Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GS300 Aluminum radiator

Old 01-05-10, 08:21 PM
lextechGS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS300 Aluminum radiator

Does anyone know who sells a nice polished aluminum radiator for the GS3? I was looking at the Koyo radiator....they make it for the IS300 but from what I am told it will not fit the GS.
Old 01-05-10, 08:35 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

You will need to buy a Supra Radiator and then get custom mounts welded on. Unfortunately nobody sells a bolt in radiator for the 2GS.
Old 01-05-10, 08:40 PM
lextechGS
Driver

That sucks, I figured if they make it for the supra...they would for sure sell one for the GS. Oh well, thanks for saving me time on an endless search
Old 01-05-10, 08:47 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

If you really want an aftermarket aluminum, you can send me a Supra radiator and I can weld on brackets and tabs.
Old 01-25-10, 05:32 PM
lextechGS
Driver

I would love to take you up on that offer. How much would you charge to do that? Also, from other posts I have read, it looks like I may need an IS300 fan shroud. Is that true?
Old 01-25-10, 09:38 PM
tommyGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or if you want to be an idiot like me and make a custom one. i had a custom made from ron davis. radiator, fan and shroud cost me $1700. and yes BOLD purchase...its really big and thicker then other aluminum radiators..i was going to go crazy horse but with the economy the way it is... i have to stop modding for a while
Old 01-26-10, 03:44 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jeff--I'm also interested in taking you up on the offer (PMd you)...
Old 01-26-10, 04:02 AM
lextechGS
Driver

wow, $1700 is a bit steep. I really just want one to dress up my engine bay a little, but if it's gonna cost me big bucks or a really hard time modifying a supra radiator....then I might bail on the idea. Sucks they dont make a direct fit!
Old 01-26-10, 06:10 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

buy a Koyo rad, they're reasonably priced.

Then send it over to TX for JeffTsai to modify the mounts for you!

Last edited by Bippu147; 07-21-14 at 12:16 AM.
Old 01-26-10, 05:52 PM
lextechGS
Driver

The car comes with electric fans...it's the older models that have mechanical fans. But anyways at this point, I feel like there is too much work involved just to have some more bling under the hood. Maybe one of these companies will come to their senses and make a GS radiator one day. I did find one however on RHDjapan.com, but it runs about $1500!
Old 01-30-10, 03:00 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lextechGS
The car comes with electric fans...it's the older models that have mechanical fans. But anyways at this point, I feel like there is too much work involved just to have some more bling under the hood. Maybe one of these companies will come to their senses and make a GS radiator one day. I did find one however on RHDjapan.com, but it runs about $1500!
it seriously takes an hour to modify it to fit, you just have to weld 2 mounts.

Last edited by Bippu147; 07-21-14 at 12:17 AM.
Old 01-30-10, 05:19 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What differences will I notice in the car (besides a sweet-looking radiator) when upgrading to a Mishimoto?
Old 01-30-10, 05:50 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

probably not much unless you're boosted. your engine will run a slight bit cooler with the aluminum rad because it helps dissipate heat a little more. It's also considerably lighter than stock...but again without stripping your car you wont know the difference.
Old 01-31-10, 11:09 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

The stock rad is perfectly capable if you're mostly stock. I'd even take it to a stretch that the stock rad is capable for 500whp on a boosted GS3 as long as you're just doing highway runs or drag racing it(allowing cooldown if you're doing drag). Basically if it's a situation where you're just going straight and getting plenty of airflow then you're ok. The aftermarket rad is only really helpful when you're racing through a road course where there is a lot of slowing down and turning situations where you don't get optimal airflow. For a mostly stock GS, the upgraded radiator is overkill IMO, it's just for bling at that point lol.

As for a company making a rad for the 2GS, I highly doubt it will happen. There's not enough performance interest in these cars for them to waste their time/money for something that probably won't sell very well at all. Our only option is to go fully custom or buy a Supra rad and modify it to fit as I have done on my own car.

Also, keep in mind aluminum conducts heat VERY well. I can't tell you how many times people have burned their hands on my radiator when peeking into my engine bay. They want to lean in further to see the turbo and they usually rest their hands on the radiator. I've even been caught off guard a few times lol.

One last thing. The upgraded radiators are very thick and usually require you to change out your fan to something slimmer. I changed my fans over to the Flex-a-Lite slim dual fans to be able to get enough clearance.
Old 02-02-10, 05:23 PM
APEX 2JZ
Driver School Candidate

Default Koyo Radiator

http://www.koyorad.com/

What about Koyo? They make an application specific aluminum radiator for the 98-05 GS300. I know it's still not the best but its affordable. Part #A2222.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GS300 Aluminum radiator