Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sudden loss of power - Catalytic converter glowing

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-03, 11:10 PM
SCmist
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, its was only 6. At first, I found that oddly my self, because thinkin V8, so each coil will be for 4 cylinders. What I basiclly did to find out, was just to pull the spark plug wires from each of the spark plugs. Thats how I found out what cylinder wasnt getting any sparks.
Old 09-04-03, 04:29 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice... I changed both on mine.... just in case... i figure if 1 is going the other one is not far behind.
Old 09-04-03, 09:46 PM
dunn378
Pole Position

ive heard that msd and crane make universal coils that will work on the sc400' and ls400's. if that is so maybe there is a little hp to be gained from that upgrade or at least a more responsive feel. also ive seen the crane coils for about $45 a peice. does anybody have any info reguarding upgrading the coils??

Last edited by dunn378; 09-05-03 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-05-03, 03:14 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by dunn378
ive heard that msd and crane make universal coils that will work on the sc400' and ls400's. if that is so maybe threre is a little hp to be gained from that upgrade or at least a more responsive feel. also ive seen the crane coils for about $45 a peice. does anybody have any info reguarding upgraded the coils??
i want some info on this also. thanks!
Old 09-14-03, 10:20 AM
kurt
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Sudden loss of power - Catalytic converter glowing

It seems like everyone agrees what your problem is but I'll go ahead and offer something else. I had an 88 RX-7 a while ago that suddenly had the same problems you are describing. The fuel pressure regulator decided to get stuck in one position and caused my fuel pressure to go through the roof. It ran like crap, cat's were glowing, exhaust stunk, and there was no power. Obviously the same problem of too much fuel. I hope this might help.
Kurt
Originally posted by netwrk2
I need some advice guys. I have a 1992 Lexus SC400 with 150,000 on it. It has really been pretty good up until now. I was driving at about 60 mph and I had a sudden loss of power. I literally felt like someone had put something in my tailpipes. I could maintain idle, but the car was limping

I pulled over and looked under the car. Both catalytic converters were glowing to the point where it looked like they would catch fire. I think it was the catalytic converters, they were located on both sides of the car, just rear of the engine at the bottom of the car and they both had heat shields on them. I drove 15 miles to get back home. By the time I got home, it had a gas smell coming up from the console area and the center console was very hot.

Is this a bad catalytic converter? I was initially thinking yes.....but 2 going bad at the same time. What's the chances of that. If one went bad, how would that affect the other? Someone said it could be a bad o2 sensor. The car is not missing and the check engine lite is OFF.

I would appreciate some insight and if this has happened to you...how much did it cost to fix?

Netwrk2
Old 09-14-03, 05:20 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Sudden loss of power - Catalytic converter glowing

what's the deal? did this get fixed?

Originally posted by netwrk2
I need some advice guys. I have a 1992 Lexus SC400 with 150,000 on it. It has really been pretty good up until now. I was driving at about 60 mph and I had a sudden loss of power. I literally felt like someone had put something in my tailpipes. I could maintain idle, but the car was limping

I pulled over and looked under the car. Both catalytic converters were glowing to the point where it looked like they would catch fire. I think it was the catalytic converters, they were located on both sides of the car, just rear of the engine at the bottom of the car and they both had heat shields on them. I drove 15 miles to get back home. By the time I got home, it had a gas smell coming up from the console area and the center console was very hot.

Is this a bad catalytic converter? I was initially thinking yes.....but 2 going bad at the same time. What's the chances of that. If one went bad, how would that affect the other? Someone said it could be a bad o2 sensor. The car is not missing and the check engine lite is OFF.

I would appreciate some insight and if this has happened to you...how much did it cost to fix?

Netwrk2
Old 05-06-04, 05:37 PM
DaizenLex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where is the Ignition coil located??
Old 05-06-04, 06:49 PM
djl
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

One more possibility, the cats have collapsed in and the exhaust passages are totally clogged. It happens with high milage cars.
Old 05-06-04, 06:57 PM
DaizenLex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well i doubt it i have straight pipes
Old 05-06-04, 08:12 PM
sc3boost
Pole Position

i don't want to scare you this is just my .02, i read this post a while back and i took the advise i was givien, the coil, the problem stoped for a while and came back, so i took the cat's and everything else off except the muffler and used 2.5 inch pipe, and i thought the problem was solved, untill recently i think i blew a piston ring, there is oil all over the spark plug, both inside and out, this is what i think but no for sur so be vury carefull and have it cheaked soon, all i did was pospone the problem and look at me now
now it does'nt have to be this drastic of a problem but just a heads up to try and save you from blowing the engine. even though my problem may be entirly different

another thing is it may be something stupid like your cats can't hang anymore and need replacing

Last edited by sc3boost; 05-06-04 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-06-04, 11:33 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

On the clogged cat issue, there have been instances where a chunk of the catalyst has broken off and clogged another section farther downstream. Decreased airflow would cause more heat possibly causing the loose chunk to weld elsewhere creating a bigger and bigger clog. Some have seen fires due to this. However, since you do have an sc4 and both cats were glowing, i would assume that this is not the case since the likely hood of both cats breaking down at the same time seems unlikely. It is probably an issue with the ignition coil and misfire. Might be a good time for a compression and leakdown test just incase though.
Old 05-07-04, 06:49 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

becareful with msd or crane coils, while they may offer upgraded spark abilities i had to remove mine for acting up but to a lesser value when my coil went out. soon there after the msd can fail easily (due to being a cheap universal part) which happened to mine. i put a stock coil back in but my car still runs bad. after tons of research i found out that the msd coils sometimes cause ignitor failure from who knows what (im sure there is a logical reason) but now i need to go get a new ignitor today to fix my "repair" from earlier. so be cautious on the coils, stock ones should be able to support 500+ hp easily.
Old 05-08-04, 12:35 PM
sc3boost
Pole Position

so you mean the ss blaster can actually mess the entire ignition up.
so if i decide to make 700hp what coil should i use since the stock one is only good up to 500hp???
Old 03-24-05, 04:18 AM
MikeysSC
Lead Lap

heres my story. . happened 2 nites ago. . . after watching the Ring 2. . went to my car. . started. . but once started. . it sounded like crap!! tried driving home. . 4 miles away. . barely getting over 30mph!! luckily it was 3 in the morning. . no traffic! anyhow. . rpm needle wouldnt steady. . jumping all over the place. . once i got home. . popped the hood and i can smell fuel coming from the back .. my mechanic came over the next day and he said my engine is fine. . its just that i have a clogged Catayltic Converter. . wtf? how did that happened? anyhow. .

is there anyway i can do this myself? i mean taking it off and cleaning it? Unclogging it? the nearest muffler shop is like 20 miles away
Old 03-24-05, 03:34 PM
vududoc
Rookie

Originally Posted by MikeysSC
heres my story. . happened 2 nites ago. . . after watching the Ring 2. . went to my car. . started. . but once started. . it sounded like crap!! tried driving home. . 4 miles away. . barely getting over 30mph!! luckily it was 3 in the morning. . no traffic! anyhow. . rpm needle wouldnt steady. . jumping all over the place. . once i got home. . popped the hood and i can smell fuel coming from the back .. my mechanic came over the next day and he said my engine is fine. . its just that i have a clogged Catayltic Converter. . wtf? how did that happened? anyhow. .

is there anyway i can do this myself? i mean taking it off and cleaning it? Unclogging it? the nearest muffler shop is like 20 miles away
NO....the design of the cat is a honey comb style...when plugged normally it is the breakdown of that honeycomb that causes the obstruction. Ive seen some that are totally melted down looking like lava rock. what you can do for a quick fix (do it at your own risk!!!!) is drop the cat and do and interim connecting pipe or just go no cat to the muffler shop.
the reason it happens is just over time as all parts it has worn down or an engine condition like running lean or rich has taken its toll on the cat. though if you kill another cat i would seriously look at engine conditions.

Quick Reply: Sudden loss of power - Catalytic converter glowing