ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Performance (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance-186/)
-   -   Question for the engine gurus out there... (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance/431947-question-for-the-engine-gurus-out-there.html)

Rock-a-Lex 05-31-09 02:19 PM

Question for the engine gurus out there...

Why is it that when I launch (WOT) from a standstill the revs go to 6300rpm or so (which is fine) but then drops down to 4700 when it shifts to 2nd gear? and the same when it shifts to 3rd gear and so on?

There are a couple of guys on Youtube that are pulling mid to high 5 seconds on 0-60mph runs with their bone stock GS4's. I noticed on their cars that their rpms only drop to maybe 5100rpms when shifting to 2nd and the same with 3rd...what gives with my car? Why can't I keep the revs high(er) like that?

I'm sure that I am quicker with my current mods than a stock GS4, it's just that I feel like I'm not get there as quick as I should because my RPM's drop around 400rpm more...which at ever gear shift makes a HUGE difference when "driving enthusiastically".;) What do you guys think?

raytseng 05-31-09 02:37 PM

Simple things to check:
-Be sure you have pwr mode selected.
-Reset your ECU

maintenance items:
-Get better gas-try a bottle of fuel system cleaner
-change air filter, clean MAF, and throttle body (reset ecu again)

JeffTsai 05-31-09 05:51 PM

Did you change the gear ratio? SupraTT rear end?

Rock-a-Lex 05-31-09 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by raytseng (Post 4566131)
Simple things to check:
-Be sure you have pwr mode selected.
-Reset your ECU

maintenance items:
-Get better gas-try a bottle of fuel system cleaner
-change air filter, clean MAF, and throttle body (reset ecu again)

Yes, I have done all of these things and then some...:sad:

Rock-a-Lex 05-31-09 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTsai (Post 4566482)
Did you change the gear ratio? SupraTT rear end?

...yes, I have changed the rear to the Supra TT rear. How does that change the shift points of the car?:uh: I would think the shift points stay the same since I just change the rear (all mechanical). How would the car's electronics know if I put shorter or taller gears in the rear. I am NOT making adjustments to the transmission at all. I do have the Precision Industries torque converter but I don't see how that would make it drop (rpm's when shifting to the next gear) moreso than stock. It's as almost if something with the timing? Please explain if you think otherwise...Obviously I know you know a lot about cars Jeff. I just need clarification.:thumbup:

JeffTsai 05-31-09 07:14 PM

I also have the 3.76 Supra TT rear in my car so that should put us at the same gear ratio, but I do have a pretty high stall TC. I'll have to go drive around in my car to compare. I shift at close to 8000rpm and my rpm usually drops to around 6500-6800rpm after each shift. I'll get back to you when I find out.

macd7919 05-31-09 07:21 PM

Have you checked the simple stuff such as:

Are they manually/gate shifting the car? If so you can rev it out further so it would appear that the car is shifting faster.

Possibly they have tiptronic? I don't have tiptronic in my personal car but it could possibly be giving them a few more rpm, similar to gate shifting the car.

MDSC 06-01-09 05:26 AM

your car is either
a. fine and you just imagining things, because the only thing that can change on how far the rpm drop after the shift is the transmission gears.
b. Your stall converter it tighter under load while accelerating(which is better anyway) and the other peoples stall or trans slips a little alowing the RPM to stay higher after the shift.

Rock-a-Lex 06-01-09 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by macd7919 (Post 4566682)
Have you checked the simple stuff such as:

Are they manually/gate shifting the car? If so you can rev it out further so it would appear that the car is shifting faster.

Possibly they have tiptronic? I don't have tiptronic in my personal car but it could possibly be giving them a few more rpm, similar to gate shifting the car.

I have tiptronic (e-shift) on my GS4. The guy on youtube did not have his in manual mode; it was just in regular drive. I compared mine in the same fashion and mine (rpm's) drops lower than his after each shift.:uh:

Rock-a-Lex 06-01-09 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by MDSC (Post 4567367)
your car is either
a. fine and you just imagining things, because the only thing that can change on how far the rpm drop after the shift is the transmission gears.
b. Your stall converter it tighter under load while accelerating(which is better anyway) and the other peoples stall or trans slips a little alowing the RPM to stay higher after the shift.

...this could be it. However, I don't know THAT much about TC's to know the effect it has on how the transmission shifts.

FYI...It's NOT that his car rev's quicker or shifts quicker; it STAYS higher up in the RPM range throughout the shifts. Maybe I can find the video and I'll post it up.

JBrady 06-01-09 11:07 AM

I will check on my stock LS400 for recovery point after shift (same engine and gearing as GS400)

Couple of things come to mind. When you change your gears the ECU gets different RPM vs MPH information. One known result is the top speed limiter drops from 149mph down to around 128mph. It is possible other things are effected such as torque converter lock up. Maybe the stock setting unlocks the converter on shifts to improve performance and reduce locking clutch wear/tear. Perhaps with the gearchange this unlocking no longer occurs and your converter stays locked. Just guessing of course but something must be going on.

Rock-a-Lex 06-01-09 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by jbrady (Post 4568087)
I will check on my stock LS400 for recovery point after shift (same engine and gearing as GS400)

Couple of things come to mind. When you change your gears the ECU gets different RPM vs MPH information. One known result is the top speed limiter drops from 149mph down to around 128mph. It is possible other things are effected such as torque converter lock up. Maybe the stock setting unlocks the converter on shifts to improve performance and reduce locking clutch wear/tear. Perhaps with the gearchange this unlocking no longer occurs and your converter stays locked. Just guessing of course but something must be going on.

I think that it is electronically limited to 149mph with the stock setup; meaning you could go faster mechanically speaking if you remove the electronic limiter. As far as changing the gears to 3.76 or 3.92 I feel that you are mechanically limited to 128mph...it will be maxed out at redline in overdrive due to the gears nothing having to do with the electronics limiting it. I could be wrong though but it is logical to me.

Let me know what you find after taking your LS400 for a spin...thanks.:thumbup:

MDSC 06-01-09 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex (Post 4568015)
...this could be it. However, I don't know THAT much about TC's to know the effect it has on how the transmission shifts.

FYI...It's NOT that his car rev's quicker or shifts quicker; it STAYS higher up in the RPM range throughout the shifts. Maybe I can find the video and I'll post it up.

i understand exactly what your saying about your car theres only a few things that can cause that, transmission gearing different (which is very unlikely) Stall converter locking/unlocking like the person before me was saying. ITs posible your converter is staying locked at all times, it usually should only lock in O/D 5th gear in your case. That could be converter itself or transmission ECU.

JeffTsai 06-01-09 09:15 PM

Putting in the 3.76 rear will still allow a top speed of 177mph at 6500rpm. I have the same 3.76 rear end gearing but rev the engine to 8000rpm which should technically net 218mph in 5th gear at redline.

Taking into factor of a stock A650E transmission gear ratios you will get approximately the following speeds:
3.23 GS4 stock gearing will allow a top speed of 206mph @6500rpm in 5th gear
3.76 gearing top speed of 177mph@6500rom in 5th
3.92 geairng top speed of 170mph@6500rpm in 5th
4.27 gearing top speed of 156mph@6500rpm in 5th

Rock-a-Lex 06-02-09 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by MDSC (Post 4569672)
i understand exactly what your saying about your car theres only a few things that can cause that, transmission gearing different (which is very unlikely) Stall converter locking/unlocking like the person before me was saying. ITs posible your converter is staying locked at all times, it usually should only lock in O/D 5th gear in your case. That could be converter itself or transmission ECU.

Thanks for the response. So, how can I tell if the TC is staying locked all the time? If it is staying locked at all times is this a malfunction with this part?

Regarding the tranny ECU...wouldn't I get a different CEL code for that? I always check (and just checked this morning) my tranny fluid, it's bright pink (like I just changed it yesterday) and at the full line when hot (after driving for 20 minutes).

The reason why am mentioning this is because if the tranny ECU was the culprit and making my car shift erratically wouldn't it burn up my tranny fluid and brown it? The fluid seems to be fine especially since I havn't changed it in 2 years. Amsoil synthetic ATF FTW!!!:thumbup: