Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

P1349 VVT System Malfunction (Bank 1b) blocked oil control valve filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-12, 03:36 PM
wyatt1963
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for providing the great detail, especially the photos
Old 06-29-12, 01:28 PM
MR2-Mike
Driver

I replaced the valve today and my 2GS3 is still idling rough. Also my banjo bolt looks nothing like the ones in Hardrvin's pics.

The filter also doesn't seem to snap into anything. The motor is from an 2002 IS3.
Is it possible the person who did my swap reused the wrong bolt? Could this be causing issues?

I appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-30-12, 06:13 AM
drewthere
Driver School Candidate

Guys,

When I took out this bolt there was no filter? I bought the car used and I doubt the guy I bought the car from took it out on purpose. Could the filter be on the other side? I didn't see it.

What kind of damage do you think there could be? I'm going to order the filter.
Old 07-30-12, 03:17 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks fine to me, oil comes in thru the bolt, and out thru the filter, and thru a journal in the head to the VVTi Solenoid then into the camshaft and VVTi Pully.

Originally Posted by MR2-Mike
I replaced the valve today and my 2GS3 is still idling rough. Also my banjo bolt looks nothing like the ones in Hardrvin's pics.

The filter also doesn't seem to snap into anything. The motor is from an 2002 IS3.
Is it possible the person who did my swap reused the wrong bolt? Could this be causing issues?

I appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 11-15-12, 05:42 AM
carlover
Driver School Candidate

GREAT POST! Thanks for the help. Just did this on both banks of my 1MZ-FE with 335k miles on it. Its bullet proof design is gonna get another 335k miles!
Old 11-16-12, 09:43 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Dude 335K miles!!! And I thought I had a lot at 259K!!!

Originally Posted by carlover
GREAT POST! Thanks for the help. Just did this on both banks of my 1MZ-FE with 335k miles on it. Its bullet proof design is gonna get another 335k miles!
Old 11-19-12, 07:21 AM
carlover
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by az-dave
Dude 335K miles!!! And I thought I had a lot at 259K!!!
and I'm working from home these days so its barely getting any miles on it. Only thing it seems I have to replace is windshields because of all the crap dump trucks are allowed to spill all over the interstates in Atlanta while we are all doing 70-80 mph going 6 wide.
Old 11-19-12, 07:37 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

I hear ya! - Arizona allows our trucks to dump bricks all over the freeways, or they may as well with the amount of bulls-eyes my WS has! a windshield a year really!!!

and I'm working from home these days so its barely getting any miles on it. Only thing it seems I have to replace is windshields because of all the crap dump trucks are allowed to spill all over the interstates in Atlanta while we are all doing 70-80 mph going 6 wide.
Old 11-26-12, 06:12 AM
carlover
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by az-dave
I hear ya! - Arizona allows our trucks to dump bricks all over the freeways, or they may as well with the amount of bulls-eyes my WS has! a windshield a year really!!!
I have Autoglass on speedial... they luv it. I'm looking forward to the day when more freight is on rail and the roads return to cars. A retread came off the other day when my fiance was driving it, almost took my bumper cover off! The treads left their black imprint on the bumper cover, cracking it in two places and cracking the shielding underneath. City interstates suck...
Old 11-26-12, 08:02 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

I had a run-in with a retread about 7 yrs ago. cracked my front bumper, destroyed my wheel well plastic cover, ripped my fog light clean off, broke the lower air dam and grill insert and left a small crease in my fender.

over $1500 in damage from a cheap truck drivers tread coming off in front of me on a one lane overpass forcing me to hit it, or the barrier.

I have Autoglass on speedial... they luv it. I'm looking forward to the day when more freight is on rail and the roads return to cars. A retread came off the other day when my fiance was driving it, almost took my bumper cover off! The treads left their black imprint on the bumper cover, cracking it in two places and cracking the shielding underneath. City interstates suck...
Old 12-04-12, 11:34 AM
adphlIS300
Driver School Candidate

Whelp i posted to the wrong thread so sorry

Last edited by adphlIS300; 12-04-12 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-06-13, 07:32 PM
NucklBustr
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank You

Seems this post will always live on. Thank you to all for the fountain of knowledge I received here. Newbie to the mechanics of a Lexus & a mechanic woulda raped me. So far I have changed my oil with Mobil1 5/30 high mileage oil & of course a new oil filter, Spark Plugs & OCV filter. Cleared the CEL, warmed up my GS3 & took it for a cruise & 2 miles later it lit up again with the VSC lites & ran ruff. Brought it home & read for codes & the same 1349 code came up. My cousin told me to disconnect the battery's negative & turn the ignition on. I did & about a minute later i heard a click under the hood. Reconnected the battery & went for a few mile cruise & she ran great for my 3 mile ride. I got tired & went home. I'm expecting it to lite up again & if it does i'll change the ocv itself. Just wanted to thank everyone. I have had mechanics go thru the process of elimination on some of my vehicles before & they don't care if they don't get it rite the first time, they wanna get paid for their experiments. Well thanks to u guys i am having fun experimenting myself while saving $. Well not really having fun, its kind of an obsession to beat the CEL...Cheers
Old 01-12-13, 01:43 PM
NucklBustr
Driver School Candidate

Default still a problem

so after all the above that i did & none of it helping my problem i pulled the ocv & ran a test. i connected it directly to the battery & it reacts by going in & out so obviously its working correctly. now what? any ideas? hopefully someone is still reading this thread & can help. my only other thought is checking the timing with a timing light or possibly a bad fuel injector. PLEASE HELP
Old 01-13-13, 12:18 PM
NucklBustr
Driver School Candidate

or maybe a wrong code? i read somewhere someone with the same problem changed the oxygen sensor in the engine & that cleared his cel. thanks
Old 01-14-13, 07:56 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

When you tested the solenoid was the engine hot? (not warm, but full temp) The solenoid tends to start acting up after the engine is hot, and will behave somewhat normally when cool or warm.

The other thing that can be a problem is the VVTi pully assembly. Its a sophisticated piece of equipment, and runs off the oil pressure that the solenoid allows thru to it.

How long have you owned the car, how many miles etc?

Originally Posted by NucklBustr
or maybe a wrong code? i read somewhere someone with the same problem changed the oxygen sensor in the engine & that cleared his cel. thanks

Quick Reply: P1349 VVT System Malfunction (Bank 1b) blocked oil control valve filter