Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Megan Racing DOWNPIPE GS300?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-08, 03:09 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pingu
I would also be all over this but the liberal democrat green loving hippies run CA. I think that the b-pipe does have a cat. Magnaflow sells a catalytic converter that replaces the entire b-pipe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAGNAFLOW-CATALY...1%7C240%3A1318
Crap. Does that mean I won't be able to pass Cali emissions if I have a catback Tanable Touring Medallion if the rest of my car is stock?
Old 11-10-08, 03:18 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Even if you have stock exhaust with just the megans, you'll probably wont pass emission anyways.
Old 11-10-08, 10:08 PM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

im not sure how cali emissions are.

but here, the emissions test changed for 96+ cars. no test for exhaust emissions, but just a scan of ur obdII port for no CELs.

i had to do my 2 year test back in july. i passed with the MR y pipe, tanabe touring both on, no issues.

for 95 or less, they did the standard emissions test, with a probe in the exhaust, and some standard engine load test on the dyno.
Old 11-11-08, 09:37 AM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
Crap. Does that mean I won't be able to pass Cali emissions if I have a catback Tanable Touring Medallion if the rest of my car is stock?
You will pass with your current set up. I am guessing we would fail the actual emission test with the B-pipe. I believe that the 2 cats on or right after the exhaust manifold do not work efficient; therefore they put another cat after the first two to catch the remaining pollutants. I am sure that the Nox, HC, CO could be really high after removing the 3rd cat.
Old 11-11-08, 02:02 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will pass with your current set up. I am guessing we would fail the actual emission test with the B-pipe. I believe that the 2 cats on or right after the exhaust manifold do not work efficient; therefore they put another cat after the first two to catch the remaining pollutants. I am sure that the Nox, HC, CO could be really high after removing the 3rd cat.
Sorry I'm a little confused with your response. You're saying I would pass right now but my aftermarket b-pipe wouldnt?

The Touring Medallion is an axle back plus the b-pipe, so my question is if the b-pipe has a supplementary cat, will I pass w/out that specific cat but everything else relating to my emissions is stock?
Old 11-11-08, 04:57 PM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

see this is where the definitions get messed.

technically, a cat back is everything from the catalytic converter back, and an axle back is basically the piping from the axle to the exhaust tip. however the GS is so freggin long, its actually got extra piping.

i still call the tanabe touring a cat back cuz of its length of replacement pipe.

the extra piece is the Y pipe as they call. however megan racing places it under "down pipe"

technically, the down pipe should be associated with turbo piping as NA cars have header(s).

ok, im confusing myself with all the terminology...
Old 11-11-08, 05:37 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
Sorry I'm a little confused with your response. You're saying I would pass right now but my aftermarket b-pipe wouldnt?

The Touring Medallion is an axle back plus the b-pipe, so my question is if the b-pipe has a supplementary cat, will I pass w/out that specific cat but everything else relating to my emissions is stock?
I think you are mixed up. Take a look at the tanabe website. The Tanabe is a catback exhaust. The exhaust replaces the resonators and the mufflers.

It does not replace the b-pipe that has a cat on the end of it (everything that I have researched has led me to believe it has a cat on it). The B-pipe is what you attached the y-pipe to.

You will definitely pass with your touring alone. I passed with almost 0 NOX and HC's with the Hyper.

If we add the megan down pipe to the equation, I am not sure if we will pass. We would fail the visual inspection if the tech looked underneath the vehicle. The democrats/green/environmentalists passed legislation that makes modifying anything before the catalytic converter illegal in the state of CA and stopped the 30 year rolling exemption (now only vehicles older then 1975 are not required to take a smog test). Sorry if that offends anyone, the blue party is not supportive of modifying cars. I am not sure if we would fail the sniffer part with the Megan downpipe (the actual test where they stick the measuring device into the exhaust). Technically, even if we did pass emissions, it would still be illegal because we cannot modify any part of the vehicle before the catalytic converter.

I know for a fact that if you get Refereed and are forced to go to the state testing facility, you will fail. They check every little component. Guillermo should know, his IS300 has had 4-5 ref tickets iirc. He was at the Irvine CL meet a while back.

Last edited by pingu; 11-11-08 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-11-08, 08:20 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you are mixed up. Take a look at the tanabe website. The Tanabe is a catback exhaust. The exhaust replaces the resonators and the mufflers.

It does not replace the b-pipe that has a cat on the end of it (everything that I have researched has led me to believe it has a cat on it). The B-pipe is what you attached the y-pipe to. You will definitely pass with your touring. I passed with almost 0 NOX and HC's with the Hyper.

If we add the megan down pipe to the equation, I am not sure if we will pass. We would fail the visual inspection if the tech looked underneath the vehicle. The democrats/green/environmentalists passed legislation that makes modifying anything before the catalytic converter illegal in the state of CA and stopped the 30 year rolling exemption (now only vehicles older then 1975 are not required to take a smog test). Sorry if that offends anyone, the blue party is not supportive of modifying cars. I am not sure if we would fail the sniffer part with the Megan downpipe (the actual test where they stick the measuring device into the exhaust). Technically, even if we did pass emissions, it would still be illegal because we cannot modify any part of the vehicle before the catalytic converter.

I know for a fact that if you get Refereed and are forced to go to the state testing facility, you will fail. They check every little component. Guillermo should know, his IS300 has had 4-5 ref tickets iirc. He was at the Irvine CL meet a while back.
Let's make sure we're looking at the correct parts with regards to a visual inspection and Federal laws regarding catalytic converters opposed to removing resonators, you might actually be OK:

Replacing or Removing a Catalytic Converter
"Always know the federal and state laws that govern the removal or replacement of a catalytic converter on any vehicle, no matter what you may use the vehicle for. A lot of people will replace the converter with straight pipe or after-market exhaust pipe. According to federal law, catalytic converters may not be removed and replaced with "converter replacement pipes" by any person. The 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments even prohibit private individuals from installing "converter replacement pipes" on their own vehicles. Anyone who installs such pipes would violate the Clean Air Act. Some may think it's okay to remove a converter if they are offroading, but the law still provides you with the guidelines to follow. All manufacturers certify each engine and chassis configuration meet emission standards and cannot be de-certified by anyone for offroad use.

When replacing your converter, always use a reputable muffler or exhaust shop or a dealership to make the proper repairs or replacements. These shop owners and dealership owners will not take a chance of being shut down just to make a quick dollar."

Unless your putting on headers you aren't touching the CC. The Megan does not replace the front catalytic converter, the CC is manufactured as part of the exhaust header. The Megan replaces part 17410 from the diagram below (thanks Sewell) replacing a muffler with what appears to be either a high flow exhaust or a resonator. The Tanabe removes the resonators from 17420 creating a straight flow and increases the size of the mufflers 17430.

I'm not sure about CA but when I went for inspection they (VA) were cool with my modified B pipe (replaced with a high flow Magnaflow muffler) and the lack of the resonators from the Y-pipe. Worst case situation, you put your old B-pipe on for inspection then change back to the Megan afterwards (30 minute job).
Attached Thumbnails Megan Racing DOWNPIPE GS300?-exhaust-picture.jpg  
Old 11-11-08, 08:56 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

17410 has a cat at the end.....like I wrote....

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAGNAFLOW-CATALY...2%7C240%3A1318

Last edited by pingu; 11-11-08 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-11-08, 09:16 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

17410 has a cat at the end.....like I wrote....

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAGNAFLOW-CATALY...2%7C240%3A1318
That is not a cat my friend, it's a muffler.

OEM
Section 1 from exhaust - header containing cat
Section 2 - B containing an exhaust - I am wrong, this is a cat
Section 3 - Y containing 2 resonators
Sections 4 - mufflers

Aftermarket w/Megan and Tanabe
Section 2 - Megan containing high flow exhaust OR resonator
Section 3 - Y pipe
Sections 4 - mufflers

Last edited by ZippyGuy; 11-11-08 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-11-08, 09:28 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
That is not a cat my friend, it's a muffler.

OEM
Section 2 - B containing an exhaust
Section 3 - Y containing 2 resonators
Sections 4 - mufflers

Aftermarket w/Megan and Tanabe
Section 2 - Megan containing high flow exhaust OR resonator
Section 3 - Y pipe
Sections 4 - mufflers
I have to correct myself on my correction. My B pipe contains a FLOWMASTER, not a Magnaflow replacement to the B-pipe muffler. Then again, I'm part of the 49 not the 1

The Megan does NOT look like any cat that I've seen, so the statement is correct that you will most likely not pass visual.
Attached Images  
Old 11-11-08, 10:44 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

According to the repair manual its a cat.
Look at pages EC-11 to EC-13.
I am done arguing, you can believe what you want to believe, for everyone else, refer to the repair manual.

Last edited by pingu; 11-11-08 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-12-08, 07:55 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

I am done arguing, you can believe what you want to believe, for everyone else, refer to the repair manual.
You are correct
Old 11-12-08, 08:39 AM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

all i know is i passed visual and testing for my emissions test up here in BC.

cali's suppose to be one of the most strictest no?

ill go grab my insurance papers and get the readings...
Old 03-17-09, 08:51 AM
eagle1wi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just for clarification it seems that the 98-99's have a muffler in this "third" location and the newer 2nd Gen's do have a cat there. I know that being underneath my 99 GS3 it certainly doesn't look anything like a cat, looks like a little muffler.

I landed on this page looking to get rid of that restriction point and it certainly looks like every "catted" front pipe is listed for 2000+ models.

Can anyone confirm that only the newer models have the third cat?

Quick Reply: Megan Racing DOWNPIPE GS300?