Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

VSC and VSC Off Lights - Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-14, 01:31 AM
zman32
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4doorscore
Hey guys it's a pretty random question but I'm sure some of you guys have gone through this. I need to replace the 3 screws that screw the throttle control motor in because mine are pretty stripped. Anyone know where to find these or the specs (length, thread pitch).
I did that to one of the TCM screws too. I ended up using a dremel to turn it into a flathead screw to get it out.
Old 01-09-14, 07:51 AM
4doorscore
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zman32
I did that to one of the TCM screws too. I ended up using a dremel to turn it into a flathead screw to get it out.
The problem isn't getting them out as they are out now but I don't want to use the same stripped screws again so wondering if anyone know where to obtain these screws.
Old 01-09-14, 07:39 PM
CrooperJ
Driver School Candidate

Just got the car back from Lexus of Seattle. Had a P1120 code and intermittent limp mode with CEL, VSC and VSC off lights. I also had C1224 and C1223. Not sure if related.

They replaced the lever assy, throttle/accelerator pedal position sensor under the Toyota settlement so no cost to me. Hopefully the limp mode doesn't come back.

On the drive back the car would gather a lot more speed on the freeway than before and the tacho seemed to want to creeep to 1800rpm. Not sure what the deal is with that..
Old 01-09-14, 10:41 PM
zman32
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CrooperJ
Just got the car back from Lexus of Seattle. Had a P1120 code and intermittent limp mode with CEL, VSC and VSC off lights. I also had C1224 and C1223. Not sure if related.

They replaced the lever assy, throttle/accelerator pedal position sensor under the Toyota settlement so no cost to me. Hopefully the limp mode doesn't come back.

On the drive back the car would gather a lot more speed on the freeway than before and the tacho seemed to want to creeep to 1800rpm. Not sure what the deal is with that..
nice. which year is your GS?

anyone know which pin sends a signal to the Throttle control Motor?

Last edited by zman32; 01-10-14 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-10-14, 11:49 AM
CrooperJ
Driver School Candidate

I have a '98.
Old 01-10-14, 01:33 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

man, they should be reimbursing those of us who have already bought and replaced this crap. I'll bet Lexus now won't be replacing entire TB's and will determine which part is bad and replace that. This is what they should have been doing during trouble shooting before the lawsuit.
Old 01-11-14, 11:51 AM
4doorscore
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys if you guys need a throttle control motor part number 89672-30020, I have one I bought new and dont need as the problem was the apps. It has 2 miles on it and still new condition, pm if interested.
Old 01-13-14, 11:28 AM
sidehide
Driver School Candidate

is the Idle control motor ,TPS and Pedal sensor usually what goes bad...
my mechanic wants to change whole throttle body because there is no engine code..

dose the butterfly ever go bad...
Old 01-13-14, 01:47 PM
dcz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same problem, still. I have posted up on the thread a few times.... I just called the lexus dealership about the "Recall" but they informed me there wasn't one. What it is classified as is an extended warranty on the TPS and the motor mechanism that's discussed. Not the lever assembly one from what the woman told me. It covers 99- 2010 models and the warranty ends in 3 years. I just have to make an appointment and get my car there and they will look at it for free. We will see if this fixes it. I am so tired of my GS having problems I am buying a new car this week...
Old 01-22-14, 08:13 AM
99gs713
Driver

who here now the process to take it to lexus to get this fixed by them for free as there is a lawsuit i am having the same issue limp mode vsc lights off , any info about this would help or who here has done it and got lexus to fix it for free from the lawsuit
Old 01-22-14, 10:21 PM
zman32
Driver School Candidate

Just gone through 2 sets of throttle bodies (including supporting parts) and even a new TCM from toyota,
all the wiring seems to be fine AND its still not working.
So i'm gonna suss out an ECU repairer or maybe just bite the bullet and take it to lexus.

Anyone in Sydney need a whole throttle body assembly? lol

edit: Anyone else fixed their throttle issues by replacing/repairing their ECU?

Last edited by zman32; 01-23-14 at 12:15 AM.
Old 01-28-14, 02:15 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just change parts until something is fixed, or you run outta money...

Originally Posted by sidehide
is the Idle control motor ,TPS and Pedal sensor usually what goes bad...
my mechanic wants to change whole throttle body because there is no engine code..

dose the butterfly ever go bad...
Old 01-28-14, 02:19 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Do this first: Replace the OCV Valve...1 screw, 5 minutes, $40.
Check out this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ml#post8352305

If that doesnt work, and youve tried the repairs in this thread, your left with much larger issues to chase as the cause.

Originally Posted by zman32
Just gone through 2 sets of throttle bodies (including supporting parts) and even a new TCM from toyota,
all the wiring seems to be fine AND its still not working.
So i'm gonna suss out an ECU repairer or maybe just bite the bullet and take it to lexus.

Anyone in Sydney need a whole throttle body assembly? lol

edit: Anyone else fixed their throttle issues by replacing/repairing their ECU?
Old 01-28-14, 02:24 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

The process is this:
1. Someone please post the TSB number on this thread so people with this problem have something to print.
(I dont know the TSB number, cuz Ive been repaired for years now and havnt had the need to look for one)

2. Print it up.

3. Walk into Lexus Dealer and hand the printed TSB to the Svc Manager with a smile.

4. If you dont do that, then the Dealer will more than likely treat you like dirt on the floor because your too cheap and poor that your fixing a car rather than buying a new one or paying for huge repairs.

I believe the TSB involved is the one where a few Toyotas got stuck and kept reving the engine...like 1 in 1 million cars, and GM, FORD and Chrysler were getting bailed out and paid big money to make a 1 in million chance into a national media story. Cuz nothing ever breaks on those mfgr vehicles.

Originally Posted by 99gs713
who here now the process to take it to lexus to get this fixed by them for free as there is a lawsuit i am having the same issue limp mode vsc lights off , any info about this would help or who here has done it and got lexus to fix it for free from the lawsuit
Old 01-28-14, 05:36 PM
zman32
Driver School Candidate

thanks Dave, i'll look into it.

Would you happen to know where/what the key reader looks like? the part that detects the transponder inside the key.

Quick Reply: VSC and VSC Off Lights - Limp Mode