Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

converting to manual

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-10, 01:30 PM
StarkoS14
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did anyone on here ever try using all is300 parts?
Old 09-08-10, 05:52 PM
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StarkoS14
did anyone on here ever try using all is300 parts?
I'm working on the R154 swap in my GTE VVTi swapped GS right now. I started out with the IS parts list from my.is It;s not looking like those parts work so well. The plunger rod that bolts to the pedal appears to be too short, the pedal hits the floor before it's fully depressed. The pedal itself is too long and has the wrong bends in it. The frame that the pedal mounts to needs to be modified so that it fits up under the dash. You have to cut of a pretty big chunk of it.

I am going to try the SC pedal setup with the SC clutch master cylinder and see how that goes next. I have removed the factory foot e-brake and am going to try the SC ebrake and Supra ebrake and see which one fits best. I'm also looking in to removing the factory brake booster and replace it with the Supra brake booster to free up some room there. Money is tight, we have another baby on the way so the process is pretty slow going right now. I'll try to update as I progress.

Ryan
Old 09-09-10, 10:13 AM
StarkoS14
Pole Position

great info, thank you so much. please keep me updated! pics would be great too. are you trying to use the is300 driveshaft too?

how do you plan on incorporating in the ebrake? I was thinkin hydro, but a supra or sc ebrake sounds more my style.
Old 09-09-10, 04:54 PM
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap

no worries man! anything I can do to help. Haven't figured out the driveshaft yet. Probably a custom carbon fiber one when I get around to it. I don't think the IS would work being that the transmission is a W58 not a R154 so I'm not sure if the splines would match up or not.

I'm looking at mounting the ebrake handle on the passenger side of the center console. With the SC ebrake handle, it fits pretty good, I will have to make some 1 1/4" spacers to space it off of the tunnel to clear the console and bolt it up. The cable is the next issue to tackle. Right now, I can use the OEM GS cable if I wrap it up towards the front under the HVAC and back around behind the handle. I'll need to fab a stop to mount it to so when you pull the handle it only moves the inner cable not the outer too.

Judging by pictures I have seen online, the supra ebrake setup should be almost bolt on, moving the ebrake to the driver side of the console instead of the passenger side. I have an ebrake from a supra on the way so I should be able to answer that question in the next few days.

Hydro sounds like too much work. The less fab work I have to do, the better! lol.

I'll do my best on pics for sure.

Ryan
Old 09-15-10, 07:02 AM
StarkoS14
Pole Position

thanks ryan, this is great info. i just talked to my buddy henry who drifts his ae86, he said hes never broken the w58, so i was thinkin that route. im curious to see your mounting of that ebrake handle. def makes sense to throw it on the passenger side. i think im gonna sell my black on black gs and get another 2gs3 to beat up.
Old 09-15-10, 08:34 AM
WilloW0024
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys, first post here. I just got my 98 GS300 a couple days ago and I'm contemplating doing the manual conversion.

I did some searching on here for the last couple weeks but I couldn't find what I was looking for in regards to installing the clutch pedal and the associating slave cylinder. Did you guys have to uninstall the dashboard to drill/cut the hole the the clutch pedal? I'm getting the tool from Harbor freight to cut the hole on the firewall today so I figured I should find out what you guys did before I tear into it.

Glad to see a mature community without a bunch of kids cussing at each other. Thank you for any inputs.

Will
Old 09-15-10, 09:27 AM
StarkoS14
Pole Position

yeah dude, pull the entire dash.... remove as much as possible. it will make your life easier when drilling into the firewall and such for a manual conversion. u might want to replace your heater core too while you're in there, they are a ***** when they go...

a lot of mature people on here, not so many gear/tech peeps tho. us pulling together will help show the forum what these lexus' are really made of. yeah they're pretty, but the engineering behind the car is really fascinating to learn about.
Old 09-15-10, 10:55 AM
ROPADOPA
Pole Position

If i recall correctly i ended up using IS clutch pedal and gas pedal then modified my brake pedal, I chose the IS based on as they were the less complex and smallest of lexus units.. Plus they dress out nice. I bought another pedal recover for my brake to finish it out.

used supra/sc master

and welded a supra front shaft to my shaft

Piece of cake .lol
Old 10-10-10, 08:30 PM
SuperiorSC
Lexus Test Driver

we need to start a new sticky thread with the correct info on swapping in a 5/6speed.

w58/r154/v160
is/sc pedals
sc/supra mc
custom driveshaft(anyone have the length?)

* what we have to use for the ecu? if you run a standalone are you ok? do we need an ecu to control the trans?

im going to have to go 5speed very soon so hopefully we can get a writeup or something together.
Old 10-11-10, 06:10 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ROPADOPA
If i recall correctly i ended up using IS clutch pedal and gas pedal then modified my brake pedal, I chose the IS based on as they were the less complex and smallest of lexus units.. Plus they dress out nice. I bought another pedal recover for my brake to finish it out.

used supra/sc master

and welded a supra front shaft to my shaft

Piece of cake .lol
On the master, how did you run your clutch lines to the Trans? Soft braided or custom hard lines?

Did you extend the driveshaft at all? You used a V160 though...Do you know if there are any dimensional differences between that and the w58/55 that come in the Supras? Is there any way to use the Supra Driveshaft?
Old 10-19-10, 07:38 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

thats good info on the drive shaft i am assuming u had it balanced after welding it
Old 10-20-10, 09:07 AM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same here, IS300 hardware on my car too. Worked fine.
Old 11-12-10, 11:41 AM
flexspeed
Pole Position

hey supz.... nice input going on for this conversion.... i find out that if you converting to manual.... you have to use some kind of e- managment.. which i was told to use Haltech sports2000

and also to use a 98 throttle body that is semi .... shoot... forgot thats that wire... driveby wire...... our cars sucks on the drive by wire.. which i was told to use one from a sc300 or supra.... its a hard to find one unless from dealer...

keep this up... and we will have a DIY on this.... hope my information help as i got this from another experience supra tech
Old 11-12-10, 12:21 PM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

wilwood 3/4" compact clutch master with resevoir and wilwood single overhung pedal also work. Pedal needs to be modified to place it in the correct spot.

compact 3/4" master - 260-6089
resevoir - 260-7577
pedal - 340-1290

Old 11-12-10, 05:20 PM
ROPADOPA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flexspeed
hey supz.... nice input going on for this conversion.... i find out that if you converting to manual.... you have to use some kind of e- managment.. which i was told to use Haltech sports2000

and also to use a 98 throttle body that is semi .... shoot... forgot thats that wire... driveby wire...... our cars sucks on the drive by wire.. which i was told to use one from a sc300 or supra.... its a hard to find one unless from dealer...

keep this up... and we will have a DIY on this.... hope my information help as i got this from another experience supra tech
????????? Why im running the stock 6 speed JDM ECU with no issues but a speed sensor code that comes up here and there, but that's all part of the body ecu multiplex system.

Quick Reply: converting to manual