Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

P1349 VVT System Malfunction (Bank 1b) blocked oil control valve filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-09, 04:35 PM
Champstar
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where on a gs4 is the filter?
Old 12-21-09, 05:10 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Champstar
where on a gs4 is the filter?
+1 Where is it/are they on a 400??
Old 12-21-09, 06:13 PM
Jason T
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TxLexus400
does anyone know where this filter is located on a gs400 (V8)? any info will definitely help as im having a p1349 code.
Originally Posted by Champstar
how can i do this for my gs400?
i have that code aong with 6 other ones hopefully they are because of this
Originally Posted by Frankdorn
+1 Where is it/are they on a 400??
Not a issue for V8's as oil feed lines are internal

This filter is only a issue with 2JZ VVTi as this engine type has a added external line with this filter at bearing cap junction

Originally Posted by LudeNsoL
^^How exactly do I located this filter on a GS300? The diagram is kind of confusing me. LOL
Check the diagrams posted filter is located just bellow the VVTI solenoid you will need a 22mm spanner to remove if you cant find it please pay a professional

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
If it's really old I would just suggest you replace it instead of cleaning it. The filter housing is made of plastic and it might get brittle and break into pieces. Then those pieces might make it into the VVTi sysetm. They're only $5 a piece, so do what you will
Correct buy a new one if screen or plastic are damaged
Old 12-29-09, 05:19 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason T
Not a issue for V8's as oil feed lines are internal.
This filter is only a issue with 2JZ VVTi as this engine type has a added external line with this filter at bearing cap junction
Not sure this is accurate...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ttle-body.html
Old 01-07-10, 02:10 PM
Jason T
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
This filter is not a issue for V8's as oil feed lines are internal.

This filter is only a issue with 2JZ VVTi

Post your link referse to was fixed by pluging back in the oil control valve

Yes. You were right. The black connector was not pushed all the way together. Problem fixed.
P1656 means the OCV circuit (Oil Control Valve) is malfuntioning, or not receiving any signal. Take a look at the picture below.
Name:  IMG_1985Large.jpg
Views: 44445
Size:  97.3 KB
Old 09-26-10, 09:28 AM
Ericascar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone help me locate this VVT valve in a 1999 es300? I tried using the schematic above, but that isn't where it is on ericas car
Old 12-02-10, 10:21 PM
canond
Rookie

say that ones filter or that vvt is plugged, would it make ones car shake violently? and make the car misfire?
Old 01-06-11, 12:49 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have this code, but the filter is clear and I checked the timing belt and it's lined up perfectly, considering i changed it last month. I did pull it all apart just to recheck it though when this code popped up.
engine runs smooth once the rpms are up, but barely idles.
Old 01-09-11, 04:56 AM
Clifton
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jason T
This filter is not a issue for V8's as oil feed lines are internal.

This filter is only a issue with 2JZ VVTi

Post your link referse to was fixed by pluging back in the oil control valve

The filters are an issue on 1UZ's as well. They are just a PITA to get to. Anyone looking to do them should do the timing belt as well as you are in there. You need to remove the front cam towers on both sides. You might be able to loosen the sprocket bolts and slide the cam sprocket forward enough to get them out but I did mine all in one shot. I believe I have posted on the 400's before maybe even with pics.
Old 01-21-11, 03:05 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

i6 engine - checked my OCV filter and it was clean as a whistle. my CEL is still throwing code 1349 and misfire on all plugs. Had my VVTi pulley replaced along with tbelt and all seals just yesterday - $570 from my mechanic. The CEL and rough idle went away for just a day. In looking at the diagram I'm not sure if the tbelt needs to be removed again to replace the OCV. Can anyone tell me if so?
Old 01-21-11, 03:33 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

can anyone tell me the OCV part number for a 2jz engine? I have a hook up on parts just found out.
Old 01-21-11, 04:43 PM
Agent0024
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joshoowa
can anyone tell me the OCV part number for a 2jz engine? I have a hook up on parts just found out.
15330-46010 and you will only have to remove the timing belt cover to get access to the bolt holding the Oil Control Valve in place. It is a 1 connector, 1 bolt job and shouldn't take you more than 15min to replace.
Old 01-22-11, 07:47 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Agent0024
15330-46010 and you will only have to remove the timing belt cover to get access to the bolt holding the Oil Control Valve in place. It is a 1 connector, 1 bolt job and shouldn't take you more than 15min to replace.
Thank you bro!
Old 02-09-11, 07:53 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, its been a while since Ive logged in, but I started getting a very rough idle and random "Almost Limp Mode" about 2 months ago. And then I found this thread, and I thought Bingo...gotta be it.

When I say Very Rough Idle, I mean as in Extremely Rough Banging Gunna Blow the Engine apart. Most of the time if you rev it up its fine, and all of the time once your up to speed, the car runs perfectly. But it will go into a semi-limp-mode where maybe you get stuck at 35mph for 10 seconds and then it surges, or maybe it gets stuck off the line, and then surges after a 5-10 seconds of toying with the gas pedal. Its a completely different feeling than I had when my Throttle body Motor went bad 3 yrs ago.

My Symptoms were exactly as everyone else describes, so I decided to check my little filter last night. And to my dismay, the filter was clean. So, I appreciate everyone's help and posts, but Im gunna have to go searching probably for a bad camshaft sensor/loose-cricked wire, or an ignition problem.

As a side note - someone on this site said "Replace, dont clean the filter, its housing is made of plastic..." - The housing is made of machined aircraft aluminum, and the mesh is stainless steel...the filter will never go bad.
Old 02-10-11, 09:27 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Vvt ocv p1349/p1656

So, I took my OCV Filter out the other day, hoping maybe the filter was just plugged up. Not the case. Filter was clean and completely open.

I reset the computer and drove, and the extremely rough idle with intermittent non-throttle response was back. I plugged in the Code reader, and got the same codes everyone else gets:
P1656 - OCV Circuit Bank 1
P1349 - VVT System Bank 1

Im now fairly convinced its either the OCV electrical Valve itself, or the sensor.
The other possibility is the actual VVT Cam itself could have something inside of it causing it to not operate smoothly.
The Final thing would be the ECU.

Im going to be replacing the electrical OCV valve soon and will post my results once I do so.

For all those seeking part numbers, this thread has a diagram of the entire system with part numbers (Thank you Jason T!!)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ve-filter.html
Oil Control Valve: L15330-46011 (old) L15330-46010(new) / $121+tax - $163+tax Lexus Dealer in AZ. - Ouch. (Call around!)
Oil Control Valve: L15330-70010 / UK or Non-US Part number ?
OCV Filter: 15678-46020 / $8-$10 (its made from Machined Aluminum housing and SS mesh - If mesh isnt ripped, clean it, no need to replace)

Last edited by az-dave; 02-10-11 at 10:12 AM. Reason: More Part number variations....fun!

Quick Reply: P1349 VVT System Malfunction (Bank 1b) blocked oil control valve filter