Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

VSC and VSC Off Lights - Limp Mode

Old 04-11-15, 04:22 PM
ls400King
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer no go for 98 GS 300

Limp in a GS 300 1998. All signs point to Throttle motor. Actually tried the position sensor first.

Attempted to utilize dealer they gave me a dozen excuses. Talked to CSP who told me there was notes on the 1998 GS. Then received a call telling me it's by Vin number and it's not electronic throttle. I was like well what is it? Rudely not electronic... So I got it towed to another mechanic. Now going to buy throttle body motor and get the car running. Anyone else hearing this guidance on the 1998 GS300.

We also did get a 5 dollar check so my battle is not over. Tells me I'm in the class. Chris
Old 04-23-15, 03:11 AM
joshyee
Driver School Candidate

I've read all 33 pages of this. Decided I need to buy a throttle Body Lever Sensor part #22060-46010 for 210 om amazon.

Kept reading the pages and learned about this settlement. Has anyone recently in 2015 got this issue fixed for free at a dealership? I'm reading the settlement and it says something about the people included has owned/leased the models included on or before a date in 09 I think it said. I just bought this car last year, are they going to ask for proof to see if I owned this car back then? I'll probably be giving it a shot anyways but I'm just curious to see if anyone else was able to do it sucessfully.

I too have a 99 gs300 who recently started to go into limp mode. Check engine light on only. Hard shifts from park to drive. Cutting car off fixes the car sometimes. Flooring it, takes me 30mph tops. Only happens when car is warm. Also another not mentioned at all I'm this post is that my VSC button doesn't work.
Old 04-27-15, 12:51 AM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

You describe pretty all the symptoms I had. Initially when the problem began, I would floor it and for a second it acts like it wants to launch but then Nothing. Almost seemed like the car died. But i suppose it was just my expectations of a launch didn't happen. Then the vsc vsc off light. Then limp mode. Changed the TPS first. Didn't do Jack. So did the TPPS and it's fine since. Only problem I have now is hesitation on acceleration at high speeds. Could be my MAF sensor that needs to be cleaned. Been too busy tho. Will report back when I do clean it.
Old 05-19-15, 03:25 PM
lildorsey1
Driver School Candidate

Default gs300 no cel

my 2001 gs300 only throws p1349 and p1656 ocv related codes and just revs high while barley accelerating.
Old 05-20-15, 07:40 AM
drikener
Driver School Candidate

Smile gs300 throttle fix

My 99 gs300 is at the dealer getting fixed for no cost right now under the settlement terms. Had the vcs and engine lights on and in limp home mode. Anyone who owns a car on the list regardless of miles. This stays with the car, not the owner. Read 7D in the settlement document. This is in affect until August 2016! They are replacing the TB and the ECU, even gave me a loaner RX350 to drive.

Last edited by drikener; 05-20-15 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-21-15, 05:20 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep us posted because it's happening to my car.

What's weird is that it doesn't go into limp mode all the time when the vsc lights come on.

Every morning, the lights would reset and when it warms up to normal operating temperature, the vsc lights would trip.

Again, sometime limp mode sometimes it drives normal.

Can someone chime in?
Old 05-28-15, 10:24 AM
lildorsey1
Driver School Candidate

Default link

do you have a link to the settlement
Old 05-28-15, 10:31 AM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

https://www.toyotaelsettlement.com/

That's what I referenced to my Lexus dealer. They ended up cheaping out a bit and ordered the throttle motor/clutch assembly from a LX 470 and put it on my LS. I guess it's the same part, but for the LS they don't list the individual motors, just the entire throttle assembly for replacement.

Either way, took them 3 weeks to figure this out so I drove around in their ES 350 with 2k miles on it during that time...I didn't really rush them...figured they'd want their loaner back eventually!
Old 06-01-15, 03:56 PM
ls400King
Driver School Candidate

Default Fixed

So after ordering a broken Throttle Body (ebay) and changing all items my mechanic finally agreed to change the idle (throttle body) motor. After this no more limp mode.

We have a 98GS300. Of course Lexus wanted to charge me $700 for the Throttle Position Sensor. Then they would have went to the Throttle Body Assembly for another $2000. I brought the car to them and told them its 1120 and 1121, but its not the sensor. I will never bring my Lexus's to another dealer. They actually told me we have to troubleshoot it, which was $150 and then informed me it was the TPS. IDIOTS!

I actually had them troubleshoot it because Lexus SMS told me it might be under the recall. After much debate they told me it was not under recall (received $5 check) because some GS300 1998's were different VINS and not electronic assemblys. After jerking around with them for 2 weeks I wanted car fixed. What a joke.
Old 06-01-15, 04:13 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

My CEL is P1120, Lexus IS fixing this on their dime and they are replacing the accelerator pedal position sensor as we speak. I hope this will finally fix my limp mode problem.

Keep in mind, the CEL has to be pulled by Lexus to confirm the code. What I did was go to a pep boys to get the CEL read and if it's confirmed p1120 or p1121, it will be stored.

When Lexus does their scan, the code(s) will come up. They will fix this under they "customer care program" since no recall was published.

Good luck to all.

Last edited by corkycal; 06-01-15 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-02-15, 07:38 PM
ingram67
Driver School Candidate

Default toyota settlement for accelerator pedal sensor

I am wondering if anyone has any info on getting their Lexus fixed via settlement? My 99 LX 470 threw accelerator pedal sensor code but dealership told me i needed entire throttle assembly (for $1800). Yet, after bringing to their attention the settlement terms (they initially said my vehicle wasn't included and after much back and forth declared, well yes, your vehicle is covered - which I already told them), they changed their tune and stated now my vehicle only needs the accelerator pedal sensor, not the entire throttle assembly. Funny when it was me paying for it, I needed $1800 worth of work done, but since Lexus is picking up the cost, now I only need $600. Anyone have any input on how to get Lexus to fix throttle assembly on their dime?
Also, I moved several times after settlement. Has anyone gotten a check from the settlement? If so, from whom?
Thanks All!
Old 07-07-15, 08:33 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by trishamacc
you can bring your car to a lexus dealership and its a recall as well as the front wheel lower ball joints snap and completely removes the tire from car and can be deadly [depeneding how fast your driving] thank GOD i was just getting off highway when mine happened and lexus fixed this for free due to it being a recall!
Does anyone know where the ball joint replacement is documented?
Old 07-13-15, 05:38 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have read, read, read and even I call the Dealer Lexus here in central florida. Even I call today the 1-800 Lexus Comporate number and what the dealer and corporate told me an exposure is that there are currently no recall for my car GS300 05. As a number of you guys, the dealer have changed the throttle body and the ecu for free? Someone of you guys can clarify this to me just a little better of what all this pages in this thread, several of you guys have said that have changed in the dealer the tb for free?? I found in my car a few month a go a air hose broken in the intake manifold, I replace the hose and the car improved by several days but, today my car turned to the limp mode again. Someone of you guys that the dealer change the tb for free, could give me the correct information as how the dealer change for free the tb and if this is only for certain models of the lexus?? I'm confused if this is for only certain models because, I want to solve the problem that I have in my car and the Lexus dealer did not charge a penny to me for making this change in my tb? PLEASE HELP

Last edited by Mcon; 07-13-15 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-14-15, 04:52 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

It is not a recall. It is a goodwill safety fix stemming from the settlement.
The following users liked this post:
Vogel1118 (06-16-18)
Old 07-14-15, 10:32 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by burny
It is not a recall. It is a goodwill safety fix stemming from the settlement.
Thanks for the information.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VSC and VSC Off Lights - Limp Mode