Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

nos?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-07, 02:06 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

And the box
Attached Thumbnails nos?-random-motorpics-007.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
GrizzlyMan (04-18-21)
Old 12-04-07, 02:08 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Our spark plugs
Attached Thumbnails nos?-random-motorpics-004.jpg  
GrizzlyMan (04-18-21)
Old 12-04-07, 02:10 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

What is this screen for behind the throttle body? BTW this weekends project for me will be a throttle body port and polish.
Attached Thumbnails nos?-random-motorpics-006.jpg  
Old 12-04-07, 02:13 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy
Gernby, A wet kit is always safer. I know that you don't see the benifets of using a wet kit. You can tune the jets to what ever A/F ratio you like. A standalone will work, but who wants all the problems that come along with a standalone. It would be real easy to install a EMS on the port injectors. And most likely wouldn't cause a CIL. But unless you've tuned with one and no all of the prolbems that come along with an EMS then I would steer away.

Heres some pics
I don't think it's wise to say anything is always safer, and nobody was saying a dry kit would be easy, and I definitely see the benefits. BTW, I know a fair bit about tuning since I've spent years developing my own piggy-back.

BTW, why didn't you move the spray nozzle further away from the throttle body? Wouldn't you want it to have longer to mix?
Old 12-04-07, 02:19 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gernby
I don't think it's wise to say anything is always safer, and nobody was saying a dry kit would be easy, and I definitely see the benefits. BTW, I know a fair bit about tuning since I've spent years developing my own piggy-back.

BTW, why didn't you move the spray nozzle further away from the throttle body? Wouldn't you want it to have longer to mix?
Slap me down!! hehe
We are always on oppsite sides of the fence LOL. I didn't want all my fuel to stick to the side of the intake pipe. Where it is now it has a clear shot into the mantifold. I'm not saying you don't know what your doing. But for the other 99.9 % of the people on this forum that have not tuned, I'm just laying out all the cards.

Last edited by HKS350; 12-04-07 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-04-07, 02:29 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We are always on oppsite sides of the fence LOL. I didn't want all my fuel to stick to the side of the intake pipe. Where it is now it has a clear shot into the mantifold.
How many inches is it away from the TB? The NOS installation document on the web specifies 6" to 12" from the TB. It also looks like the nozzle on their kit sprays at a 90 degree angle so that it sprays straight down the intake pipe. Does the ZEX spray nozzle shoot straight at the pipe wall? I would just be concerned that the N20 / fuel mix wouldn't be completely homogenous across the cylinders if it's spaying too close to the manifold...
Old 12-04-07, 02:35 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

The Zex nozzle atomizes (spell?) most of the fuel with'n that 6" you spoke of. The intake mantifold on this car is long. Here is a pic of the inside (you'll have to zoom in) So to answer your ? It is 9.5" away from the TB ( I just went outside and measured)
Attached Thumbnails nos?-random-motorpics-002.jpg  

Last edited by HKS350; 12-04-07 at 02:42 PM.
GrizzlyMan (04-18-21)
Old 12-04-07, 02:40 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

The main runner almost makes a U-turn after the throttle body before it splits into the 6 single runners. Remember thier is also a variable intake runner plate somewhere inside this too. So the fuel will already have to turn and get past the plate. Really the pics I have don't do justice for whats actually seen in person. I'm actually worried about that screen catching most of the fuel on it.

Last edited by HKS350; 12-04-07 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-04-07, 09:07 PM
Taylor@DP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What jets are you starting off with? Good choice on the kit. ZEX makes a nice unit although I'm not big on the purple.
Old 12-05-07, 05:59 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

I'll start with a 55 shot and work my way up. I'm watching raw data from the knock sensors and when start to pick up more knocks i'll stop and adjust the NOS jet back a size.
Old 12-05-07, 06:52 AM
Chaser07
Driver

Default Port & Polish

I'll start with a 55 shot and work my way up. I'm watching raw data from the knock sensors and when start to pick up more knocks i'll stop and adjust the NOS jet back a size.
Jeremy,
Have you taken off the intake manifold on top of the motor yet...? I was wanting to see what it looked like under there before I go take mine off to see if I can clear up any of the air ways. Open for suggestions if you have any.
Old 12-05-07, 07:10 AM
Chaser07
Driver

Default Stock Exhaust Manifold

Originally Posted by Taylor@DP
What jets are you starting off with? Good choice on the kit. ZEX makes a nice unit although I'm not big on the purple.

Taylor...Thanks for letting me come our to your shop yesterday! That place is truely a mans toy chest!

I was thinking a lil bit last night....Would it be easier if I hunted down a set of stock exhaust manifolds at a junk yard or something for you to weld in those Hi-Flow cats that you have sitting in your office? That way you can take your time & then just install them once you're done.

If I can pull this off, you could probably even use them to design headers for our 350's using your CAD system... Just a thought, but lemme know. Thanks
Old 12-05-07, 07:37 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Chaser07
Jeremy,
Have you taken off the intake manifold on top of the motor yet...? I was wanting to see what it looked like under there before I go take mine off to see if I can clear up any of the air ways. Open for suggestions if you have any.
Yes i have. Their is cast alum. risers that the port injectors are mounted in. This area could be ported and polished. The throttle body can be also, It actually needs alot of help. The composite plastic is a prolbem though. Not to much can be done in this area, which is most of the area to improve on. But on the up side an intake manifold would be really easy to make on this car. It could bolt to the risers and the throttle body on the 2IS is one of the most common ones used in the Japan market. I think larger pleum and some veloicity stacks intergrated into the manifold could yield so HP.
Old 12-05-07, 08:11 AM
Chaser07
Driver

Default Plastic

Yes i have. Their is cast alum. risers that the port injectors are mounted in. This area could be ported and polished. The throttle body can be also, It actually needs alot of help. The composite plastic is a prolbem though. Not to much can be done in this area, which is most of the area to improve on. But on the up side an intake manifold would be really easy to make on this car. It could bolt to the risers and the throttle body on the 2IS is one of the most common ones used in the Japan market. I think larger pleum and some veloicity stacks intergrated into the manifold could yield so HP.
Can you elaborate on the composite plastic being a problem but not much can be done in that area...
Old 12-05-07, 10:13 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

sure, with the plastic intake runners. You could open them up but once you cut into the material then their is no way to smooth it out. Kinda think of it like taking a sand paper to your cell phone. You can sand on it but it would never be as smooth. The only way would be to reheat the plastic. This is also fiber reinforced. It would splinter like wood.

Quick Reply: nos?