Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sc400 Twin Turbo Kit (exhaust system only) Interest?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-19, 09:20 AM
Sony1492
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sc400 Twin Turbo Kit (exhaust system only) Interest?

I'm thinking of making making another set of exhaust manifolds to mount twin t3/t4 turbos, it will mimic the twin turbo system that I made for my own car with some variations.

2.25" off of the modified stock exhaust manifold expanding into 2.5" just before the T3 Flanges. Rh manifold has a V band to allow alternator removal. 2.5" downpipes merging into a single 3", but whereas my original design has no bellows the updated version will have a 2.5" bellow on each side before the merge to 3" to prevent cracking. There would also be brackets on the manifolds to support the turbos weight and further mitigate cracking.

This system allows stock alternator and powersteering but a/c has to go. I'm not sure if it will fit with a stock radiator but I think it will with the hydraulic fan setup removed and converted to electric fans. The main benefit of this setup is it allows you to keep your car low, many setups resort to routing the exhaust under the front subframe which eats up ground clearance that these cars dont have to spare. Installation will require dropping the motor to remove the old manifolds and install the new ones.

As the photos illustrate I'm not a fabricator by trade, everything would be welded using flux core, cut using a chop saw, and cleaned up with an angle grinder. Flux core welding is strong but messy, there will be spatter, and generally, "stacking dimes" is not what the welds will look like. It will not be show quality, more garage built/drift spec, in any event high temp paint and header wrap leads to this being negligible. Everything will be 14ga steel save for the o2 bung and v-bands that will be stainless steel.

The full system with a downpipe takes significantly more time to route under the sway bar and between the framerail, would people be interested in just the stock manifolds with the turbo flange and routing the downpipe themselves?(without making a downpipe I can mount whatever flange someone wants such as a t25, but I require the turbos to make the downpipe hence why I'm only talking about t3 flanges with the full system)

I'm having a hard time uploading photos at this time, will update with more asap. In the mean time heres a link to my build thread that has all the turbo photos around pages 2-4.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...speed-pt2.html

Last edited by Sony1492; 05-12-19 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-13-19, 08:02 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

i would love this manifold set up for a single turbski.
Old 05-13-19, 08:15 AM
Sony1492
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldManTan
i would love this manifold set up for a single turbski.
Its possible, I just bought a second motor that I can use for mockup but for the single turbo I'll need to buy a t4 turbo to verify everything fits.

What would a kit like that be worth with both manifolds and a downpipe up to the firewall?

How specifically would you want the system?(Downpipe dumps out the hood, next to the transmission to meet with an exhaust system, internal wastegate, external gate, etc)
Old 05-13-19, 09:19 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Sony1492
Its possible, I just bought a second motor that I can use for mockup but for the single turbo I'll need to buy a t4 turbo to verify everything fits.

What would a kit like that be worth with both manifolds and a downpipe up to the firewall?

How specifically would you want the system?(Downpipe dumps out the hood, next to the transmission to meet with an exhaust system, internal wastegate, external gate, etc)

i think my only criteria would be for the DP to be by the trans to meet an exhaust because of track noise regulations in my area. i haven't decided on wastegate or turbo yet so not sure about that. i'm planning to turbo after this summer.