Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Exploded diagram of a GS400 fuel tank?

Old 02-13-06, 06:50 AM
Burton
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ROPADOPA
how do you get the gas to the pump thats trapped in the other side of the tank?

That is what the device shown in the earlier picture does. it is a venturi type device that uses the return fuel to cause a suction to pull the fuel from the other side of the tank.

All I have in my tank is a fuel pump and the device in the last pic. It works perfect and I can get all the fuel out of the tank.

Ben
Old 02-13-06, 07:52 AM
ROPADOPA
Pole Position

I got you, when you said you did yours different i figured you didnt incorperate that part.
Old 02-13-06, 08:16 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

THanks to the help of those that have done this before me, I think I have a game plan to move forward. Now that the tank piece is figured out

1. Drill a hole and install bulkhead fitting in the tank, on the inside of the tank I will use an adapter to convert from the AN bulkhead fitting to a barb type connector then I will run a piece of rubber hose from the barb fitting to the siphon thingy and close up the tank. (hopefully I wont have to drop the tank to install this)

2. From the bulkhead connector I will run #6 AN hose to the engine compartment.

3. Remove the fuel rails from the car, I wish I didnt have to do this since it just adds labor to the process, but it looks like if I try to take the bolts off at the end of the rails with a wrench or socket I may wind up snapping the fuel rail in half or at the very least damaging something from the torque I wiill have to apply to break the bolts loose. So I will pull them off and take them to someone with an impact wrench.

4. figure out what size those bolts on the end of the rail is and then get the appropriate sized NPT to AN fitting. Screw these fittings into the rail and reinstall the rails, run #6 AN from the rails to the supply side of the regulator.

5. find a good spot to mount the regulator

6 install a #6 AN fitting to the bottom of the regulator and hook up the #6 return line that I ran from the tank.

7. Connect a guage to the regulator and set it at 43 psi, then hook up the vacume line to the regulator.

Thanks folks
Old 02-15-06, 03:50 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

For those that follow, the fuel rails are off, I tried some differfent fittings from the autoparts store. EDIT The size of the rail ports appears to be Metric 14 1.5 pitch. So I will get some Metric to AN fittings 14 1.5 to #6AN

These can be found on Jegs.com

OH I wouldnt try to take those bolts off while the rails are on the car, we actualloy had to put them in a vise and torque on them pretty hard to break the bolts loose. If you tried to get them off on the car I am almost positive you would break the rails.
Attached Thumbnails Exploded diagram of a GS400 fuel tank?-dsc05963.jpg  

Last edited by morris; 02-16-06 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-15-06, 05:05 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great to see you doing this man Keep the pics coming man,

Jonny
Old 02-16-06, 03:19 PM
Supraownzu
Driver

this is quite possibly the most helpful post i have ever found on this site!!! the only thing i had a question on for my build was fuel related, and now it is answered.
Old 02-16-06, 03:52 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

edited size of fuel rail fittings see above.
Old 02-25-06, 02:51 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Okay I got it all plugged back up but alas no joy in mudville.

Basically the pump isnt pumping any fuel. I can hear it making noise when I turnover the egine but thats about it.

Does anyone know if it need to be primed by any chance? If so how can I just put some fuel into the top of the pump fitting with a syringe or do I have to prime the whole fuel system?
Old 02-26-06, 07:35 AM
Supraownzu
Driver

just to throw this out there, but did you wire the pump correctly??? ive never tried it before, but if you switched the wires around would it spin in reverse??? when i built my supra, we just turned each pump on individually and it worked fine after a few seconds. maybe disconnect the outlet of the pump and just run a hose off of it to a bucket and see if anything comes out when you turn the key on. or you could just power the input wire with a jumper and try that out.
Old 02-26-06, 10:06 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Well the pump was already installed so I didnt have to wire it up. I suppose one of the two wires could be broken inside the insulation. It sounds like i hear it come on when I turn over the engine, it just isnt pumping any fuel. I even removed the line to see if anything was coming from the pump itself.

My local guy says it doesnt need to be priimed so thats not it.

I'm just gonna have to get a volt meter and some jumpers to start troubleshooting. (when I get a chance)
Old 03-06-06, 07:58 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Oh problem was that I let expoxy get to far into the fuel filter when I closed up the bottom hole. This sealed up a hole in the fuel filter that shouldnt have been. So I had to get a new one, Toyota sold it to me about 10.00 cheaper than Lexus by the way. I tapped the hole on thi one and used a set screw to close it up.

Problem solved Thanks for all the help everyone.
Old 03-09-06, 11:44 AM
Supraownzu
Driver

good to hear.
Old 04-13-06, 04:49 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Ii have more detailed photos if anyone needs them PM me.
Old 09-16-11, 10:33 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by morris
You deserve the credit for sure!!! How do you plug up the bottom of the pump where The Regulator plugged in I'm talking about point D, or do you just leave it open and free flowing? Not point D, I know that gets tossed but where point D plugged in

PS oh yea I know what you mean about the siphon part, we had something called an eductor in the navy that worked on the same principal
did you ever figure out if you needed to block off point d or just leave it open but moreover how did you connect return to point e .. can you guys explain alittle further .. i am trying to avoid using the sard jet pump killer again
Old 09-18-11, 11:41 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Sorry for the delay I have been on a retreat with no electronics, hopefully these photos will help

Name:  DSC06897.jpg
Views: 2379
Size:  177.9 KB

Name:  DSC06898.jpg
Views: 2161
Size:  80.2 KB

Name:  DSC06899.jpg
Views: 2306
Size:  64.0 KB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exploded diagram of a GS400 fuel tank?