Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

99 GS300 aristo swap, throttle auto shutting down??? Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-12, 10:00 PM
twoloose
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 GS300 aristo swap, throttle auto shutting down??? Help

Hey guys I need some help...

I've got a 99 GS300 w/aristo swap, AEM V2, running the aristo trans controlled by the aristo ecu not the AEM. Running a 62mm turbo, 650cc injectors, 340 aeromotive fuel pump, 50mm tial bov, tial 44 wastegate, 3in exhaust etc.... SO whats going on is when I leave from a stop, 1st gear the throttle position goes to 98%, 2nd gear it drops to 48% even though the pedal is on the floor all the way, 3rd gear it drops into the 30% range, and so on....If I'm cruising and stomp it, it downshifts and is good in the first gear it down shift to... Lets say it downshift to 2nd, throttle will be 98% then as soon as it shift into 3rd the throttle drops in half even though I'm keeping the pedal on the floor...We do have the HKS SLD installed and that works fine. I do have the HKS FCD but it wasn't originally installed when we did the swap, we tried putting it in over the weekend but could find a clear wiring diagram so not positive of it being in correctly or not but so far it made no difference. Could the FCD be the problem? After joining here I found a clear FCD install diagram so we'll recheck it this week....Any ideas what could be the problem?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29886951@N04/8111500552/http://www.flickr.com/photos/29886951@N04/8111500552/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/29886951@N04/, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29886951@N04/8111494929/http://www.flickr.com/photos/29886951@N04/8111494929/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/29886951@N04/, on Flickr
Old 10-21-12, 10:36 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by twoloose
I do have the HKS FCD but it wasn't originally installed when we did the swap, we tried putting it in over the weekend but could find a clear wiring diagram so not positive of it being in correctly or not but so far it made no difference. Could the FCD be the problem?
..........instead of asking us, couldn't you just unplug the FCD and see if it fixes the issue, then you would know for sure if it was the HKS fuel cut
Old 10-21-12, 11:26 PM
twoloose
Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj
..........instead of asking us, couldn't you just unplug the FCD and see if it fixes the issue, then you would know for sure if it was the HKS fuel cut
The FCD was not on the car when we finished it, we've been having the problem the whole time without the FCD. This weekend we installed the FCD and it didn't fix anything but we were not 100% about the FCD being installed correctly...Looking for help from someone with a big single aristo swap!!
Old 10-22-12, 12:07 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

The FCD was not on the car when we finished it, we've been having the problem the whole time without the FCD. This weekend we installed the FCD and it didn't fix anything but we were not 100% about the FCD being installed correctly...Looking for help from someone with a big single aristo swap!!
ahhhh i understand now.....it wasnt clear to me that the car was doing this all the time. i read and re-read your post before posting that and thought you meant the car was running fine till lately....

i very rarely ever post on peoples threads when it comes to a gs300 motor or a 2jz swap as they are fairly foreign to me.....guess this was another thread i should have just read and not posted on like i normally do when they deal with the gs300's motor

good luck, it doesnt seem like you have had alot of luck with this car though even from the beginning. did u try jeff tsai?
Old 10-22-12, 09:08 AM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

Hey did you take the fcd off the harness i sent you becuase it is already wired up correct.
Old 10-22-12, 10:41 AM
twoloose
Driver

Originally Posted by japspec
Hey did you take the fcd off the harness i sent you becuase it is already wired up correct.
Yeah it got taken out, my shop didn't think we needed it since we went full standalone...
Old 10-22-12, 11:26 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm no expert, but I'll throw my .02 in.

First, you say you're full standalone, but also say you're running an AEM V2, but the aristo ECU is controlling the trans? Please clarify.

The fact that it was doing it without the FCD might be indicative that it's not necessarily the cause of the problem. I don't think the factory ECU is capable of knocking down throttle percentage as a fuel cut.

I'd suggest going full standalone and getting the Aristo ECU out of the way completely. Getting the FCD wired up correctly will help at least eliminate that from your potential sources of the issue...meaning if it's wired correctly and the throttle is still getting knocked down, you know it isn't the FCD doing it.
Old 10-22-12, 12:39 PM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah it got taken out, my shop didn't think we needed it since we went full standalone...
ok im gonna find the instructions for your i need you to take it out the car unless your using it with the aem.
Old 10-22-12, 11:10 PM
twoloose
Driver

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
I'm no expert, but I'll throw my .02 in.

First, you say you're full standalone, but also say you're running an AEM V2, but the aristo ECU is controlling the trans? Please clarify.

The fact that it was doing it without the FCD might be indicative that it's not necessarily the cause of the problem. I don't think the factory ECU is capable of knocking down throttle percentage as a fuel cut.

I'd suggest going full standalone and getting the Aristo ECU out of the way completely. Getting the FCD wired up correctly will help at least eliminate that from your potential sources of the issue...meaning if it's wired correctly and the throttle is still getting knocked down, you know it isn't the FCD doing it.
I don't think its the cause of the problem, we thought it might fix the problem. The AEM is basically wired in as a piggy back, your correct. The aritso ecu controls the trans and the throttle body, the aristo ecu can shut down the throttle body and it is, we just don't know how to fix it... It's not cutting fuel because we are going lean, A/F is steady and good its just killing the throttle...

Unfortunatly I found out today that we can't go full standalone because the AEM that was put in was basically a honda box and doesn't have the ability to do so ...*****
Old 10-22-12, 11:12 PM
twoloose
Driver

Originally Posted by japspec
ok im gonna find the instructions for your i need you to take it out the car unless your using it with the aem.
I found a DIY on clubaristo.net and I'm going to check the car tomorrow... I just don't know why I'm having this issue, I can't beleive I'm the only one this has happend to...Someone has to be running a similar setup...
Old 10-22-12, 11:46 PM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

Keep me posted.
Old 10-23-12, 02:41 AM
Hardrvin
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

What sensors do you have hooked up to the ecu? It can be pulling throttle for a ton of reasons. I'm guessing its not seeing an input or what it views as an invalid input and is going into limp mode.