Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

VSC and VSC Off Lights - Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-15, 03:06 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by az-dave
Good news, a few things:

- Please post the Recall TSB number for us all, so people can be informed when they go to the dealer.

- The TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) typically is NOT the problem experienced in this thread...teh TPS is a small easily changed sensor on the front of the Throttle Body and is not in any way related to the Accelerator Pedal Sensor (AKA Lever Assembly) which is on the back side of the throttle body on older models and at the gas pedal on newer models.

The LIMP mode is not related to the dangerous issue when cars were accelerating out of control a few years back (a media blitz against Toyota if I recall correctly during the middle of the GM/Ford/Chrysler Bailouts - Yeah Ford didnt "get money, but they got a $300M 0% interest "loan" that you and I will never get)

My 2 cents. Please post that TSB/Recall number if you have it handy.
Originally Posted by CrooperJ
The information for the customer support program can be found here:

http://www.toyotaelsettlement.com/Home/FAQ#8d
After going through pages after pages of this thread and taking notes on what parts I need and trying to understand the difference between APP and TPS and the differential diagnosis you guys are posting, this is a relief...

About this Customer Support Program, does anyone know if P1125 (TPS) and P1126 (magnetic clutch) would be covered by this program? I'd think these two codes fall under the covered parts of (iii) accelerator pedal assembly or (v) throttle body assembly...
Old 07-20-15, 05:54 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
After going through pages after pages of this thread and taking notes on what parts I need and trying to understand the difference between APP and TPS and the differential diagnosis you guys are posting, this is a relief...

About this Customer Support Program, does anyone know if P1125 (TPS) and P1126 (magnetic clutch) would be covered by this program? I'd think these two codes fall under the covered parts of (iii) accelerator pedal assembly or (v) throttle body assembly...
Thanks for this info.. Today I go to the lexus dealer to see what in the services department say to me about it. Thanks again .
Old 08-08-15, 07:17 PM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Today I got the 1126 code, the throttle body issue. I could not move the vehicle without it stalling. Thank God, I knew about the "Toyota Economic Loss Settlement" and I've read about other members getting it fixed for free of charge by the dealer. I called Lexus customer care and was referred to the law offices of the attorneys that are handling the law suit. Lexus of Austin service dept. advised that if the part is the throttle body, then it would fall under the settlement and would be covered.
Old 08-11-15, 03:48 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm no expert but perhaps your brake master is defective. If you're hearing the buzzing noise, it coming from the BMC. When my car went into limp mode, the check engine light came on, P1120.

It can be a combo problem where your TB and BMC will need replacement.
Old 08-11-15, 05:23 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

undo the harness on the TCM and check resistance with a multimeter. There is a PDF file buried in this thread that has the resistance limits listed.
Old 08-11-15, 07:00 PM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by burny
undo the harness on the TCM and check resistance with a multimeter. There is a PDF file buried in this thread that has the resistance limits listed.

Update: My issue was my MAF sensor. I was using a $70 Dorman from Rockauto (never using Dorman again as it was only one year old). If you unplug the MAF sensor it will put the car in "Safe Mode" which will allow further diagnosis of other parts and my throttle body was good after all. When the MAF was connected the car shut off, but when it was unplugged it ran good. I replaced the Dorman MAF with an OEM one from Lexus ($300) one and now the vehicle is back to running silky smooth.

Last edited by wbmx1981; 08-14-15 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-04-15, 11:07 AM
kit cat

Originally Posted by Coco-bun

Update - Just got this done by the dealership. Labor and parts were covered by this Customer Support Program. I'll post more details later.
Old 09-23-15, 06:52 AM
ronald1967
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 99 gs400 when driving from 0 to 20 my car has a real bad jerk I took it to a transmission shop thinking i needed to change my transmisson screen they did a diagnostic and found nothing wrong they said it has something to do with my acceleration sensor can anyone give me a solution on what I need to fix this problem.
Old 09-23-15, 08:24 AM
kit cat

Originally Posted by ronald1967
I have a 99 gs400 when driving from 0 to 20 my car has a real bad jerk I took it to a transmission shop thinking i needed to change my transmisson screen they did a diagnostic and found nothing wrong they said it has something to do with my acceleration sensor can anyone give me a solution on what I need to fix this problem.
if it's the acceleration position sensor or throttle position sensor, it should throw a check engine light. Go to autozone, have the code read, confirm.
Old 10-01-15, 12:56 PM
poloSTL
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by drikener
My 99 gs300 is at the dealer getting fixed for no cost right now under the settlement terms. Had the vcs and engine lights on and in limp home mode. Anyone who owns a car on the list regardless of miles. This stays with the car, not the owner. Read 7D in the settlement document. This is in affect until August 2016! They are replacing the TB and the ECU, even gave me a loaner RX350 to drive.

i just confirmed i'm eligible with Lexus cust care. I have exact same issues but have not scanned for codes??? Can i just go to dealership and they can run codes and get work completed??

can't believe i'm getting this done for free
Old 10-02-15, 12:13 PM
poloSTL
Driver School Candidate

update...

got scan done and codes P1120 and P1121

WHICH INDICATES accelerator position sensor circuits

So going to go to Lexus Dealer Monday to get fixed!

Thank god i came back to this great forum to find out about the Toyota Settlement.

Everyone here have a great weekend!
Old 10-05-15, 02:39 PM
LeadGS300
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for sharing.
How did you confirm eligibility?
Also, did you get the repair done, and did it fix the issue?

Originally Posted by poloSTL
update...

got scan done and codes P1120 and P1121

WHICH INDICATES accelerator position sensor circuits

So going to go to Lexus Dealer Monday to get fixed!

Thank god i came back to this great forum to find out about the Toyota Settlement.

Everyone here have a great weekend!
Old 10-07-15, 12:59 PM
TonyPHL
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus paid for repairs

Hi all, I wanted to add my story as a way to say thanks to the people on this thread for all the great info.

A few months ago I bought a 2000 300GS with a 180K miles on it. I wanted a reliable car for city driving. At first everything was fine, but after a couple of weeks of normal use... Check Engine light went on, followed within a day by the dreaded VSC lights and limp mode.

I thought "Oh great here comes the money pit." I took it to my local mechanic who's a great and reasonable guy who ran the codes which came up with O2 sensors and the Accelerator Position Sensor. I didn't much care about the O2 sensors, but the APS, I bought online from a Lexus dealer for $350.

The mechanic installed the APS and the car ran great for one day, then... warning lights and limp mode again.

This time I got on the web to do some research and came across this thread. After reading the whole thread I found the links to the Toyota Class Action Settlement website and figured what the heck, I'll give it a shot. So I printed out the relevant pages and made an appointment at my local Lexus dealer to get the car inspected.

They inspection cost me $62.50 (1/2 hour of labor) and came back with the same 1121 code for the APS plus the O2 sensors. At this point the service writer is trying to talk me into $1800 worth of repairs. I showed him the print out from the Class Action site and the guy looked at me like I was crazy. I stayed polite and told him to please check it out on his end, and that I would also contact Lexus and would be in touch. To this day I've never heard back from that guy.

On the way home the car dropped back into limp mode, so I stopped at the garage and asked my mechanic to check the Air Idle Control Valve that has been mentioned on this thread as the culprit part. He called me back within an hour saying that's the one. The connections had cone bad on the part, but he had gerry-rigged it back together just to see if that would do the trick. It did, for a while.

In the meantime I called Lexus corporate. The first person I got had no idea what I was talking about, but put me on hold and asked a superior who got on the line and assigned me a claim number. It took about 2 weeks of my being persistent, but finally last week they called me to say they were sending me a check for the Accelerator Position Sensor that I bought online (I had sent them copies of the receipt), and that they would authorize my taking the car to the dealership for another APS install. I told them thanks for the check, but I didn't see the need for another APS since the one I had in there was brand new. I was going for the full throttle body assembly.

At this point things got a little dicier. The Lexus corporate person started weaseling saying that they could only go by what the dealership was telling them, and according to the dealership, the problem was the APS, but since the car also had these bad O2 sensors, and those WEREN'T covered by the Class Action Settlement, and they really couldn't be sure what the problem was etc...

So I said: OK send me the refund check for the APS, and I'll get in touch with the dealership to make an appointment for the repairs. With the money from that I bought all 4 O2 sensors, and the Air Idle Control Valve and had everything installed by my mechanic. The car is running great. If the limp mode problem returns (which I seriously doubt) I can now take the car to the Lexus dealer and make it their problem using the case number I've been assigned, since the O2 sensors have now been replaced.

So bottom line:

1) Yes Lexus will repair your car if you have this problem.
2) Yes, the bad part is the Air Idle Control Valve, NOT the APS.

Thanks again to all who contributed to this thread.
Old 10-08-15, 12:55 PM
Goosesedan
Rookie

So my car codes are P0300, 301, 302 and 303...........also P0171, 0174, 0430. But i have the Limp Mode. VSC light, CEL all on. Does this have anything to do with the Throttle body or the settlement? My dealership is willing to look at and fix it for free if it is related to the Settlement.
Old 10-08-15, 05:44 PM
keepit
Driver School Candidate

So glad i just found this thread, i replaced the APS and everything was great for about 3 days just got a P1128 code for a failed throttle control motor. Have one on hand but going to try and push it on lexus and see what i can get might put the old APS back on as well and see what i get.

Quick Reply: VSC and VSC Off Lights - Limp Mode