Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tanabe Exhaust Too Low?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-07, 09:16 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually on my car, the Right canister is significantly lower than the left one. It really drives me crazy sometimes and I've been wanting to fix it but haven't had a chance.
Old 09-10-07, 09:17 AM
mort
Lead Lap

Mine is perfect right from the install.
Old 09-10-07, 09:22 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by cspec
Dude... you really just gotta get under the car and fiddle with it. It's something you just gotta adjust yourself to see.

Don't worry, this exhaust is quality, you won't be disappointed.
I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but you may want to look at possibly using a black zip tie if you can't work out the height by playing around with the rear hanger. I was able to get the exhaust pretty darn close by adjusting the hanger , but since I tend to be a perfectionist I used one black tie-wrap that finished the job perfectly and it's not visible. I'll take a picture later tonight for ya if you want. Basically with the zip tie it's pulling the left exhaust side up and to the right a bit and I adjusted by how tight I pulled the tie. I've had it on there for several months now and it hasn't moved a bit.

Last edited by caymandive; 09-10-07 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-10-07, 09:24 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you mean zip ties? I use zip ties all over the car, LOL!
Old 09-10-07, 09:29 AM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

try loosening the two bolts that connect the left to the right, there's a little adjustment there.
Old 09-10-07, 09:37 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by cspec
Do you mean zip ties? I use zip ties all over the car, LOL!
oops yes I meant Zip tie. My buddy's sn is Tie-wrap so I always have that in my head when I think of any ties.
Old 09-10-07, 11:44 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by caymandive
I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but you may want to look at possibly using a black zip tie if you can't work out the height by playing around with the rear hanger. I was able to get the exhaust pretty darn close by adjusting the hanger , but since I tend to be a perfectionist I used one black tie-wrap that finished the job perfectly and it's not visible. I'll take a picture later tonight for ya if you want. Basically with the zip tie it's pulling the left exhaust side up and to the right a bit and I adjusted by how tight I pulled the tie. I've had it on there for several months now and it hasn't moved a bit.
I'd love to see a pic if possible. I'm a noob at this stuff.
Old 09-10-07, 11:46 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Buds
I'd love to see a pic if possible. I'm a noob at this stuff.
No problem. I'll take a picture tonight so you can see what I'm talking about. BTW..Does your Lexus HKS exhaust hang lower on the left side too?
Old 09-10-07, 11:57 AM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Ahaha I didnt want to be the first to say it and get flammed but I used a zip tie to hold the left side up more too. the hanger doesnt get hot enough to cause a problem so I wasnt worried... I checked it after a few weeks of operation and its holding up well.
Old 09-10-07, 12:01 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

No problem. I'll take a picture tonight so you can see what I'm talking about. BTW..Does your Lexus HKS exhaust hang lower on the left side too?
Nope, on mine the right side is considerably lower than the left.
Old 09-10-07, 12:09 PM
LazyPrince
Driver School Candidate

Hey, I'm thinking of putting this exhaust on my car next summer but I was wondring if anybody in Canada has had problems with the snow after installing this exhaust. From the earlier pictures, other than caymandive's, it seems like it would graze the snow as I drive along in the smaller roads.
Old 09-10-07, 12:20 PM
1022it
Pole Position

to properly adjust exhaust hung by rubber hangers; you should bend the metal shafts that the rubber hangers are attaching the direction you need...
zip ties break. i will give them 1 year max before they break off.
Old 09-10-07, 12:23 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1022it
zip ties break. i will give them 1 year max before they break off.
Then I put on another one. 10 second job. and you dont screw up the hanger too.
Old 09-10-07, 03:23 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Exhaust installed before adjustments made. Notice the left side sagging.

Making the adjustment with a zip tie. Basically I pulled the exhaust up and to the right with the tension of the zip tie. I played around with how far to pull the zip tie until everything looked nice and even. I've had the tie on there for at least 4 months now and it's showing no signs of snapping. If it does, like someone mentioned it takes just a minute to put a new one on. Oh and no I did not drill that hole where the zip tie feeds through the black metal piece. It was already there and should be there for you guys too.

You can't see the zip tie from behind the car.

Final result is now both sides even.
Old 09-10-07, 04:10 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

nice fix. creativity ftw.

Quick Reply: Tanabe Exhaust Too Low?