Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1SICK**Write-Up** Drop in K&N filter for 2GS (98-05)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-07, 10:20 AM
LexFather

Smile 1SICK**Write-Up** Drop in K&N filter for 2GS (98-05)

Hello everyone,
The pictures will be specific to the GS 430 but results and my recommendations are for any Lexus.
This is my 2nd K&N drop in filter. My first was for the GS 400 before I went with the SRT Intake. This one is for the GS 430. My father went loco (lol) and bought K&N filters for all the cars and surprised me with it.

Retail is anywhere from $40-$50. Most auto parts stores will match the lowest price. They are rarely in stock, but most ship overnight to the store.

K&N claims a 1-4hp gain which is negligible in a 300hp car (a 3hp increase would be a 1% gain). The K&N filter is built much stronger than the cheap OEM paper filter (just look at the pics). The K&N has a 1 million mile warranty. Now must of us don't drive that much in one car but the major advantage of the K&N is when it is time for service at Lexus, you don't have to purchase a replacement air filter and get charged $80 or so in the process. So it pays for itself after one major service.

You just have to oil and clean the K&N every 40,000 miles or so. K&N also claims better gas mileage. I don't know but its good to know I have a top of the line air filter for my Lexus and not a cheap paper one.

You might notice a slightly larger growl upon startup and lower speeds. I don't have a sound meter device, it is no cold air intake but there is a very very small difference in noise than stock. My father (NOT a gearhead like me) noticed it in all the other cars he put the filter in.

Installation is a snap. Pop off the 4 tabs on the air box (the last one is in the back and a baby challenge to get off), you pull the air box back, take off the old air filter, put in the K&N one, and pop the tabs back.

They enclose stickers to put on the air box so technicians don't throw away your K & N filter.

The pics show the difference in quality between stock and the K&N. Its not even close in quality, both are on opposite ends of the spectrum. I don't think anyone has posted side by side pics of the OEM air filter and the K&N one before.

This is a level 1 write-up but enjoy!!

Mike

2001 GS 430 engine bay, TRD STB (notice no engine cover)

You can see the red circle I made to show the tab in the back of the air box

This is the air box with no filter inside. I cleaned it out.

Bottom

Sides (notice the difference in thickness)

Old 03-19-07, 10:22 AM
LexFather

Some might want to ask why so much time into a drop in filter? There are those Lexus owners who simply have no intention of adding a cold air intake in their car and I felt this would be valuable to them, to do a reasonable cost mod that actually saves you money and gives slight performance/MPG savings, while adding a much higher quality air filter.
Old 03-19-07, 10:45 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Nice DIY. Might as well make this a DIY for the GS400 since its essentially the same procedure
Old 03-19-07, 10:54 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Nice write Mike.. Looks like you really needed to change your filter.. That stock one is filthy. A nice upgrade from stock..

Tony
Old 03-19-07, 10:59 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Nice write Mike.. Looks like you really needed to change your filter.. That stock one is filthy. A nice upgrade from stock..

Tony
Thanks Tony
Originally Posted by GSteg
Nice DIY. Might as well make this a DIY for the GS400 since its essentially the same procedure
Great point, I edited my title
Old 03-19-07, 11:50 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey mike,

have u tried cleaning and re-oiling K&N filters before?
is it easy or hard?
is it easy for the oil to screw up the sensitive MAF in our lexus?

good write up
i wonder how it will make my GS300 sound

here is a link to a big in-house debate about the pros and cons of K&N air filters
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=248793
Old 03-19-07, 05:25 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

congrats on the mod, hope it helps.

I thought the oem filters for our cars were made with cotton......
Old 03-19-07, 07:02 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by UberNoob
hey mike,

have u tried cleaning and re-oiling K&N filters before?
is it easy or hard?
is it easy for the oil to screw up the sensitive MAF in our lexus?

good write up
i wonder how it will make my GS300 sound

here is a link to a big in-house debate about the pros and cons of K&N air filters
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=248793
Thanks! I posted.

Chuck, cotton/paper, same thing for the OEM filters. Cheap stuff
Old 03-19-07, 07:42 PM
milky
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice simple DIY, great comparison in quality of the two
Old 03-19-07, 10:23 PM
LeXusFiTs
Lead Lap

hey SICKLEX could u add a side by side comparison when holding the 2 filters up to the light?!...My OEM filter was so dirty it was like my car had asthma!
Old 03-20-07, 12:15 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

The oil shouldn't get into the MAF as long as you re-oil the filter moderately. I've ran K&N filters and cleaned and re-oiled them and never had a problem with a MAF sensor.

1SICK: Do you have the part # handy also?
Old 03-22-07, 09:26 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Never ever use a K&N air filter. Every used oil analysis I have seen with a K&N air filter has shown higher levels of silicon(dirt). This increases engine wear. There is a fellow by the name of Terry Dyson on www.bobistheoilguy.com , who interprets oil analysis reports called dyson analysis and he hates K&N filters! From what he's said, he'd rather use Fram air filters over K&N air filters. I used K&N filter for a trial period of 12,000 miles and guess what, my silicon levels went up and so did my wear numbers(Ld, Fe, Cu, Al).
Old 10-12-11, 10:39 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree, K&N's are good at passing flow, but also good at passing dirt.... lots of it... It scores the cylinder walls. Bad stuff.

(oh, and I do like bringing old threads back from the dead from time to time.... a whole new crowd on the forums probably never saw it before)

Originally Posted by kingofire
Never ever use a K&N air filter. Every used oil analysis I have seen with a K&N air filter has shown higher levels of silicon(dirt). This increases engine wear. There is a fellow by the name of Terry Dyson on www.bobistheoilguy.com , who interprets oil analysis reports called dyson analysis and he hates K&N filters! From what he's said, he'd rather use Fram air filters over K&N air filters. I used K&N filter for a trial period of 12,000 miles and guess what, my silicon levels went up and so did my wear numbers(Ld, Fe, Cu, Al).
Yes, paper/cotton filters are cheap, but VERY effective at trapping dirt.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thanks! I posted.

Chuck, cotton/paper, same thing for the OEM filters. Cheap stuff

Last edited by RamAirRckt; 10-12-11 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-21-11, 02:55 PM
bonson
Driver School Candidate

Question

so the question is to what extent is this alledged internal damage vs savings of not buying cheap $10 - $15 air filters all the time? is the dmage neglible or more major.
Keeping in mind I've used both drop in and usually full on cold air intake kits (usually K&N but also AEM Brute Force etc) in many various vehicles over the last 15 or more years with no one ever saying anything about that potential damage.
I do have a normal air filter in a newly acquired 1999 GS300 that I was getting ready to switch to a washable filter (drop in or cold air intake)
Old 10-21-11, 04:30 PM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's my 2cents....If you want noise and power buy the K&N FIPK 57-9011 or the SRT You can find the the K&N on amazon for around 220ish. SRT double if not triple.

If you want better MPG buy the drop in K&N...why you may ask??? Yes in Theory more air=more power with better mpg. But If anyone is like me on this forum (im sure you all are) you can't resit to floor to hear that v8 Roar with the FIPK on there. Flooring it does wonders MPG aka it drops a ton.

My vote is still for the FPIK because ****** MPG...and in the words of Jeremy Clarkson- "POWER!!!!"

http://www.amazon.com/57-9011-Fuel-I...9239771&sr=1-1

Quick Reply: 1SICK**Write-Up** Drop in K&N filter for 2GS (98-05)