Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-11, 11:19 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Jesus, $400 to calibrate the TPS?!?!?! What a rip off. Its a $80 part, held to the throttle body with two screws, its a 30 minute job to replace and calibrate one. Oh well, whatever's done is done. And I hope that your dealership actually went ahead and actually properly adjusted it. A lot of mechanics will skimp out on this and just adjust it to where the idle is more or less within specs.

In any case, the sensor on the pedal isn't adjustable (well, technically it is, but Lexus provides no instructions or specs on the adjustment). It is calibrated from the factory and is a simple replacement - I did it in less than 10 minutes.

The part number is 7801030030 and I paid $150.93 on Sewell.
Old 02-14-11, 03:07 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

The part # you posted is for 01-05 GS430's.

I have a 98 GS400.

Is the part I need somewhere in this picture?

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/images/...00/780245E.jpg
Old 02-14-11, 04:12 PM
97sc300t
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been experiencing the same problem as some of you but I am throwing a code
p1120-I clear the code and its fine for a few days then comes back-all things lead me to believe the accel. pedal sensor-what do guys think?
Old 02-14-11, 06:55 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Anyone know the part number for the APP Sensor for the GS400? I can't seem to find it on Sewell.
Old 02-14-11, 07:13 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
The part # you posted is for 01-05 GS430's.

I have a 98 GS400.

Is the part I need somewhere in this picture?

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/images/...00/780245E.jpg
Hey, sorry, didn't realize you had an earlier one.

Yours actually still has a throttle cable I believe, but only a partial cable - the throttle body still has a motor that operates the butterfly. Your pedal however doesn't have the sensor to the best of my knowledge.

Refer to the link below for part reference. Repace ******* with t o y o d i y (no spaces)

http://www.*******.com/parts/p_U_199...AQKA_7801.html
Old 02-14-11, 07:32 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the link, but I don't really know where to go from there. So you're saying there's no such thing as an APP sensor on a GS400?
Old 02-14-11, 07:50 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

The GS400 have both the pedal position sensor and throttle position sensor.

There is a cable from the pedal to the throttle but the cable only moves the throttle plate when the pedal is virtually all the way to the floor. At that point it opens the throttle plate by maybe 20 degrees which is why you get very little acceleration and speed when the vsc cel lights come on. When the system is working it is the throttle motor which moves the throttle plate (this is drive by wire) not the accelrator pedal.

My car threw the cel and vsc lights about three weeks ago. I took the whole throttle body off and gave it a thorough cleaning with carb cleaner. I sprayed the body, the throttle plate and the little breather holes sitting under the cover plate on the top of the housing. I also sprayed the throttle shaft and turned the housing so the shaft is pointing up and down so that the carb cleaner would run down the shaft towards the throttle motor and then the other way so it would run down toward the APP sensor. I put everything back together and so far everything seems to be running fine. I have put about 800 miles since I did this. The throttle response also appears to have improved.
Old 02-14-11, 08:07 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

For anyone else who thinks their tps sensor is bad, you don't have to pay the dealer $400 to do this. Their is no super secret special tool they use. You can calibrate it the proper way with a obdii scan tool like this.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...equestid=21711
The tool just needs to be able to read live data. It's the cheapest one autozone has with the capability. The sensor and the scan tool is about $220combined. You save $180 and have the scan tool for future use to read and erase codes. The factory directions are attached. They're on here somewhere if teh attachment doesn't work.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Installing TPS.pdf (83.8 KB, 3262 views)
Old 02-14-11, 08:10 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by newgsman
The GS400 have both the pedal position sensor and throttle position sensor.

There is a cable from the pedal to the throttle but the cable only moves the throttle plate when the pedal is virtually all the way to the floor. At that point it opens the throttle plate by maybe 20 degrees which is why you get very little acceleration and speed when the vsc cel lights come on. When the system is working it is the throttle motor which moves the throttle plate (this is drive by wire) not the accelrator pedal.

My car threw the cel and vsc lights about three weeks ago. I took the whole throttle body off and gave it a thorough cleaning with carb cleaner. I sprayed the body, the throttle plate and the little breather holes sitting under the cover plate on the top of the housing. I also sprayed the throttle shaft and turned the housing so the shaft is pointing up and down so that the carb cleaner would run down the shaft towards the throttle motor and then the other way so it would run down toward the APP sensor. I put everything back together and so far everything seems to be running fine. I have put about 800 miles since I did this. The throttle response also appears to have improved.
Good to know. I'm not to familiar with the system on the pre 2001 GS.
Old 02-14-11, 08:14 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tiger4life
For anyone else who thinks their tps sensor is bad, you don't have to pay the dealer $400 to do this. Their is no super secret special tool they use. You can calibrate it the proper way with a obdii scan tool like this.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...equestid=21711
The tool just needs to be able to read live data. It's the cheapest one autozone has with the capability. The sensor and the scan tool is about $220combined. You save $180 and have the scan tool for future use to read and erase codes. The factory directions are attached. They're on here somewhere if teh attachment doesn't work.
If you're gonna spend as much as $220 might as well go for a TIS cable - they are available on ebay for about $110-120 shipped from HK and China, (and they come with a hacked version of full Toyota Techstream software suite on the drivers CD that costs thousands of dollars).

I got one of these last year and its awesome, its able to read way more than just generic OBDII PIDs.
Old 02-18-11, 02:42 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

newgsman, I'm still slightly confused on the location of the APP sensor. Two days ago, I cleaned my throttle body to the best of my ability without removing it, cleaned the MAF sensor, and reset the ECU to no avail. This is starting to annoy me like no other!
Old 02-26-11, 07:39 PM
plant87
Driver School Candidate

i got the same problem with the sc300 has anyone figured what to replace
Old 02-26-11, 08:28 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
newgsman, I'm still slightly confused on the location of the APP sensor. Two days ago, I cleaned my throttle body to the best of my ability without removing it, cleaned the MAF sensor, and reset the ECU to no avail. This is starting to annoy me like no other!
If you are facing the front of the car and you are looking at the throttle body, the throttle motor is on the right and the APP is on the left side of the throttle body. It's where the throttle cable comes up to the throttle body. It's held on by four phillips screws IIRC.

When I had the throttle body off of the car I did unscrew the APP and started to remove it very carefully but as I was removing it I got the impression that I might not be able to put it back exactly right so I quickly screwed it back on to the throttle body. The quick look I had when it was half off appeared that it was clean without any obvious carbon or dirt build up.

After I put it back on I sprayed carb cleaner along the shaft holding the throttle plate towards the APP. I am not sure if it really helped but it's been about a month now and still running fine.
Old 02-27-11, 07:31 AM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

I'm having the same problem with the random P1121 popping up and the car going into 'safe mode' (half throttle, sluggish, etc..) After using a OBDII scanner and resetting the CEL, VSC, and VSC OFF lights the car runs fine for a couple more days and then again the same problem.

After reading through some other threads is seems like I'm not getting the P1120 code, just the P1121, leading me to believe that it's just the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor (APP). I'm going to go ahead and replace it anyways, but my question is where is it EXACTLY located on a GS430? Does anyone have the factory repair manual that they can send a screen shot to me or any pictures of the area of the sensor?
Old 02-28-11, 08:14 PM
helpneeded
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have the same symptoms as well for our 99 Lexus GS 300. Already replaced the TPS and Idle Control Sensor for about $550, problem still continued. Codes were P1120 and P1121. I researched this online and found a bunch of threads where people had the exact same problems...

Based on everything I've read, apparently it's the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor, part number 22060-46010 Throttle Lever Assembly.

I've also learned that the TPS, (a)PPS, throttle motor, all are involved with the same codes and it's a feedback loop, so really when any one part breaks down, you'll have the same issues. For apparently a few people replacing the throttle motor worked, and others just went ahead and replaced the whole throttle body (which contains all of the above).

Here are the other threads. I'm "distressedowner" on the UK forum and got the part number after contacting dano123 (though we're both from the US):

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/for...howtopic=70948

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...mp-mode-5.html
The following users liked this post:
2Gr8nephew (09-28-20)

Quick Reply: Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor?