Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Running one set of CATS. Will I destroy the environment/pass smog inspections?

Old 09-19-08, 07:05 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running one set of CATS. Will I destroy the environment/pass smog inspections?

It's been a while since I've posted on CL. I've been reading up on the different exhaust and intake setups, but could not a find a concise answer to my question, so I figured I'd create a whole new thread (don't flame me). Here is the deal, I am considering installing a true dual exhaust system with only the primary CATS, will doing so be detrimental to the environment and will I pass a VA smog test? Thanks in advance
Old 09-19-08, 07:08 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You should pass the electronic, but if they look under the car FAIL... If you drive a car your hurting the enviroment!
Old 09-19-08, 07:13 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HKS350
You should pass the electronic, but if they look under the car FAIL... If you drive a car your hurting the enviroment!
QFT, lol. You know what I mean though... right? let me be more specific, will driving with one set of CATS on this particular vehicle increase my carbon footprint exponentially? Will it be comparable to that of a gas guzzling led sled pushrod v8? How often do they give visual inspections for new cars? Especially seemingly clean japanese luxo barges. Out of the many inspections I've had in my day, I've only had a guy lift up my old 97 avalon up once. Probably better off with the fsport exhaust.

Last edited by NovaIS350; 09-19-08 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-19-08, 08:29 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

The Secondary cats are what makes our Lexus ULEV II - which stands for Ultra-Low Emissions Vehicle II...

As long as the primary CAT's remain in place the environment is SAFE..

Of course any time you make these kind of exhaust modifications, many law enforcement agencies can be party poopers at times..

Joe Z
Old 09-19-08, 08:02 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,834 Likes on 2,323 Posts

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
QFT, lol. You know what I mean though... right? let me be more specific, will driving with one set of CATS on this particular vehicle increase my carbon footprint exponentially? Will it be comparable to that of a gas guzzling led sled pushrod v8? How often do they give visual inspections for new cars? Especially seemingly clean japanese luxo barges. Out of the many inspections I've had in my day, I've only had a guy lift up my old 97 avalon up once. Probably better off with the fsport exhaust.
Your carbon footprint (whatever that really means) won't change a single gram. Only the amount of toxins formed using the same number of carbon molecules will change.
Old 09-19-08, 08:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Joe Z
The Secondary cats are what makes our Lexus ULEV II - which stands for Ultra-Low Emissions Vehicle II...

As long as the primary CAT's remain in place the environment is SAFE..

Of course any time you make these kind of exhaust modifications, many law enforcement agencies can be party poopers at times..

Joe Z
This is completely untrue. The evaporative emissions system is what makes the car a ULEVII. Meeting tailpipe emissions is child's play. Meeting the evaporative emissions standards requires a whole lot of stuff like the vacuum pump that tests your evap system 5 hours after you shut the car down. It is these evap integrity checks that are key to the ULEVII achievement, not the cats or the tailpipe emissions.
Old 09-20-08, 02:51 AM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

still no answer yet to this question: so if the secondary cats are removed, will it pass smog test? I heard people choose axle back exhaust mods because they want to keep the secondary cats to pass smog. can I conclude that cars with secondary cats removed fail smog?

i myself am curious
Old 09-20-08, 03:33 PM
DevJ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well considering JoeZ pretty much made an exhaust for the is350 im going to assume he knows what he's talking about so i'll agree with him lol
Old 09-21-08, 02:49 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ Well I guess I was wrong...

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
This is completely untrue. The evaporative emissions system is what makes the car a ULEVII. Meeting tailpipe emissions is child's play. Meeting the evaporative emissions standards requires a whole lot of stuff like the vacuum pump that tests your evap system 5 hours after you shut the car down. It is these evap integrity checks that are key to the ULEVII achievement, not the cats or the tailpipe emissions.
Woops Sorry Lance... I figured the 4 CATS helped in the ULEV II status...
Old 09-23-08, 04:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by tfz_hebe89
still no answer yet to this question: so if the secondary cats are removed, will it pass smog test? I heard people choose axle back exhaust mods because they want to keep the secondary cats to pass smog. can I conclude that cars with secondary cats removed fail smog?

i myself am curious
You will not pass California smog checks without having ALL the OEM cats in their correct places. Simple, clear, concise.
Old 09-23-08, 04:52 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Reducing "carbon footprint" is a very subjective subject. The only way to "reduce" the carbon footprint would be to use more renewable products in your car. Like - cardboard door panels, a more recyclable products.
Better example : If you were to set your car on fire- And before it was set on fire you removed all the recyclable products off of it- How much carbon would be emitted by your burning car. The more recyclable products removed would mean less to burn and less carbon footprint. The fuel that is burned and flows out of your tail pipe is not renewable so it is not considered in a "carbon footprint" equation
This is the whole "GO GREEN" theme your hearing now days

Last edited by HKS350; 09-23-08 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-23-08, 05:49 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey NOVA... I live in NOVA and I can tell you for a fact that you will pass emissions without the secondary cats in place. They will only do checks through the OBDII port and since the secondary cats are not monitored it will not throw any sort of error causing a failure.

As far as carbon footprint..if you are even asking then you probably shouldn't consider messing with the cats. Seriously though with the secondary cats out Lance was correct about not adding a single gram of carbon, but a tiny bit more toxins of which the primary cats were not able to burn out.