Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Custom exhaust question for GS300, NA now but will be 2JZ-GTE'd later

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-10, 11:56 PM
duckJAI
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom exhaust question for GS300, NA now but will be 2JZ-GTE'd later

Hey guys, I'm looking at doing a full custom exhaust using Mild steel all the way through to give it a nice deep, unraspy tone and also will save some $ too.

Right now I'm stock 2JZ-GE on my GS300 but I plan on doing the Aristo 2JZ-GTE swap in the future so that is a consideration I'm keeping when planning my custom exhaust setup.

Would you guys advice a full 3" setup even tho I'm stock NA or would 2.5" suffice for the 2JZ-GTE setup?

How about replacing the OEM cats with High flow cats? My OEM ones are rattling like crazy...not sure if I should change them out. If doing a full cat-back custom exhaust on the GS3, will it throw any CELs? Or is that only the case if I took out a cat?

Anyone else running full mild steel exhaust setups?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by duckJAI; 05-02-10 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-02-10, 01:04 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't run straight mild steel. It will rust out like all hell. At least use aluminized steel, it's pretty common stuff. How soon are you going to do the GTE swap? If it is within the next half year to one year, honestly I would just recommend you to leave the cars exhaust stock. No point to waste money on it now and have to redo it again shortly in the future. If it's longer term than that for the swap, then I would go with a 2.75" at most to keep the low-midrange power. If you goto 3", you will gain top end power at the expense of the low-mid range. If you're building a exhaust, then for the GE/GTE...the mid Y-pipe section to the mufflers will stay the same. Only the downpipe and midpipe will be different once you do the GTE swap. For turbo on these engines, 3" is a must. Anything smaller will just choke the engine.
Old 05-02-10, 03:04 PM
duckJAI
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Don't run straight mild steel. It will rust out like all hell. At least use aluminized steel, it's pretty common stuff. How soon are you going to do the GTE swap? If it is within the next half year to one year, honestly I would just recommend you to leave the cars exhaust stock. No point to waste money on it now and have to redo it again shortly in the future. If it's longer term than that for the swap, then I would go with a 2.75" at most to keep the low-midrange power. If you goto 3", you will gain top end power at the expense of the low-mid range. If you're building a exhaust, then for the GE/GTE...the mid Y-pipe section to the mufflers will stay the same. Only the downpipe and midpipe will be different once you do the GTE swap. For turbo on these engines, 3" is a must. Anything smaller will just choke the engine.
I ran a Trust DD on my 240sx and it was made from mild steel but was coated so it didn't rust. I'm looking at this project in a couple years and reason why I wanted to do the exhaust is because mine is rattling like crazy at all points of the exhaust, axle mufflers and mid section resonators and it's driving me crazy.

I don't mind losing some low end power, not like the 2JZ-GE is fast anyways. Even when I do spirited runs, I stay in lower gears allowing me to be in good range for power.

Which part of the midpipe will change for the GTE? Is it because the downpipe is a different length that it won't connect? If so, I can always shorten the midpipe when that time comes to have it connect to the GTE downpipe no?