ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Performance (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance-186/)
-   -   GS300 Exhaust Options (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance/22979-gs300-exhaust-options.html)

chaos 10-03-01 03:25 PM

GS300 Exhaust Options

I have looks at several exhuast systems on the net for the GS300.

Its has dual tail pipes and dual headers, but there is that central manifold under the car where the two look to join.

I have reviewd Apaxi, Blitz, HKS, Tanable systems, most hook up after the cat converter.

Does anyone know which system provides the most power increase, without the annoying Honda Beer-Can Rice-Boy sound?

Thanks - DK

1niceride 10-03-01 10:30 PM

To tell you the truth , you won't get much hp from an exhaust system . Only thing you getting is looks and noise . If you do get any hp , don't expect more than 5 . Lexus designed the exhaust system very well .

The greddy and tanabe are the only cat - back systems available .

Borla , ltuned , hks , apexi , etc . are muffler only .

The muffler only exhausts are quiter than the cat-back ones . IMHO any exhaust on gs 300 won't sound like a honda .

meanboy 10-06-01 09:54 PM

Originally posted by 1niceride
To tell you the truth , you won't get much hp from an exhaust system . Only thing you getting is looks and noise . If you do get any hp , don't expect more than 5 . Lexus designed the exhaust system very well .

The greddy and tanabe are the only cat - back systems available .

Borla , ltuned , hks , apexi , etc . are muffler only .

The muffler only exhausts are quiter than the cat-back ones . IMHO any exhaust on gs 300 won't sound like a honda .

The cat is directly attached to the header so the aftermarket exhaust begins there? I guess that's a dumb question.

chaos 10-07-01 10:00 PM

Question??

Meanboy:

Just wondering what you meant by dumb question??

I know the Cat Converters are connected to the headers, however my question wasnt about where the cat converters were, but rather what system would provide any additional power and a good sound.

Im thinking the Greedy system sounds best.

Thx - ChaOs

meanboy 10-08-01 01:00 AM

Re: Question??

Originally posted by chaos
Meanboy:

Just wondering what you meant by dumb question??

I know the Cat Converters are connected to the headers, however my question wasnt about where the cat converters were, but rather what system would provide any additional power and a good sound.

Im thinking the Greedy system sounds best.

Thx - ChaOs

It has more then one cat? I didn't look under the car so I don't really know. And I meant my question was dumb not yours.

Personally, if it's true that little power comes from an exhaust change, I wouldn't do it. I would use the cash to upgrade the stereo or change out the suspension. But maybe, you already did those things already.

You ever hear of the phrase, Q ship? It's a sedan thats plenty fast but doesn't attract the authorities. An exhaust might disrupt the Q ship appeal of the GS.

dru 10-08-01 09:12 AM

chaos,

I don't think anybody 'really' answered your questions. True, a cat back system would seem to make more power everywhere in the powerband, however, the reason that many people just go w/ a muffler only setup is that w/ a cat back system on a normally aspirated car, you tend to LOSE power on the low end. The details on this is due to the increased inner diameter of the piping, causes a lower escape velocity for the exhaust, therefore reducing power. Keep in mind, this on the low end. However, usually peak hp numbers are higher w/ a cat back system, b/c once you get into higher speeds, it's better to have a larger exhaust. Try to imagine sprinting the 100m dash breathing/exhaling through 1 nostril vs. doing the same through your mouth. So, most people opt for a muffler only system, b/c they don't want to sacrifice the power at where most everday real world driving occurs.

meanboy 10-08-01 11:42 AM

Originally posted by dru
chaos,

I don't think anybody 'really' answered your questions. True, a cat back system would seem to make more power everywhere in the powerband, however, the reason that many people just go w/ a muffler only setup is that w/ a cat back system on a normally aspirated car, you tend to LOSE power on the low end. The details on this is due to the increased inner diameter of the piping, causes a lower escape velocity for the exhaust, therefore reducing power. Keep in mind, this on the low end. However, usually peak hp numbers are higher w/ a cat back system, b/c once you get into higher speeds, it's better to have a larger exhaust. Try to imagine sprinting the 100m dash breathing/exhaling through 1 nostril vs. doing the same through your mouth. So, most people opt for a muffler only system, b/c they don't want to sacrifice the power at where most everday real world driving occurs.

I think the real question is if the stock exhaust is the most efficient exhaust system with the stock enginer. If so, why change it unless you like the sound of the new exhaust.

TLEX 10-08-01 10:46 PM

I think the sounds and looks are why most people change the system. Well, thats why I'm doing it. :)

meanboy 10-09-01 12:30 AM

Originally posted by TLEX
I think the sounds and looks are why most people change the system. Well, thats why I'm doing it. :)
That's why the make them. They certainly wouldn't have a market if most people were like me. I usually go for fuctionality over looks.

dru 10-09-01 09:27 AM

chaos,

so what did you end up deciding to get? :)

TX GS 10-14-01 05:36 PM

I heard the L Tuned over the weekend and it's the nicest sounding exhaust for me. Deep and hardly annoying.

I'll be going w/ L tuned.

chaos 10-15-01 09:11 AM

L-Tuned - TX GS Thanks

TX GS -

Thanks for the input on the sound, I really want a deep sounding exhaust that is not loud. From what I hear the Blitz and the L-Tuned sound deep on accel and idle, but are fairly quiet at cruising...I.E. no annoying beer-can sound while driving 300 miles!!!

Ahhh...choices choices!

tonysgs300 08-02-09 04:49 PM

I agree with everyone else on the changing of the exhaust or not. If your not going to mod the engine than its not going to do much in the way of hp gains on the stock 2jz motor, changing the muffler is sound and looks only. If your not into the sound just the looks than add some nice looking tips to your muffler and you'll have a quite exhaust with nice tips. I myself Love the Megan Racing N1 mufflers! great look and awsome sound

readyyrobb 03-27-15 03:27 PM

exhaust loudest

I want the loudest most annoying exhaust I can find its way to quiet for me what are my options

penaa107 10-30-17 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by readyyrobb (Post 8973821)
I want the loudest most annoying exhaust I can find its way to quiet for me what are my options

you can always go straight pipe or open headers