Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

92 1UZ no spark issue - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-19, 06:57 AM
Returd
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

quick update

I rebuilt the IACV as per cartunNZ video

I set up TPS on the bench as per a different cartuneNZ video

the NZ guy is fantastic. If you're doing any type of engine work there's a good chance he has a video on it. If I was a fraction as able as this guy I'd be a UZ god.

I replaced coils, double and triple checked cam timing.

I now have solid spark from both coils which also eliminates igniters as a problem.

I'm going after the fuel system next, pulling the filter and also doing the fuel pump jump at the diagnostic port.
Old 07-22-19, 07:10 AM
Returd
Intermediate

bumping the fuel pump to constant 12volts fixed the issue. I jumped at the diagnostic port. I'll be going after the fuel pump ECU. I have a couple of spares and will swap, test. If none work properly I'll do the 12 volt mod. I'm thinking this may be a result of the new fuel lines, new aeromotive filter. I did check the filter element, and it's pristine.
Old 11-08-19, 02:15 PM
Returd
Intermediate

Just to close out this thread. I had two problems. I had no spark after sand blasting and painting my igniter bracket. The igniters get ground through the bracket. Factory finish is anodized (conductive). My paint job wasn't.

Second issue was low fuel pressure as evidenced by the fuel dampener screw not lifting. This turned out to be a missing gasket at the tank connection. I only discovered this after replacing the fuel pump (and much other tail chasing). New fuel pump made no difference so I flow and pressure tested the new, old and a spare pump. The two used pumps were both good which lead me to look into the tank (literally) where I discovered the fuel recirculating inside the tank.