Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tanabe vs F-sport: my in-depth SOUND observations - Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-09, 04:28 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tanabe vs F-sport: my in-depth SOUND observations ((Part 2))

Hats off to 'mikes rx' for his review of these two exhaust!
I'll continue this subject in "Part 2" Except this time it will be on the same car (IS350)
Reason: I've had the Tanabe Touring exhaust on my IS350 for about 6 months now... just getting a little tiered of it and looking for a more aggressive tone, so I just ordered an F-Sport exhaust from Sewell. We'll see if its what I'm looking for.

I'll be getting it in by the end of the week and installing over the weekend.
I'll post my thoughts on these two ever popular exhaust systems for the ISx50.

Stay tuned

...my best attempt at a teaser

Last edited by mdgrwl; 10-20-09 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-20-09, 04:36 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

10/20 reserved spot for review:

10/24 Initial Review:
So day 1, just took off the Tanabe & installed the F-Sport:

Volume, and nothing but volume at this point:
Here we go! At very low RPM's, the F-Sport is not as loud as the Tanabe. The Tanabe had a HUGE amount of bass and volume at extremely low RPM's. (1-2K rpm)
At mid rpm's 2-3ish, the F-Sport is slightly louder then the Tanabe. Again, just speaking pure volume (db) levels. So in re-cap... at some points the F-Sport is more quite, and then at some points its more loud. (This doesn't suprise me as they are both making their noise from the same engine and you can only 'tune' an axle back's exhaust sound soooo much.)

Then above 4K+ range, they both behave the same... they die... the intake takes over. I'll say this though, the F-Sport blends into intake sound more smoothley. Without trying to go into too much detail, the F-Sport twins (intake & exhaust) sound similar, whereas the Tanabe sounded more bassey, less 'growl'. When having the Tanabe on, you could without a doubt hear when the exhaust died and the intake took over. In contrast, with both the F-Sport exhaust & F-Sport intake, they both would 'meld' or 'blend' very nicely and almost sound indistinguishable. Good job Lexus/TRD!

Now on to type of sound, or 'character':
In short, the Tanabe is deeper and more 'fat' sounding... more bass. While the F-Sport is a bit more mid-rangey sounding. In essence, the F-Sport sounds like a Infinity g35, pure and simple, but louder.

More detailed analysis - not only sounidng more 'mid-rangey' and less like 'fat bass', the F-Sport also has more 'growl' or a slight 'zzzing' sound. You feel a little more 'character' or 'growl' in your car seat when accelerating with the F-Sport, while the Tanabe was a big bassey fat 'puuuuuuuuuuurrrrrr'. The F-Sport has a bit more 'gurgle' sound, or 'growly' sounds... Though it sounds nothing like an American muscle car (who ever wrote that before knows nothing about how to describe exhaust tone!). The F-Sport, in short, sounds like an Infinity g35 but louder.

Thats really it folks! (so far) - They behave very similar (both axle backs), but one sounds more bassey, and one more midrange (Infinity g35). While the bass is fat and maybe at some times overpowering with the Tanabe, the midrange is growly and some times 'zingy' sounding with the F-Sport

...and so far, thats my day 1 analysis.

I'll post a review a little down the road when I've come more familiar w/ the F-Sport.

Last edited by mdgrwl; 10-24-09 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-21-09, 10:01 AM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interested in the review. Subscribed.
Old 10-24-09, 06:59 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

bump.... finally got her on and did my review (10/24).
i'll post more thoughts once I have the F-Sport on longer. So far though, I think there's not much more to say.
Old 10-24-09, 09:23 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Copy cat

Seriously though, I think we share the same views, and I like how you say that the intake/exhaust blend throughout the upper range.

To me, it seems like you can definitely hear the exhaust at the upper end, but it could be that I was so used to hearing nothing from the tanabe that anything could be perceived as "loud", vs. how you said "blend".

In conclusion,

Last edited by mikes rx; 10-24-09 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-24-09, 09:30 PM
mikes rx

Also, I don't know if you've noticed, but IMO it's louder when I'm in sport mode and driving a little bit more "spiritedly". Otherwise, it seems to be a little quieter, even though I'm in the same rev range.

I wonder if it's just engine load or something???
Old 10-25-09, 02:36 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Also, I don't know if you've noticed, but IMO it's louder when I'm in sport mode and driving a little bit more "spiritedly". Otherwise, it seems to be a little quieter, even though I'm in the same rev range.

I wonder if it's just engine load or something???
Na, I just think in auto mode, the transmission naturally wants to keep the RPM's as low as possible (fuel economy)... but when in sport mode your controlling the RPM's and I'll bet they are higher, hence louder exhaust volume.
Old 10-25-09, 02:38 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Day 2:
Not much of a review here, other then I think the sound is starting to change slightly afte putting some miles on it. It sounds like its getting a tad deeper and opening up a little... placebo or do exhaust really 'break in' ??

Can anyone confirm this
Old 10-25-09, 02:54 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

how about test the exhaust with a resonator removal? you might be able to get a good sound on the upper range.
Old 10-25-09, 03:15 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

from what I've read here on CL, its gets too loud so I'll probably pass. I like the volume of the F-Sport just he way it is.
Old 10-25-09, 08:43 PM
mikes rx

Originally Posted by mdgrwl
Na, I just think in auto mode, the transmission naturally wants to keep the RPM's as low as possible (fuel economy)... but when in sport mode your controlling the RPM's and I'll bet they are higher, hence louder exhaust volume.
What I meant was that at the same rpm, it seems deeper when in sport mode. Kinda like the difference between revving in neutral to a certain point vs. it being in gear with engine load.

You should try it though. Downshift to second to put the revs around 3000, then use a moderate amount of acceleration. I think you'll be able to tell the difference in sound.

Day 2:
Not much of a review here, other then I think the sound is starting to change slightly afte putting some miles on it. It sounds like its getting a tad deeper and opening up a little... placebo or do exhaust really 'break in' ??

Can anyone confirm this
well, I just did a 200 mile drive with mine today. Total, I've got ~900 miles on the exhaust, and I think it has opened up a little bit. I especially noticed this after about 50-100 miles (once the new exhaust smell went away).

But, theoretically, I don't *think* it should get much louder, due to it's design. I don't think they use the sound deadening/filler materials that they used too, and with the straight through design there aren't baffles/etc that can loosen up.

So, it probably won't get much louder......unless you get a hole in the piping
Old 10-25-09, 09:20 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Yeah, I love the volume its at now, I sure hope it doesn't get any louder. But a bit more open and more depth wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

So far, LOVING THIS EXHAUST TONE!!!!
Old 10-28-09, 07:22 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

One more observation, nothing ground breaking but thougth it was worth note. The exhaust tips them selves do not stick out any further then the Tanabe tips. The overall shape however is different. The Tanabe's had a slight slanted cut to them, while the F-Sport tips are a flat/flush circle, giving the appearance that they stick out further.

I'm liking the F-Sport look much better with my GFX rear lip. You can see the tips a tad bit more visually due to the bottoms being flush/flat cut and it gives a slightly more aggressive appearance to the rear of the car.
Old 10-28-09, 07:30 AM
kdii02
Pole Position

One more observation, nothing ground breaking but thougth it was worth note. The exhaust tips them selves do not stick out any further then the Tanabe tips. The overall shape however is different. The Tanabe's had a slight slanted cut to them, while the F-Sport tips are a flat/flush circle, giving the appearance that they stick out further.

I'm liking the F-Sport look much better with my GFX rear lip. You can see the tips a tad bit more visually due to the bottoms being flush/flat cut and it gives a slightly more aggressive appearance to the rear of the car.
Awesome! Take some pics!!
Old 10-28-09, 08:01 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

^ What do you need pics for, you already own the F-Sport exhaust! lol

I'll be taking pics of my car shortly after I get my new shoes on. You'll just have to wait

Quick Reply: Tanabe vs F-sport: my in-depth SOUND observations - Part 2