Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Driving myself crazy; got a G-Tech!!! :(

Old 12-04-09, 06:05 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Driving myself crazy; got a G-Tech!!! :(

Ok, so I lucked out and scooped up a practically NEW G-Tech Pro RR accelerometer for $90/shipped on Craigslist! Seriously, I saved about $200 bucks. Needless to say I was anxious to try it out. So, last night I did.

First, I started messing around with the unit; configuring process, unit settings such as date and time and car information. I had NO IDEA how much my car weighs with me (180lbs) and my stereo crap in the trunk(~140lbs); so I guessed at 4100lbs.

First off, let me just say that I changed my wheels and tires (19" multi-pc with 275/30/19) back to stock (16" stock with 225/55/16) for the winter time; I had no idea I was going to get this G-Tech this soon or I would have waited before switching to my winter setup. Ok, so my winter tires (Dunlop SP Winter sport) are approaching 4 years old and needless to say it is the VERY last winter that these tires will see; I can't get traction for $H1T but they are MUCH better in this cold season than my "Summer only" Bridgestone Potenza RE760's!

After setting up the G-tech and learning how to use it I decided to take a spin.

Run #1

With no cars around from a light I floored it (knowing I was going to spin ridiculously) WOT just to see what I would get. My car went completely sideways which seemed like forever, hooked and went. I got a 8.4X second 0-60 mph run (lol) and my 60' time was around 2.82 seconds. I never went up to the 1/4 mile mark so I didn't get a time for that. I knew it was going to be REAL bad because how I lost so much traction. It showed (calculated) that my car had 148 hp! ha!!! Forgot the torque #'s

Run #2

I wanted to try something different. Knowing that no matter what I did with my current setup I would lose traction I decided I would go 1/2 throttle off the line to about 15/20mph and then mash it. I did this and at 1/2 throttle got minimal wheelspin but "felt like" a MUCH slower start. At around 15/20 mph I mashed it and got GOBS of wheelspin again, hooked and went. I got a 6.4X second 0-60 mph run (still lol) and my 60' time was around 2.4X seconds. Again, I never went up to the 1/4 mile mark as a car pulled out in front of me up ahead. It showed (calculated) that my car now had 214 hp! (still pretty funny); I think these figures are at the wheels though.

Run #3

Never did one yet!

Please, please, please SOMEONE give me advice on how I can re-gain some traction.

Even with my brand new wheels and tires when I had them on a couple of weeks ago I would get a good amount of wheel spin (NOT that bad though; maybe 3-4 tire rotations) when WOT off the line. All this AND I have extra weight in the trunk (stereo)!!! Are these tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE760) not that good? Perhaps is my size a poor choice? Would it have been better for traction purposes if I would have went with a 35 series (bigger sidewall)tire in the back?

I do NOT want to take ANY performance mod off my car to get more traction; so no talk about me losing my 3.76 gears or my PI TC please. My ULTIMATE goal is to keep all my mods in tact and LOSE the stereo (140lbs) and hook instantly (or close to it)and go from a WOT launch. No drag radial advice please this is my daily driver.

I am open to other tire choices (preferably in the Bridgestone line so the brand matches my fronts) and/or sizes for when I put that setup back on in March/April.

My car is a BEAST while rolling (where traction is not an issue) but my car is kind of setup more towards off the line performance and I want to hone in on that.

Please help! Suggestions? Comments?

Last edited by Rock-a-Lex; 12-04-09 at 06:23 AM. Reason: corrected stock tire size
Old 12-04-09, 09:02 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For your 3rd run this winter, swap back out just the rear wheels! You know you (we) want to! Long-term, though sticky damn tires and weight over 'em (battery relocate, keep the system?).
Old 12-04-09, 09:17 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Ok, so I lucked out and scooped up a practically NEW G-Tech Pro RR accelerometer for $90/shipped on Craigslist! Seriously, I saved about $200 bucks. Needless to say I was anxious to try it out. So, last night I did.

First, I started messing around with the unit; configuring process, unit settings such as date and time and car information. I had NO IDEA how much my car weighs with me (180lbs) and my stereo crap in the trunk(~140lbs); so I guessed at 4100lbs.

First off, let me just say that I changed my wheels and tires (19" multi-pc with 275/30/19) back to stock (16" stock with 225/55/16) for the winter time; I had no idea I was going to get this G-Tech this soon or I would have waited before switching to my winter setup. Ok, so my winter tires (Dunlop SP Winter sport) are approaching 4 years old and needless to say it is the VERY last winter that these tires will see; I can't get traction for $H1T but they are MUCH better in this cold season than my "Summer only" Bridgestone Potenza RE760's!

After setting up the G-tech and learning how to use it I decided to take a spin.

Run #1

With no cars around from a light I floored it (knowing I was going to spin ridiculously) WOT just to see what I would get. My car went completely sideways which seemed like forever, hooked and went. I got a 8.4X second 0-60 mph run (lol) and my 60' time was around 2.82 seconds. I never went up to the 1/4 mile mark so I didn't get a time for that. I knew it was going to be REAL bad because how I lost so much traction. It showed (calculated) that my car had 148 hp! ha!!! Forgot the torque #'s

Run #2

I wanted to try something different. Knowing that no matter what I did with my current setup I would lose traction I decided I would go 1/2 throttle off the line to about 15/20mph and then mash it. I did this and at 1/2 throttle got minimal wheelspin but "felt like" a MUCH slower start. At around 15/20 mph I mashed it and got GOBS of wheelspin again, hooked and went. I got a 6.4X second 0-60 mph run (still lol) and my 60' time was around 2.4X seconds. Again, I never went up to the 1/4 mile mark as a car pulled out in front of me up ahead. It showed (calculated) that my car now had 214 hp! (still pretty funny); I think these figures are at the wheels though.

Run #3

Never did one yet!

Please, please, please SOMEONE give me advice on how I can re-gain some traction.

Even with my brand new wheels and tires when I had them on a couple of weeks ago I would get a good amount of wheel spin (NOT that bad though; maybe 3-4 tire rotations) when WOT off the line. All this AND I have extra weight in the trunk (stereo)!!! Are these tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE760) not that good? Perhaps is my size a poor choice? Would it have been better for traction purposes if I would have went with a 35 series (bigger sidewall)tire in the back?

I do NOT want to take ANY performance mod off my car to get more traction; so no talk about me losing my 3.76 gears or my PI TC please. My ULTIMATE goal is to keep all my mods in tact and LOSE the stereo (140lbs) and hook instantly (or close to it)and go from a WOT launch. No drag radial advice please this is my daily driver.

I am open to other tire choices (preferably in the Bridgestone line so the brand matches my fronts) and/or sizes for when I put that setup back on in March/April.

My car is a BEAST while rolling (where traction is not an issue) but my car is kind of setup more towards off the line performance and I want to hone in on that.

Please help! Suggestions? Comments?
Your car is only putting down 306 ft lbs according to your sig & it is spinning so wildly? Tires.. I would look into some BF Goodrich Comp TA rubber if you are more into off the line take offs..
Old 12-04-09, 09:20 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
For your 3rd run this winter, swap back out just the rear wheels! You know you (we) want to! Long-term, though sticky damn tires and weight over 'em (battery relocate, keep the system?).
I want to...we'll see. If my wife sees me putting my wheels back on she would be like WTF and a boatload of questions will follow; she'll find out that I am "testing" my car and my a$$ would be toast! She hates when I drive agressively lol.

I feel that my car is definitely capable of very low 5 seconds 0-60 mph with a good launch and a lot of traction. I want to see that day.
Old 12-04-09, 11:20 AM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
I feel that my car is definitely capable of very low 5 seconds 0-60 mph with a good launch and a lot of traction. I want to see that day.
I would be very surprised if you can get a GS that is normally aspirated to click off a low 5 second 0-60 time.
Old 12-04-09, 12:32 PM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are leaving the line under throttle already right, like a trans-brake? The only real key that it seems that your missing is traction. If you really want to get the most of it, I know you said no drag radials.... but I'd get 2 spare 7"-8" wide rims and mount racing slicks to them, the minimum tread on your 16's and the weight of the 19's are going to kill your performance just getting them rolling... Other than that, I would agree with Quick VR-4. IIRC, there are a lot of IS300 guys running RX7 wheels with slicks on them because there a dime a dozen..
Old 12-04-09, 01:48 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

HOLY ***** GUYS!!!!

I am so excited to write this. I just did a quick run while on my way back from a bank run (for work). I was driving down a long road with no lights and didn't see any cars in sight either way. I pulled over and pressed the button to stage launching.

I decided this time to LEAVE THE TRACTION CONTROL ON!!! With the ECT set to Power mode.

RESULTS!!!

60' = 2.249 seconds
330' = 5.796 seconds

0-60 = 4.76 seconds

I saved this run (only went to about 70mph because it was just a small road) so when I upload it to my computer with the PASS software (included with this RR model) I will post it up on here. TRUST ME I will do PLENTY MORE runs to verify trueness!!!

I guess I cannot launch as good as the cars computer (traction control) can. Before, when I felt a lot of spinning I would easy off the throttle (perhaps too much) and going back on the throttle (perhaps too much; more wheelspin). The computer I guess optimizes the braking and acceleration for you for maximum traction.
Old 12-05-09, 06:40 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Quick VR-4
I would be very surprised if you can get a GS that is normally aspirated to click off a low 5 second 0-60 time.
We're ALL surprised now! If the car is heavily modded try leaving the TRACTION CONTROL ON! I had night and day results and I never thought to try it...I never tried it ONCE (until now) in the last 4 years since the addition of my performance mods.

When the car was relatively stock with just an air intake the car would launch pathetically with traction control on...the car would bog down and I FELT the accelerator being muzzled (for lack of a better word). So from that day on I ALWAYS liked to drive with the traction control off even when I started to mod heavily towards performance because I just thought it was going to effect things even more.

Last edited by Rock-a-Lex; 12-05-09 at 06:44 AM.
Old 12-05-09, 01:14 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't believe you lol, 4.76 sec 0 60 I've had modded 99 bmw 540 (4.4L V8) with 6 speed, it had more hp/tq than GS4, and and it did only like 5.3-4.

Last edited by Vadim540i; 12-05-09 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-05-09, 02:38 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Vadim540i
I don't believe you lol, 4.76 sec 0 60 I've had modded 99 bmw 540 (4.4L V8) with 6 speed, it had more hp/tq than GS4, and and it did only like 5.3-4.

Your car is too slow
Old 12-05-09, 04:26 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That car weighs as much as a Panzer
Rock has a TC and Supra gearing
Maybe you shift too damn slow and/or spun

Old 12-05-09, 06:16 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Nice work Rock.. Looks like you'll be keeping the GS for awhile..
Old 12-05-09, 10:37 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
That car weighs as much as a Panzer
Rock has a TC and Supra gearing
Maybe you shift too damn slow and/or spun

I shift very quickly but yeah 540 is very heavy... but it will absolutely destroy gs400 stock vs stock
Old 12-05-09, 11:30 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G-tech is crap

I was doing 13's at over 100mph and took it to the track with same setup and not even close. might be different for yours. put some videos up
Old 12-06-09, 07:46 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

I shift very quickly but yeah 540 is very heavy... but it will absolutely destroy gs400 stock vs stock
^Totally agree with you that stock vs stock a GS4xx will NOT beat a 540 especially if it is a manual.

BUT weight plays such a HUGE factor (as always). I just spoke to a friend last light that got the NEW 750Li BMW (the V8 TT version). That thing has crazy HP (400) and torque (450) BUT also weight 4750lbs! Claimed 0-60 is 4.9 seconds and 13.4 in the 1/4 mile.

IF and ONLY IF my car was modded JUST for power (i.e. no torque converter and no 3.76 gearing) and was still producing 282 whp and 306 wtq. (350 hp and 380 tq @ crank) then I would say NO WAY to these times.

I would be looking at more like 5.3-5.4 second 0-60 times...which is VERY believable if the car was rated (in stock form) as a 5.7-5.9 second 0-60 car. People do NOT understand just how much a high stall TC impacts performance with these cars. It was COMPLETELY NIGHT AND DAY with regard to acceleration with the addition of this mod. It is the MOST impressive mod that I have to date hands down!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driving myself crazy; got a G-Tech!!! :(