Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

first time using "Lucas" injector cleaner, got 378 miles on full tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-09, 10:09 AM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default first time using "Lucas" injector cleaner, got 378 miles on full tank

thanks to GSteg for the suggestion of "lucas" injector cleaner

anyway, i used to get 330-350 miles on full tank (75% fwy+ 25% local), last week I tried w/ Lucas injector cleaner + 91 oct, i felt more aggressiveness from my stock GS + exhaust. I was surprise that I was able to reach 378 miles until the GAS light turn on for a little while. i probably can push it to 390s miles, but just afraid to try it
Old 04-23-09, 04:06 PM
VIPFAMILY
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lucas+Seafoam = Happy motor. I used it on the lex and the 240 and if done right works miracles especially if you can get to the back of the intake manifold with seafoam wow... made a difference
Old 04-23-09, 05:10 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^ yuck on seafoam. Tried it on my maxima but never did anything but make it smoke for a while. But, the lucas stuff is excellent
Old 04-23-09, 06:24 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Very nice Kevin! How did you apply the lucas?

My car use to get crappy gas mileage despite doing all the basic maintenance mods. On a recent highway trip, I was able to obtain 31mpg one way and 29mpg coming back (used AC with more stop and go interruptions).
Old 04-23-09, 11:40 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used this stuff on my car for over four years now with great results. But if you really want to clean your car out, look into a product called BG44k. The drawback to this is that you need the proper tools and your spark plugs will foul out after the process. But if you disconnect your exhaust manifold, prepare to see some carbon chips flying out.
Old 04-24-09, 09:15 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
How did you apply the lucas?
how r u supposed to apply it Henry?

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
I've used this stuff on my car for over four years now with great results. But if you really want to clean your car out, look into a product called BG44k. The drawback to this is that you need the proper tools and your spark plugs will foul out after the process. But if you disconnect your exhaust manifold, prepare to see some carbon chips flying out.
oddly my local acura dealers sells bg44k, never heard those downsides though

Last edited by sakataj; 04-24-09 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-24-09, 09:54 AM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Very nice Kevin! How did you apply the lucas?

My car use to get crappy gas mileage despite doing all the basic maintenance mods. On a recent highway trip, I was able to obtain 31mpg one way and 29mpg coming back (used AC with more stop and go interruptions).
just pour it into the full-tank gas, isn't that the only way to apply it ?
Old 04-24-09, 10:11 AM
DSM2GS400
Driver

Seafoam is good stuff for sure. Another really good product that does the same thing but easier to find (in Canada anyways), is MCCC. Mitsubishi Combustion Chamber Cleaner. Had some lying around from my old Talon's and works like a charm
BTW That "smoke" coming out of your exhaust is all the junk that has accumulated in your CC burning off (this is a good thing).
Should see a slight increase in mileage and possibly an increase in responsivness and acceleration.
Just pull a vaccumn hose off the intake (intake mani not pipe), have a friend control engine speed to ensure the vehicle doesn't stall and either spray into hose or suck out of bottle (depending on what you bought). Adding it to the gas is only for Seafoam, and MCCC is only to be used for intake directly I believe.
Have also heard that on really high mileage engines that Seafoam/MCCC can actually cause a decrease in performance as the deposits that are removed/burnt off can sometimes be helping "seal" worn seals, etc...(a leaky valve somewhat sealed with deposits)
Old 04-24-09, 10:16 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by masboy
just pour it into the full-tank gas, isn't that the only way to apply it ?

Ah. Did you buy the 1 quart? I thought you ran a very concentrated solution (1 quart lucas + 6gal of gas or so). But hey as long as it works for you!
Old 04-24-09, 10:29 AM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

For those that have access to advanced auto, get the gallon size jug as it will save you considerable money. I think it's like $33/gallon.
Old 04-24-09, 03:24 PM
Trav7414
Intermediate

I have never use injector cleaner on my GS before. So it's ok so do it once awhile? I was reading some threads before and folks are not recommeded to use them? Is that true? Will they hurt your engine performances?
Old 04-24-09, 04:31 PM
VIPFAMILY
Rookie

People are weird about seafoam. Never had a problem with it if done properly it works great. I could see it maybe clogging the sensors or whatever and especially if a car is being sealed by its gunk lol Then yea prolly not good but it did great on the GS I was scared to do it on the 1uzfe but it did great all cars I have ever done it on nice difference.

Lucas is the only one i have noticed a little difference in anything reccommend that. But everyone has their own opinion this is mine
Old 04-24-09, 07:13 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Trav7414
I have never use injector cleaner on my GS before. So it's ok so do it once awhile? I was reading some threads before and folks are not recommeded to use them? Is that true? Will they hurt your engine performances?
Fuel Injector Cleaner is OK to use , and will improve your performance if there is something that can be cleaned and improved.

However, some products are better then others or will give you better cleaning for your $. A lot of products may have no effect except on your pocketbook. Addtionally, overuse of certain products can damage your car.
Search or go to BobIstheoilguy for a whole subforum just on fuel additives.
Old 04-24-09, 08:02 PM
Trav7414
Intermediate

Thanks raytseng. I guess I will try the Lucas brand for my car and see if anything different.
Old 04-24-09, 08:17 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

i personally don't use lucas so don't think because this thread mentioned it, that that is my recomendation, or your only option.

I personally use Redline SI-1, $63 for 12 bottles shipped from amazon, price works for me especially if you have a few cars or can split with some buddies.

I've heard Lucas, and Amsoil PI, and Gumout regane are also good for the price/improvement received. I'd happily use any of those, but it comes down to price (per amount of active ingredient, not just by volume) and availability. In particular Gumout and Lucas probably go on sale at your chain parts stores.

Quick Reply: first time using "Lucas" injector cleaner, got 378 miles on full tank