Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

S&S Headers Update - No cracking on current design

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-09, 02:46 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So are there any more dynos showing the gain...or loss? Ive read the original thread which points to one dyno run, but nothing since.
Old 03-17-09, 02:53 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jjbenzo
So are there any more dynos showing the gain...or loss? Ive read the original thread which points to one dyno run, but nothing since.

There are quite a bit of dyno run on these. Check the SC forum.. Rock-A-Lex will dyno his soon too. I will not dyno yet until I get the apexi neo straighten out. Without dyno, I can feel the pull all through the rpm range. It just keeps going and going.
Old 03-17-09, 03:05 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sam430
I will not dyno yet until I get the apexi neo straighten out.
Did you do a baseline dyno before you installed the headers so we can know the actual gain after apexi + S&S?

Stock HP measurements can vary by more than 10HP, depending on the type dyno used, the atmospheric conditions, and the type of dyno used, Mustang, dynojet, etc.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 03-17-09 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-17-09, 03:13 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Did you do a baseline dyno before you installed the headers so we can know the actual gain after apexi + S&S?

Stock HP measurements can vary by more than 10HP, depending on the type dyno used, the atmospheric conditions, and the type of dyno used, Mustang, dynojet, etc.

I did a dyno with SRT intake as the base. I didn't get all the information...just the peak hp and tq.

I will probably dyno with SS+SRT then tune with neo.
Old 03-17-09, 07:23 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

We had to grind off the ends of the catalytic converter, the round ends where the donut seats... it wouldn't go into the headers all the way. It's better to grind the cat than to dremel the inner hole of the headers (mild steel). No more leaks.

However, the mid section was not installed to prevent pressure onto exhaust... the thing that is holding up the two pipes... Well, got CEL... don't know what it is now. It was fine for two days until today.

Last edited by sam430; 03-18-09 at 12:40 AM.
Old 03-18-09, 09:49 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

We had to grind off the ends of the catalytic converter, the round ends where the donut seats... it wouldn't go into the headers all the way. It's better to grind the cat than to dremel the inner hole of the headers (mild steel). No more leaks.

However, the mid section was not installed to prevent pressure onto exhaust... the thing that is holding up the two pipes... Well, got CEL... don't know what it is now. It was fine for two days until today.
There is supposed to be enough room for the lip of the catalyst to fit inside the collector of the header. Just how much interference was there? Your choice to surface the cat flange is reasonable but you should not have had to completely removed the lip. Not critical just curious.

When you say the "mid section" was not installed... do you mean the catalyst brace at the base of the transmission? If so, what "pressure" on the exhaust do you mean? I would be more concerned about supporting the weight of the cats and the exhaust. That section is in fact part of the exhaust support. Without it something is bound to fail. Headers, cats, something. Please clarify.

The CEL might be a leak somewhere or a bad wire or connection for the oxy sensor. Keep us posted.
Old 03-18-09, 12:43 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jbrady
There is supposed to be enough room for the lip of the catalyst to fit inside the collector of the header. Just how much interference was there? Your choice to surface the cat flange is reasonable but you should not have had to completely removed the lip. Not critical just curious.
The lip was not completely removed...just some of it (?)...enough so that it fits nice and tight.

When you say the "mid section" was not installed... do you mean the catalyst brace at the base of the transmission? If so, what "pressure" on the exhaust do you mean? I would be more concerned about supporting the weight of the cats and the exhaust. That section is in fact part of the exhaust support. Without it something is bound to fail. Headers, cats, something. Please clarify.
yes, the brace. I should put it back on because there would be movements... I was thinking to leave it off because it didn't fully tighten all the way...atleast there will be support when I put it back on.

The CEL might be a leak somewhere or a bad wire or connection for the oxy sensor. Keep us posted.
The CEL is P0420 bank 1... I got the shop guy to clear it. (Gonna get my own scanner)
Old 03-18-09, 01:01 PM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recommend putting the brace back on....and modifying it, if necessary to fit properly and support the cat/exhaust system. You don't want anymore stress being added to the headers and the brace does help. I am an early adapter and can testify to the requirement of the brace ( I won't go into detail here ). jbrady's pictures are actually mine when I did my install a few years ago. Those pics are of the first gen headers.
Old 03-18-09, 01:13 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TeeLex
I would recommend putting the brace back on....and modifying it, if necessary to fit properly and support the cat/exhaust system. You don't want anymore stress being added to the headers and the brace does help. I am an early adapter and can testify to the requirement of the brace ( I won't go into detail here ). jbrady's pictures are actually mine when I did my install a few years ago. Those pics are of the first gen headers.
Thanks for the heads up. Anything else you've experienced (troubles) throughtout the mods? anything failed early (cat)?
Old 03-18-09, 01:49 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did a dyno with SRT intake as the base. I didn't get all the information...just the peak hp and tq.
It will be interesting to see the dyno with just SRT and then compare after adding the S&S. I believe we did dyno's on 3 cars with different intakes and then added S&S. One car (mine) we switched from K& N w/ S&S to SRT w/ S&S.

The results showed that the biggest overall HP gains were with the SRT / S&S combination.

What would be really interesting to try is to dyno with S&S only, and using the stock intake/exhaust (muffler) to see how the S&S would perform as the sole mod.

I think the header and intake are somewhat dependent on each other to achieve the best overall cumulative HP gain.
Old 03-18-09, 05:18 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

p0420 returned after a reset. I'm wondering if it's okay to drive like that...it's not affecting the fuel mixture right? Note that we put in a generic O2 sensor (wire spliced) on the headers, before the cat, on the passenger side. It could be wired wrong but I'm not sure that code correspond to the right location. Bank 1. CEL didn't show up for a few days until yesterday.

Last edited by sam430; 03-18-09 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-18-09, 07:17 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Freeze frame data ( i have no idea)

DTC for which Freeze Frame was Stored P0420
Fuel System 1 Status Closed Loop
Fuel System 2 Status Closed Loop
Calculated LOAD Value 60.39 %
Engine Coolant Temp 194.00 °F
Short Term Fuel Trim - Bank 1 2.34 %
Long Term Fuel Trim - Bank 1 -8.59 %
Short Term Fuel Trim - Bank 2 1.56 %
Long Term Fuel Trim - Bank 2 -10.94 %
Engine RPM 1,723.25 rpm
Vehicle Speed Sensor 22.99 mph
Intake Air Temperature 104.00 °F

Emission status light turned from scanner turned yellow(1st code read) to red(current code read after reset)... if that means anything.
And on my way to buy this scanner... I destroyed my Front Right and Front Rear G35 rims and tires. LOL. life is great! I love it!

Last edited by sam430; 03-18-09 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-20-09, 11:45 AM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. Anything else you've experienced (troubles) throughtout the mods? anything failed early (cat)?
Nope, other than cracking the passenger side header, mine have been doing very well. In my opinion, this is a very good mod and well worth the trouble of the install ( of course I did it myself, so no $$ spent on install ). When you actually see the 430 header it will become evident why the S&S headers give significant gains.
Old 03-20-09, 12:08 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Nope, other than cracking the passenger side header, mine have been doing very well. In my opinion, this is a very good mod and well worth the trouble of the install ( of course I did it myself, so no $$ spent on install ). When you actually see the 430 header it will become evident why the S&S headers give significant gains.
Yes...I agree that this mod is worth it. I've seen the GS430 exhaust...it's truely the reasons why the HP is the same as the GS400. This upgrade will release it's true potential and I'd recommend it to all the gs430'r...

The passenger crack, was it a 1st gen SS or 2nd gen SS?
Old 03-20-09, 12:21 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

The passenger crack, was it a 1st gen SS or 2nd gen SS?
Those pics are of the first gen headers.
there you go..... no problems i have heard reported on the second generation of headers

Quick Reply: S&S Headers Update - No cracking on current design