 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

lexforlife, please go back and read the early pages in this thread.
Old 12-21-10, 07:16 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Actually, you have the wrong info.

You have obviously never pulled a VVTi GE apart. They do not have the same rods and pistons as the non VVTi GE. VVTi GE's are ELEV engines, as stated prior.

GTE's also have oil squirters.
i did say rods were different didnt i piston design is just about the same vvti vs non vvti they are made out of the same material

theres nothing to reread as i have actually torn into these motors..

we can agree to disagree for i for one have a very potent na-t setup made just as stout as any gte so your replies are pointless for either route works just the same , just different approaches
Old 12-21-10, 08:55 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

you're wrong. VVTi GE's and non VVTi GE's are completely different.

ELEV engines are definitely not comparable in terms of reliability to the GTE.

Paper thin ringlands, dinky rods, no oil squirters on the pistons, smaller coolant jackets in the head, high compression, thinner head gasket + boost = just as reliable as GTE? I think not.

It's designed to be NA, if it was just as good in terms of reliability why would Toyota use a different setup on the GTE?

This is not opinion..it's fact.

Unless of course you're saying that Toyota's engineers are wrong? They could have saved millions of dollars on R&D if they had your insight....

Your NA-T setup is not stout like any GTE. Run for 6 years straight in One Lap of America driving the car down from Canada to ALL of the US race tracks, finish top 10 everytime and then talk to me about reliability. Your NA-T wouldn't be able to handle a tenth of the abuse that I put GTE's through day in and day out.
Old 12-21-10, 09:54 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets see here. 2jz-GE comes stock from the factory naturally aspirated right? And a 2jz-GTE comes stock from the factory with twin turbos boosted. It's easy to say a GTE is a much better setup for boost since it comes boosted from the factory!

Quick Reply: Is a 2JZ-GTE swap truly worth it? Your thoughts are appreciated.